Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Build log--1100R (plans #JDT-182) Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 21 Guests

Build log--1100R (plans #JDT-182)  This thread currently has 111,263 views. Print
19 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 » Recommend Thread
iter
April 7, 2008, 7:40am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 309 days 1 hours 7 minutes
Hours today: 3.5
Running total: 304.5

Drilled gear legs at 37 degrees for axle, installed axle mounting brackets, drilled axle, temporarily installed axle on gear legs.

The LG is just sitting on top of the fuse in this photo--but I expect that it will be mounted tomorrow.

Peat: I knew that tree needed trimming when I bought the house 4 years ago. Finally got to it.

Ari.

Attachment: dsc01027_1714.jpg
Size: 54.57 KB

Attachment: dsc01033_5621.jpg
Size: 44.02 KB

Attachment: dsc01034_2178.jpg
Size: 58.87 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 360 - 553
Pilotpeat
April 7, 2008, 5:04pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 4 hours 21 minutes
I'm guesing that the axle is made out of 4130, but I cannot tell from the pictures-do the plans call for a solid round bar or is it a tube?  If tube, what wall thickness?  My weedhopper had a solid axle.

Pete
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 361 - 553
Charlie Harris
April 7, 2008, 6:59pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 23 days 31 minutes
It is a tube. yes it is 4130. I think .058, My plan is at the airport I will check if no one speaks up. Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 362 - 553
Charlie Harris
April 7, 2008, 7:06pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Iter:  Everything looking good. Don't overlook the little !/4 plate on the bottom of the fus. at the front of the gear. Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 363 - 553
Randy lewis
April 7, 2008, 9:42pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 21 days 18 hours 20 minutes
I think it's more like .125 thk.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 364 - 553
iter
April 7, 2008, 10:21pm Report to Moderator

Ace
It's indeed 4130, 1" OD x .095

Attachment: dsc01035_5918.jpg
Size: 42.39 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 365 - 553
iter
April 8, 2008, 6:56am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hours today: 4.5
Running total: 309

Installed landing gear.

Ari.

Attachment: dsc01046_5209.jpg
Size: 49.04 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 366 - 553
iter
April 8, 2008, 7:01am Report to Moderator

Ace
A couple of questions:

Why are there no washers specified for gear leg bolts? Washers /are/ specified for the other side of the hinge.

What bolts are supposed to hold diagonal tubes to the axle? I couldn't see a number in the plans. It looked like AN3-16A would be a good fit, but I didn't have any left in the kit. I used AN3-17A's. I wonder if they are needed somewhere else...

Ari.

Attachment: dsc01047_8697.jpg
Size: 49.69 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 367 - 553
HenryBrown
April 8, 2008, 8:26am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 14 days 10 hours 14 minutes
Ari,

One of the purposes of a washer is to spread the pressure from the bolt head or nut over a larger area to prevent crushing/damaging the wood.  Where the nut or bolt head is against metal (like the hinge that holds the landing gear on) a washer is not needed because the metal hinge itself does the job of the washer.  When a nut is used against a piece of metal, sometimes a split lock-washer or star washer is used to keep the nut from coming loose and backing off. However, no lock-washer is needed here because you are using self locking (Nyloc) nuts.

Hope this helps clear things up a little.

Henry
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 368 - 553
andrew81401
April 8, 2008, 12:03pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 6 hours 43 minutes
hi there ari this is just a question i am currently in the process setting up my garrage to build my kit and i was just wondering how long your work bench is thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 369 - 553
Richard Wessel
April 8, 2008, 1:01pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Ari,
  Use the large washers on the gear leg bolts. Why it was omitted on the plans I don't know but they are needed there!
                                                                               Rich
E-mail Reply: 370 - 553
Bob Hoskins
April 8, 2008, 4:07pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi Ari;
This log of yours is a wonderfull thing for all of us. This is one of the most active BBS's I've seen so far. You are doing a nice job on your plane. Wait till you fly it, you will love it even more.
As for hours, I quit counting at 700, LOL. The hours didn't matter anyway. I was enjoying the plane.
Just another note, Wayne did a nice job on the plans. You should see what is out there. I am presently building a 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. The "plans" are terrible. I wish Wayne Ison had drawn them.
Keep up the good work Ari, you are helping a lot of people.
Fly safe, Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 371 - 553
iter
April 9, 2008, 1:20am Report to Moderator

Ace
Rollout! Fuselage on gear!

Major milestone achieved.

Ari.

Given that I spent 9 hours building my table, I'm exactly 300 hours into the project at this point.

Attachment: dsc_1857sm_9960.jpg
Size: 70.50 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 372 - 553
Richard Wessel
April 9, 2008, 3:55am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Looking good Ari!! I'm about to the point where your at in my rebuild, but with a bunch more hours in it than you (way to picky for my own good). I was wondering did you build your gear on the bench and  transfer it or did you just build it directly on the fuselage? And on my plans the bolts holding the diagonal tubes to the axle are indeed AN3-17A's. My plans do not show any washers on the gear leg bolts also, but they are needed.

Once again Great Job! It is indeed a milestone that I am eagerly looking forward to myself.                        
                                                         Rich
E-mail Reply: 373 - 553
iter
April 9, 2008, 6:27am Report to Moderator

Ace
I built it right on the fuse. It seems to me that the main advantage of building it on the bench like the manual says is that you don't have to reach so far to work on some of the fittings, and it isn't as much of an issue for me--I'm 6'4"

There is a separate, unrelated problem that I ran into though: 2 of the 6 bolts on each side went too close to crossmembers to put nuts on them (right side shown; the same is true on the left.) What can I do? Do I need to plug these holes and drill new ones? Will this weaken the longeron? Suggestions appreciated.

Ari.

Attachment: dsc_1820sm_1813.jpg
Size: 27.88 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 374 - 553
Bob Daly
April 9, 2008, 1:18pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Use a Dremel or similar tool and nibble away just enough of the crossmember to get a washer on the bolt end.  If you're afraid of removing too much wood, grind the washer edge flat a bit.  
Private Message Reply: 375 - 553
Charlie Harris
April 9, 2008, 4:24pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Ater: Mike had this one place and mine did not??? just put a triangle corner block on the rear of the cross peice and grind the cross peice to get a washer and bolt on. Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 376 - 553
Larryg
April 10, 2008, 1:29am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 days 5 hours 59 minutes
Hi Iter,

Your log has got me fired up to build my plane.  I will keep my A-65 and other stuff from the Jodel for later use.

Are you going to brace your fuselage for crash protection?

Larry
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 377 - 553
Charlie Harris
April 10, 2008, 2:56am Report to Moderator

Ace
Build it light to fly>>> You can't build it strong enough to crash, only heavy enough to. Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 378 - 553
Larryg
April 10, 2008, 3:14am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 days 5 hours 59 minutes
Hi,
I will follow the plans and build light.  

I have read the forward fuselage can come apart in hard landing.  Just looking at others opinion at making a great plane safer.  

I'm not planning to test it,  it would be just in case.

Larry
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 379 - 553
iter
April 10, 2008, 4:48am Report to Moderator

Ace
Larry & Charlie, thank you for your kind words. I'm glad that you guys find this useful. I received so much information and support from this forum, I'm happy to give back.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 380 - 553
iter
April 30, 2008, 6:33am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hours today: 1
Running total: 310

Made the 4 aluminum brackets that hold horizontal stabilizer to fuselage. In conjunction with Maker Faire where I'll exhibit my MAX project and my CNC art, our local broadsheet, San Jose Mercury News, interviewed me today and photographed me while I was working on the airplane. They said an article should appear a day or two before the show, which runs this Saturday and Sunday.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 381 - 553
flybob13
May 1, 2008, 1:40am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 5 days 20 hours 43 minutes
Good for you Ari, I know you will do the homebuilding community proud.
Bob
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 382 - 553
iter
May 1, 2008, 7:02am Report to Moderator

Ace
Yeah, I feel like a real celebrity :=)

Hours today: 1
Running total: 311

Installed stabilizer brackets on fuselage and drilled matching holes in stab. There isn't enough room in my garage to turn the fuse over and install the stab. I'm taking the project to Maker Faire tomorrow and I'll install the tail there for the first time. Hope it fits :=)

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 383 - 553
iter
May 5, 2008, 5:36am Report to Moderator

Ace
I just came back from Maker Faire where I exhibited my miniMAX and some of my CNC art. This was the first time I had the tail on the fuselage and it fir right on. I'm totally exhausted from two days of non-stop talking to people. Over the last 4 days I packed the airplane into a truck, put it together at the show, fought to keep some 60,000 people from fondling it too much, then taking it apart again and hauling it home.

Rick Coykendall stopped by this morning and we had a chat about my project and his v-max. This is the first time I met a member of this board in real life and that was very nice. Rick wisely came by early in the morning before the crowds rolled in. You can see some of my CNC art in the background. A couple more photos in Irene's photo bucket: http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/irina_krupnik/

Also, here's the Mercury News article that came out yesterday (amazingly, some of the stuff that got printed is actually related to what I said. not all of it though) http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9141345

Ari.

Attachment: dsc01090_3518.jpg
Size: 138.45 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 384 - 553
Ricardo
May 6, 2008, 12:23am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Excellent Ari !
I can image the load of questions while attending so many visitors  
You couldn't get more inspired after all these events .

Regards

Ricardo
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 385 - 553
iter
June 1, 2008, 8:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Since I did almost no work on the project in the last two months, I have to conclude that I can only do two of these three things at once: Work on airplanes, hold a job and be married. It looks like the project will go on a back burner for a while.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 386 - 553
skyblazer
June 1, 2008, 10:54pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 29 days 11 hours 48 minutes
I know where your comming from, Held down my job, worked on my plane and put my wife on the back burner and she is still with me.  
It worked out but was not something I could get away with again. Your doing it right!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 387 - 553
Mike Howe
June 2, 2008, 2:57am Report to Moderator

MiniMax, Hawk, GA (Tipacer), another Max to finish
Ace
Time Online: 7 days 7 hours 30 minutes
I have no idea how hard they work you out in CA, but here in podunk Michigan, we just mozy out to the garage and do one thing each day.  Times can get very tough to try to balance all those parts of your life.  But, if you can try to do just one small thing each day, and two the day after you miss one day, you'll get through it.  Your plane may begin to collect a few cob webs while you get through the tough days.  That's OK.  It'll still fly just the same.  You've worked so hard on this plane.  It won't hurt to slow down a bit.  After all, you won't be flying very fast in it...  why not build the same way.

Best of wishes!

Mike Howe

Mike Howe
howetyr@yahoo.com
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 388 - 553
radfordc
June 2, 2008, 2:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
The trouble with building is that you think you need to spend many hours in order to accomplish things.  Budd Davisson ( http://www.airbum.com ) developed what he calls the "Quik-Project Approach".

He writes:
"First, I can’t change the way my life runs. There are too many deadlines, student’s schedules, financial stuff, etc., that form it into what it is. So, I’ll have to work within that framework and I happened upon the perfect solution last week during a particularly productive Commode Counseling Session (CCS). I’m calling it the Quik-Project Approach to Life. Under this approach, I change my outlook on shop time. Rather than thinking in hours, look at projects, no matter how large, in chucks of a half hour. I can manage a half hour here and there, but an entire hour will never happen.

To put this concept into action, I dedicated a big section of my ever-present commode notebook to first breaking the roadster down to half hour segments. Every time I’m in there meditating, I mentally break another section of the car into half hour projects and write them down.

For instance, I need to separate a fat bundle of wiring into three smaller ones and arrange them vertically in a squeezed-down Adel clamp to fit between the firewall and the fuse box. I can do that in a half hour easily. And it’ll be major progress on that particular project. I’ve almost finished the roadster list and it has less than 100 steps, 50 hours total. Piece of cake. Next I’ll do a list for The Accuracy Project. However, the desk knife is such an easy project, no more than three hours total, that it may move ahead in priority.

I feel so much better just having come up with the Quik-Project concept. And I’ve already done one of the steps on the knife (blanked out the handle). So life is good. And it’s moving ahead.

So, what about today? Screw it! Maybe I’ll just go back to bed."
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 389 - 553
19 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment