Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Build log--1100R (plans #JDT-182) Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Build log--1100R (plans #JDT-182)  This thread currently has 111,254 views. Print
19 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 » Recommend Thread
Bob Hoskins
August 29, 2011, 12:19am Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi Ari;
Looking good, keep her going. When the wings start to go together, it looks and feels more like an airplane. Great work.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 510 - 553
iter
August 29, 2011, 9:27pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 309 days 1 hours 7 minutes
Hours on Thursday: 1
Running total: 368

We glue ribs to the rear spar on the left wing.

Thank you for your encouragement Charlie, Larry and Bob. It motivates me to keep posting these photos.

We nail two little blocks of wood to the bench to hold the spar in place while we maneuver the ribs on it. We decide to glue the rear spar first, thinking it's easier to deal with the simpler butt join on the front when the back is in place.

It is looking wingier and wingier.

Ari.

Attachment: dsc01614_6159.jpg
Size: 86.85 KB

Attachment: dsc01615_4911.jpg
Size: 76.36 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 511 - 553
Charlie Harris
August 29, 2011, 10:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 23 days 31 minutes
winger and winger Yea I like that  Smells good too does'nt it. Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 512 - 553
Bob Hoskins
August 29, 2011, 11:46pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Hey Ari;
Brings back fond memories.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 513 - 553
Phil
September 10, 2011, 9:56pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 4 hours 18 minutes
Hi Ari,
I liked the way you build. It's pure without contamination. Keep it up!
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 514 - 553
thunder669
September 11, 2011, 3:55am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 22 hours 9 minutes
i think his building is to neat and perfect, makes the rest of us look bad, lol. just kidding man, you should be very proud of the high quality of your work

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 515 - 553
iter
September 13, 2011, 3:35am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thank you for your encouragement guys. You do realize I shove all the garbage out of the way just enough that it's not visible on camera, and then reposition it again if I take a shot from a different angle.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 516 - 553
Bob Hoskins
September 13, 2011, 2:26pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Hi Ari;
Hey, don't think you are the only one, LOL.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 517 - 553
skydragon,
September 13, 2011, 6:54pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 16 hours 26 minutes
hi ari
have you fitted the diagonal members?these are ment to be fitted in the wing when glue is wet

sky dragon
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 518 - 553
iter
September 14, 2011, 7:41am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time today: 0.5
Running total: 368.5

Whoops. I just glued in the front spar, and now, after reading sky dragon's post, I see that the plans do say "fit all drag braces before gluing, see construction manual." Sadly, the manual says nothing about gluing in braces before gluing ribs to spars. I was going by the manual, didn't look at the plans today.

OK. Wait till the morning to figure out how to go from here.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 519 - 553
skyblazer
September 14, 2011, 8:37am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 29 days 11 hours 48 minutes
Ari, I did same thing on one of my wing panels, you can get them in it's just a little more difficult. Just don't get too rough with it.  It was one of those OH CRAP moments..
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 520 - 553
Tom Mathes
September 14, 2011, 12:11pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Ari, I put mine in the Airbike wings this way. Take a 1" hole saw and put a hole immediately beside where the front diagonal goes and then you can have an access point to slide the piece into the wing, then carefully measure and fit the diagonal to the rear spar point, remembering to leave a bit of an angle difference because when the diagonal goes in the front will be slightly to the left of the hole. If you choose to use a hole just above the location of the diagonal no angle difference is required. With the diagonal fit at the rear spar and the front of it sticking out the hole cut it almost parallel( remembering the angle will change slightly because of the offset hole) to the front of the front spar. Carefully trim the length of the front of the diagonal and keep fitting it till it will go inside the hole and fit the front spar. The wing will move slightly if you apply a little force to the spars and this will help getting the diagonal inside. #1 diagonal is easy but #2 and 3 are the ones that will take a bit of time to get right. I then made a round piece of 1/16 and glued it to fill the hole and put a 2 1/2" gusset to go over the hole area. It sounds harder than it really is. You could cut the 1" hole in the spar above where the diagonal goes, fit it then fill the hole and put your gusset to cover. Some others on here may have a better way. I could not get the diagonals any where close with out using the hole method because of the spar caps in the way. Sorry I didnt take any pics of this method. I did mine this way just to see if I could figure out a way to put the diagonals in place, experimental you see, actually I think the directly above method for the hole would be the overall best technique.
E-mail Reply: 521 - 553
iter
September 14, 2011, 3:46pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thank you for sharing your process Tom. To clarify, the 1" hole you mention is in the front spar web, right? I remember seeing photos (Larry's maybe) of "light" spars with 3" or so holes in the webs. I wonder if the gussets you are describing are necessary for rigidity.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 522 - 553
Tom Mathes
September 14, 2011, 4:28pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Ari, I dont believe the gussets are necessary for strength, it was just my A&P background kicking in. If it dont move paint it, if it has a hole cover it up.The spars of the Legal Eagle are built with these lightning holes you describe. I used the front spar as I thought the vertical members of the ribs aft of the rear spar might interfere with inserting the diagonal properly, might not tho. I just used a 1" hole so I would have some "wiggle room" to move the diagonals around some before I trimmed the front to fit. You could, if you cut the initial hole right on the front vertical of the rib, use a coping saw and take out the ply straight from the upper and lower part of the hole to the rib and have plenty of room to get an exact fit of the diagonal and remove very little ply in the process.
E-mail Reply: 523 - 553
iter
September 15, 2011, 3:48am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thank you for your advice Tom.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 524 - 553
iter
September 21, 2011, 5:41am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time today: 2
Running total: 370.5

We put in the diagonals, cutting holes like Tom describes. The holes look ugly.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 525 - 553
iter
September 24, 2011, 10:39pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Well, we goofed up again. The 4 diagonals we put in, we put them in backwards. We have 4 anti-drag braces instead of anti-drag braces. Argh!

Some components go together easily. Others, seemingly arbitrarily, feel like pulling teeth.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 526 - 553
iter
October 24, 2011, 4:09am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time on Wednesday: 2x1.5
Running total: 373.5

We cut out the diagonals and put new ones in the way the plans show them. Second time around seems to go a lot smoother. The wing looks shameful with all the holes in spar webs and the remnants of old diagonals and their retaining blocks.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 527 - 553
Bob Hoskins
October 24, 2011, 5:14pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Hi Ari;
Not to worry, when you get the fabric on, who's going to know, LOL. You know it is built right and and your quality of work is top notch. We all learn from our errors and go on. I don't think there is one person on this board that can say he never made an error, LOL. Keep her going. I know there are times that get you down some, but be assured that when you fly this little bird, it will all have been worth the effort. Just take a look at what you have done so far. You will gain the experience to enable you to build another plane if you ever want. We all have learned skills we didn't have before. Chin up bud, your doing great.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 528 - 553
iter
October 24, 2011, 9:12pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thank you for your encouragement Bob.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 529 - 553
iter
October 26, 2011, 6:05am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time on Wednesday: 2x1
Running total: 375.5

We install compression rib members.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 530 - 553
iter
November 6, 2011, 12:27pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Hours on Tuesday: 2x1
Running total: 377.5

We turn the wing around and glue in the trailing edge.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 531 - 553
Dave Pendzick
December 25, 2012, 8:24pm Report to Moderator

Have FUN!
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 15 hours 4 minutes
What ever happened to this thread?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 532 - 553
Bob Hoskins
December 26, 2012, 1:16am Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Dave;
I don't know, he was doing such a great job. By logging his time and his pictures on the board, he was doing many people a great service. It would be the only complete log on any board, I think. The value to people would be great. Not to mention he would have completed a great flying little plane.
I hope he is OK and not sick or something bad. I have tried a few times to get in touch, but no return.
Iter, you are part of us here, come and say hello.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 533 - 553
Dave Pendzick
December 26, 2012, 2:28pm Report to Moderator

Have FUN!
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 15 hours 4 minutes
I hear ya, this thread has really helped me in my build.  I reference it frequently.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 534 - 553
nschmoker
January 22, 2013, 3:26am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 18 hours 48 minutes
I have been in contact with Ari. If anybody is interested in his project he can be contacted at ari@lib.aero. I believe that he may entertain offers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 535 - 553
iter
July 10, 2013, 6:53am Report to Moderator

Ace
Sadly, the day has come when I must admit that I'm never finishing this airplane.

With a divorce and co-parenting a 4-year-old child, and now running a business, the airplane fits about as well as a round peg in my square life. In a few years Leah might be old enough to take an interest in the project. But this is a single-seater, and it would be another 11 years before she can solo in it. As it stands, I prefer to spend what free time I have with her on things we can enjoy together, right now.

So on to the airplane. I am willing to entertain any serious offer. The alternative is a charitable tax write-off. I need to move the fuselage out of its storage space this month. The people who are generously letting me store it in their warehouse need the space.

The fuselage is on gear; tail is complete; control linkages are in place for elevator and ailerons; all spars and all ribs complete. Left wing is complete through trailing edge installation. I have all remaining wood and hardware, fabric and covering materials. I also have a factory wheel brake kit. Entire build process is visible in this thread, but if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

The airplane is in Sunnyvale, Calif.

Again, I am willing to entertain any serious offers. As is, where is. Must go this month.

Ari.

Attachment: img_2215_3996.jpg
Size: 298.83 KB

Attachment: img_2214_5668.jpg
Size: 201.33 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 536 - 553
Arthur Withy
July 10, 2013, 7:54am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Hi Ari,

Well so sorry to read your last post. I too am divorced. I brought my daughter up myself as the Ex didnt want her at all, and of coarse I did. (no Comments respectfully). I have spent the last 8 years single raising a child and working and flying both my Minimax and Rans S6s...Life does go on....and so do the adventures...in the Sky..and other places

Good luck with your choices.

Shame you have to let your aircraft go.....my Jodel is still in the workshop

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 537 - 553
PUFF
July 10, 2013, 11:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
I hung my fuse in my Den for 2 years....
Stripped the gear and tail feathers off, stuck it thru a window and just hung it from center and tail spring......
Worked out well......
If you have room, it doesn't weigh a lot.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 538 - 553
texasbuzzard
July 10, 2013, 12:34pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
Ari, i am sure you will sell it but unless you really need the money it won't justify the time, love, and the desire to fly. you have done a great job building it so hang it up, go and enjoy raising your beautiful daughter. it will be waiting for you. if you still decide to sell it i will put the word out.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 539 - 553
19 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment