Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Build log--1100R (plans #JDT-182) Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 21 Guests

Build log--1100R (plans #JDT-182)  This thread currently has 111,260 views. Print
19 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 » Recommend Thread
Jacob Lolk
September 17, 2008, 4:24pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 days 15 hours 2 minutes
Ari,

On page 5 of your build log thread, on October 5th 2007, you posted a picture (dsc00495_5064.jpg) related to the control stick assembly. I started my Himax back in 1988 when I ordered the plans set from TEAM, probably making my project the longest ongoing since I am just about done with the woodwork. Anyway In that photo I see in the underlaying blueprint that there has been issued an "Angle Bracket Modification" on the angle that connects the torque tube with the aileron yoke. In my drawings the angle only has one bolt in each one of those parts, instead of the two your drawings indicate.

Would somebody please be kind enough to let me know what it says under that "Angle Bracket Modification" header which is all I can read in the photo.

Jacob
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 420 - 553
iter
September 17, 2008, 5:15pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 309 days 1 hours 7 minutes
Hi Jacob, welcome to the forum! I know people who've been building an airplane longer than you have, so don't lose heart! We've had an influx of international members lately, which is very encouraging. We literally have members all over the world!

The modified angle bracket is a result of experience with the original design that showed that more toque could be applied to the system than a single bolt and narrow angle bracket could sustain with friction. As a result, the yoke would slip and develop too much play. The modified angle bracket uses two bolts where the old design one used one.

I'm sure that if you contacted JDT, and gave them your plans number, they'd be happy to mail you a paper copy of this addendum sheet. Alternatively, if you post your email here or PM it to me, I'll be happy to send you a scan of mine.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 421 - 553
Jacob Lolk
September 17, 2008, 8:34pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 days 15 hours 2 minutes
Hi Ari,

Thank you so much for your welcome notice. I realize that I have never introduced myself even though I have been a active reader of this forum several years now. Whenever I had a doubt I could pretty much look the answer up here, much the same way one would be able to find other facts in an encyclopedia. Your build log is extremely interesting reading and full of really good photos.

I am actually from Denmark but have lived the past 9 years here in Madrid. One day I will post some photos of my project which has followed me ever since I was 18.

With respect to the angle bracket modification on the control stick assembly, I kindly ask you to send a scan. At some point I will make a list of the bulletins and modifications I have and ask JTD to check whether I am missing some.

Jacob
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 422 - 553
iter
September 17, 2008, 8:58pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Jacob,

Thank you for your kind words about my photos. I got your email and I'll scan the addendum and email it to you when I get home tonight. There are a couple of sheets like that in my set of plans. I'll see about making you a list. My plans are 14 months old, and I don't think there were any new addenda published since then.

I would be wonderful to you see some of your photos.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 423 - 553
BlueMax
January 2, 2009, 3:05pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
Any progress on the max as of late?

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 424 - 553
Jack10739
January 10, 2009, 8:56pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 5 days 39 minutes
Hi
The wood in the photos appear to be pine ,is this true? I thought spars and longerons should be spruce. Can someone clarify that before I start to buy wood for my 1300Z. I chose the 1300 because I have a 1/2 vw engine,37hp that needs a home.
Jack
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 425 - 553
Pawnee
January 10, 2009, 9:20pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 7 hours 43 minutes
Spruce is what i used on my 1600 ribs and spars . Aircraft spruce has some great pine spruce for ribs look to be cut out very nice.

Brian long
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 426 - 553
Gene
January 11, 2009, 5:39pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 9 days 1 hours 4 minutes
Brian, I'm not sure what you mean by "pine spruce" that you say AS&S has available.   Pine is pine and spruce is spruce.   Two different critters.

Gene
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 427 - 553
theecoop
February 8, 2009, 2:41am Report to Moderator

Flying
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 5 hours 17 minutes
Nice work ,love the walk through of your project

Perfect Practice makes perfect!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 428 - 553
Knut A
February 19, 2009, 1:55pm Report to Moderator

LN-YJE
Ace
Time Online: 21 days 16 hours 8 minutes

"I have very good reason to try to finish the apirplane by February. If I don't, it is likely I will have to take a much longer break from building it."

Hi Ari

I can see you are logging in at times you usually should be at sleep....
I suppose the reason is either..

1- working hard on your MiniMax project even at night.....or
2- working hard on a possible awake MiniAri project?

Will you please update us on your project(s). With pics please.
I suppose I have the board with me in a greeting to Irene...we miss her smile when stiring T-88...
Knut A
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 429 - 553
Ed Gil
February 19, 2009, 11:36pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 18 days 3 hours 58 minutes
Ari, I have also missed hearing from you on this board, so I second Knut's inquire......keep us posted please!

Ed Gil.... Max owner -Hays, KS
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 430 - 553
sky dragon
February 24, 2009, 9:06pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
great idea the clothes pegs,i'm just starting on my second 1600r.now were did she leave the washing?
E-mail Reply: 431 - 553
iter
September 7, 2009, 2:33am Report to Moderator

Ace
I am trying to restart my miniMAX project again after not touching it for a year. This time I'm getting help. I'm recruiting one of my former Young Eagles who is now working on his private to help me build the plane. (He is learning on a scholarship from my local EAA chapter). The deal is that he keeps me on track and helps where he can, and gets a share of the finished airplane in return.

This is my first post in a year. I am now the father of a 4.5-month-old girl, Leah Deborah. I am learning more than I ever believed possible about unconditional love. This last year is quite a trip. I am also learning about being there for Irina and Leah. I am learning about making choices and finding a balance I am happy with.

I review this thread and plot the number of posts in it and the number of hours I put into the airplane every month.I recall my original plan to finish it in 300 hours and 3 months. I chuckle. I wonder if I can finish the project before Leah is old enough to help me with it.

Ari.

Attachment: leahdeborah_7015.jpg
Size: 154.03 KB

Attachment: workhours_5157.png
Size: 6.65 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 432 - 553
himaxflyer
September 7, 2009, 2:53am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 38 minutes
Good to hear from you again Ari.  Just try to do something on the plane every day, and you will get it done!  Take care,  Jim Chuk
PS  you have a cute little girl
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 433 - 553
Randy lewis
September 7, 2009, 3:18am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 21 days 18 hours 20 minutes
Great to have you back Ari.  I've seen you lurking and hoped you would get restarted.  Beautiful little girl, you'll have your hands full.  Brilliant idea to get young eagle support, now you have an excuse to work on your plane and complete it.
Randy
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 434 - 553
iter
September 7, 2009, 7:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hours today: 2.5
Running total: 332.5

I have DXF drawings of main wing spars.

I want to finish a couple of small things on the fuselage and move to the wings. I have a complete set of ribs and plan to make spars next. The manual recommends that I glue the spar frames first and glue on the webs later. I wonder if it may be easier to lay the webs on the bench and glue the spar caps and verticals directly to them, all in one operation.

Chuck, Randy, GOW--thank you for your encouragement. I love the comradery on this board. Randy--this is my plan exactly behind getting a YE on board. Now I have a commitment to him.

Ari.

Attachment: spars_9541.png
Size: 7.64 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 435 - 553
Knut A
September 7, 2009, 9:17am Report to Moderator

LN-YJE
Ace
Time Online: 21 days 16 hours 8 minutes
Good to see you back, Iter. And it seems that you made a good job besides the MiniMax-project too....
Congrat to you both for that!
Knut A
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 436 - 553
Ed Gil
September 7, 2009, 11:34am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 18 days 3 hours 58 minutes
Ari,
Congratulations to you and Irena, your daughter is beautiful!
So glad to hear back from you!

Ed Gil.... Max owner -Hays, KS
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 437 - 553
iter
September 8, 2009, 2:17am Report to Moderator

Ace
Knut, Ed, thank you for your support. I show your responses to Irina and she says, wow, these guys remember you and welcome you back! Thanks guys.

I am studying the spar drawing, and I notice that I am not clear on the relationship between the front and the rear spar as far as the diagonal RS-11 pieces go. I notice that in my drawings, it is farther outboard on the rear spar than the front. I superimpose the rear (red) on the front (green) and the displacement is apparent. I wonder if this is an error in my drawing, or an artifact of the design and the angles between the wing and the wing struts.

Ari.

Attachment: dsc01342_1715.jpg
Size: 226.30 KB

Attachment: spar_detail_8335.png
Size: 2.91 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 438 - 553
djohn
September 8, 2009, 2:44am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 24 days 19 hours 31 minutes
Good Job Ari!!!

Dennis
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 439 - 553
Randy lewis
September 8, 2009, 3:17am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 21 days 18 hours 20 minutes
Ari, it's been a long time but I remember that when I was rewady to install the aluminum brackets they wern't centered on one of the diaganols.  I couldn't figure out what was off, everything was to print.  What you show looks like what i saw.  I ended up adding some thickness to one side of the diagonal so that the holes were drilled more or less in the center.  I think you should use the 64" dim to the strut attach hole and work back to the centerline of the diagonal.  I may be wrong but I think one might need to shift slightly.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 440 - 553
iter
September 8, 2009, 6:19am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hours today: 3
Running total: 335.5

Drawing and jigging wing spars.

Thank you Dennis for your encouragement. Randy, I notice that the 46" hole is 1/4" lower on the rear spar than the front. I wonder how it all works out in the end with wing incidence etc. I am not clear on what is horizontal when the wing is on the plane. If the bottom of the wing is parallel to the reference line, the bottoms of the front and rear spars are level. Starting from the 64" point, the rear spar is spot on; the front is .033" off center--that's just over 1/32".

I feel a lot of excitement as I'm starting to work on the spars. This feels like a milestone. For a year and half, I'm saying that the next thing I plan to work on are the spars, and now I am building them. I notice that I attach a special significance to spars as a critical load-bearing piece of the airplane. I like the feeling of handling RS wood again.

One of the lessons from my CAD experience is that I am not making pubilcation-quality drawings. I want just enough DXF to build one set of parts. I forgo full-size printout this time. I print 3 legal-size pages on my inkjet--the ends and the middle with diagonals on it. I draw the other verticals directly on the bench. I notice that small pieces of paper are easier to maneuver on the bench than 15-foot long rolls. I nail a piece of 1/2" plywood to the side of the bench at every vertical. Tomorrow I clamp the spar cap to them and start cutting verticals.

Ari.

Attachment: dsc01343_1245.jpg
Size: 96.54 KB

Attachment: dsc01347_6455.jpg
Size: 83.23 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 441 - 553
Pilotpeat
September 8, 2009, 7:27pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 4 hours 21 minutes
lol  thats funny, I have a tape measure exactly like that one!

Pete
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 442 - 553
iter
September 9, 2009, 6:25am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hours today: 0.5
Running total: 336

I cut some verticals for spars.

I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 443 - 553
Harless Greear
September 9, 2009, 10:30am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 35 days 14 hours 19 minutes
Ari, The only critical measurement for drilling the spar wing brackets is the distance vertical from the bottom of the wing.. Make sure you have at least what the print calls for and 1/8" more would be OK.. Be sure to put the hole in the center of the bracket..

The incidence is set by the root mounts  and the last thing you do to configure the wing is to drill the front and rear struts where the telescope together to set the dihedreal and zero washout..

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 444 - 553
Charlie Harris
September 9, 2009, 9:42pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 23 days 31 minutes
ARI:  Since You are just starting Your spars, there is one think I want to bring to your attention!! Be very carefull and make a set for a right wing and a set for the left wing.  Don't laugh, it's easy, and has happened many times. I did not do it. but it has happened. also be very carefull when cutting the top of the cap angle. Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 445 - 553
iter
September 10, 2009, 1:24am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thank you for your warning Charlie. I wonder if there is anything in particular you feel deserves special attention about the cap angle.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 446 - 553
Charlie Harris
September 10, 2009, 2:43am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 23 days 31 minutes
No, but note that they both angle down toward the sheeting. the webbing is on the front of the front spar and the rear of the rear spar. I am sort of unorthodox, so I cut mine on a band saw. Scared of a table saw but am getting better. Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 447 - 553
iter
September 10, 2009, 3:18am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thank you Charlie. I wonder how the bandsaw worked for you in this application. I am friendly with table saws, but the ones I have access to don't have enough clearance around them to cut 12-foot spars. The owner is not willing to rotate them for my spars, but is happy to move one of the four bandsaws.

Ari.

Attachment: shop_ne_2527.jpg
Size: 89.48 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 448 - 553
iter
September 10, 2009, 6:29am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hours today: 1
Running total: 337

I cut all the sticks I need to make two front spars. Plan to glue one up tomorrow.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 449 - 553
19 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment