Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Eros in Thailand Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Eros in Thailand  This thread currently has 20,302 views. Print
17 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 » Recommend Thread
Arthur Withy
February 5, 2017, 10:18am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Absoutely outstanding....WOW

and such a feeling of perfection for you

Really Impressive build...thankyou for sharing it with me..and all of the ETLB

cheers Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 360 - 503
fiebichpv
February 5, 2017, 4:24pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Outstanding craftsmanship, absolutely outstanding! You have set a very high bar by which to measure our own workmanship.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 361 - 503
bigbrixx1
February 5, 2017, 11:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 16 hours
Wow absolutely fantastic!! Your workmanship puts me to shame! Soon we will join Bruce in the air!!!

V-max. Finished. Now in phase one flight
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 362 - 503
Reto S
February 6, 2017, 2:38am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 13 days 19 hours 26 minutes
Quoted from Dick Rake
Reto,
Your workmanship is outstanding. Once you get the airplane complete and fully assembled  the vibration and shaking you have now will be reduced because of the extra mass of the wings. Looking forward to seeing the finished airplane.
Dick

Thank you Dick. Your input regarding vibrations makes perfect sense. A part of the problem might be the presently installed mounts, which are too soft (Spruce medium). Hirth recommends up to six large rubber mounts "as hard as possible". I found a supplier in Canada of original, hard Barry Mounts (old stock). I will give it a try...  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 363 - 503
Reto S
February 6, 2017, 2:45am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from aeronut
WOW that is very impressive. Lots of planning of systems! With great execution on the build. Going to be a fantastic airplane.

Thank you aeronut. Slowly I see light on the horizon... actually I am still enjoying to build...  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 364 - 503
Reto S
February 6, 2017, 3:07am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from Arthur Withy
Absoutely outstanding....WOW

and such a feeling of perfection for you

Really Impressive build...thankyou for sharing it with me..and all of the ETLB

cheers Arthur

Arthur, thank you for your kind words. There is too much building time logged already... I have simply given up trying to move faster with the build. Many times I had to do the same task twice, because the result was not pleasing... Over here there is no other builder around to share any kind of building related information or knowledge transfer. Therefore I appreciate ETLB as a vital knowledge source and inspiration very much... Cheers Reto
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 365 - 503
Reto S
February 6, 2017, 3:13am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from fiebichpv
Outstanding craftsmanship, absolutely outstanding! You have set a very high bar by which to measure our own workmanship.

Paul Fiebich

Hi Paul, your words are very kind... But for the pictures I am using a very old, low resolution camera... And I am fiddling a lot, which is not documented at all...  
Reto
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 366 - 503
Reto S
February 6, 2017, 3:30am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from bigbrixx1
Wow absolutely fantastic!! Your workmanship puts me to shame! Soon we will join Bruce in the air!!!

Brian, thank you very much, but that is "nonsense"... Look what you have achieved during the past 3 years... Your Max looks fantastic! I am at 1750 hours into my build now... May I ask how many hours did you log until now?
And yes, hopefully I can join you and Bruce in the skies this year. Need to sort out medical and license issues on top of the build though... Your determination was/is inspiring...  
Reto
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 367 - 503
Arthur Withy
February 6, 2017, 10:22am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hey Reto...I too... am a perfectionist....and yes 3 times to try to build something is acceptable ... in my world...and probably yours.....however as the build progress you do learn and once is enough ......you just have to make yourself happy....and having done all the HARD work ....you will be very happy with the end result for yourself...and all the great praise from onlookers will be your satisfaction of building a great aeroplane....that in in the end is ALL yours...!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 368 - 503
Arthur Withy
February 6, 2017, 10:29am Report to Moderator

Ace
and it is built with love and dedication...better than a certified aircraft....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 369 - 503
Reto S
February 7, 2017, 2:28am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from Arthur Withy
and it is built with love and dedication...better than a certified aircraft....

Hi Arthur

Some rather philosophical images spring to my mind, triggered by your last responses...

Your view towards building and most probably towards life in general, captures the essence of the attitude we share: Simply to do the best one can, with love and concentration... Still knowing though, perfection will be impossible to achieve...

The ultimate satisfaction is to watch a "Japanese spirited" craftsman at work with skills he acquired during a lifetime of concentration and complete dedication. The resulting product is just stunningly pure and yes, sometimes perfect.

It is a kind of luxury to withdraw from the rat race of daily life and spend ones time secluded in a workshop.
From my experience though, sometimes it would be beneficial to be more "lenient" towards daily chores and other people, regarding self imposed "high" standards. But it is difficult to change character at the age of 55...  

In our fast moving world these qualities are becoming more and more obsolete. Nevertheless, I believe most people sharing a big dream like we all do here, will ultimately do their very best to create something which they can be very proud of...

Have a great day!
Reto

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 370 - 503
Arthur Withy
February 7, 2017, 9:57am Report to Moderator

Ace
well NO...we just want to DO it RIGHT........and the minmax can suffer "average" builders...because its a great design ...by a man who knew how to perfect simple designs.....Wayne was a very very clever man....I wish I had the opportunity to meet him.

Ive spoken to an Australian man (and a friend) who went to meet him before he purchased the kit and built the aircraft...he ...the  Aussie was ...so right about Wayne and his design
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 371 - 503
beragoobruce
February 7, 2017, 11:30pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 41 minutes
Great, well done Reto!  Your engine & its installation look to be as good as the rest of the build - superb! (your mansion looks pretty good, too)

Now hurry up & get that plane covered, so we can share flying stories.

Go Reto!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 372 - 503
Ricardo
February 9, 2017, 12:25am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
HI Reto!..... I'm speechless.....  We, the average builders, just have to admire such a  pristine work.
Some of us may be sort of "perfectionists" but  talent has to be right next to desire. Congratulations!

Too much work and high temperatures keep me grounded ... however it seems we're heading to a good year here at the farm .
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 373 - 503
Reto S
February 10, 2017, 1:34am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from Arthur Withy
well NO...we just want to DO it RIGHT........and the minmax can suffer "average" builders...because its a great design ...by a man who knew how to perfect simple designs.....Wayne was a very very clever man....I wish I had the opportunity to meet him.

Ive spoken to an Australian man (and a friend) who went to meet him before he purchased the kit and built the aircraft...he ...the  Aussie was ...so right about Wayne and his design

Without a doubt Mr. Wayne was a genius in his own right...
He kinda applied "form follows function", but still created a pleasing looking airplane...  

How is your "Jodel build" progressing?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 374 - 503
Reto S
February 10, 2017, 1:44am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from beragoobruce
Great, well done Reto!  Your engine & its installation look to be as good as the rest of the build - superb! (your mansion looks pretty good, too)

Now hurry up & get that plane covered, so we can share flying stories.

Go Reto!

Bruce, I do what I can to join as soon as possible this exclusive flying Guild of brave man!

Btw, a while ago I mentioned to you that I have got 0 deg toe-in on my metal lg, oops, it does have got toe-in too...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 375 - 503
Reto S
February 10, 2017, 2:08am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from Ricardo
HI Reto!..... I'm speechless.....  We, the average builders, just have to admire such a  pristine work.
Some of us may be sort of "perfectionists" but  talent has to be right next to desire. Congratulations!

Too much work and high temperatures keep me grounded ... however it seems we're heading to a good year here at the farm .

Ricardo, thank you for your kind words. The pictures of your beautifully finished, uncovered MM are still in front of the my reference MM binder in the workshop. The build might be a kind of therapy for me...

So no signs of El Niño yet? The Japanese weather forecasting agency has forecasted the return of the El Niño weather pattern in the second half of 2017.

Forgive my ignorance, what are you normally growing?

... not even in for a tiny evening flight?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 376 - 503
Reto S
February 10, 2017, 2:23am Report to Moderator
Ace
Installed hard Barry mounts (#15) and will re-tune carburettors.
Hope that will reduce vibrations...

Attachment: dsc00515_2aa_2955.jpg
Size: 80.21 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 377 - 503
Arthur Withy
February 10, 2017, 10:44am Report to Moderator

Ace
Sadly it was a work of art...and ....due to hard times...and no job I had to sell it to pay the bills.....the GOOD news...is that it will BE flying soon...a friend purchased it...and its almost ready for covering...the new owner is doing a great job...im a little  JEALOUS....He has a 100hp rotax for power...which will give 120 knots cruise

and now Im employed again.......so cutting up the raft,,,to stay afloat to keep the sharks at a distance is a terrible experience ...however I still have my hangar, my minmax and my Rans

Dick, Larry, Bruce, Bob H ,Ricardo and the Ace...have been great support...and a few other nameless angels

Bills and taxes never stop................neither does the will to.. FLY

cheers Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 378 - 503
Reto S
February 11, 2017, 1:37pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from Arthur Withy
Sadly it was a work of art...and ....due to hard times...and no job I had to sell it to pay the bills.....the GOOD news...is that it will BE flying soon...a friend purchased it...and its almost ready for covering...the new owner is doing a great job...im a little  JEALOUS....He has a 100hp rotax for power...which will give 120 knots cruise

and now Im employed again.......so cutting up the raft,,,to stay afloat to keep the sharks at a distance is a terrible experience ...however I still have my hangar, my minmax and my Rans

Dick, Larry, Bruce, Bob H ,Ricardo and the Ace...have been great support...and a few other nameless angels

Bills and taxes never stop................neither does the will to.. FLY

cheers Arthur

Wow Arthur, what a story and how nice that you were able to keep your dreams alive.
It's great that other people were there and gave you in one way or the other support and motivation.

Life can be a b****, but as long as your health is not letting you down, there is no way a real pilot will go down and give up. The weather changes so does ones hardship (or luck)...

Keep going and do what you have to do!

Cheers
Reto

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 379 - 503
Ricardo
February 11, 2017, 4:40pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Quoted from Reto S

... So no signs of El Niño yet? The Japanese weather forecasting agency has forecasted the return of the El Niño weather pattern in the second half of 2017.

Forgive my ignorance, what are you normally growing?

... not even in for a tiny evening flight?  

Growing tangerines and avocados...
Weather is very hot and extreme rain on desert  areas are creating avalanches along the Peruvian coast. They are called "huaycos" in Indian language.
"El Niño" is bad news and the way the climate is behaving I wouldn't surprise.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 380 - 503
Reto S
March 21, 2017, 10:42am Report to Moderator
Ace
The fuselage is dismantled again and ready for covering...

Attachment: dsc00529a_564.jpg
Size: 52.61 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 381 - 503
Arthur Withy
March 21, 2017, 10:49am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hmm its like a gorgeous lady......naked is always better...LOL
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 382 - 503
Reto S
March 21, 2017, 10:50am Report to Moderator
Ace
... and the first wing, in its basic structure, is ready for glueing...
Happy

Attachment: dsc00531a_1438.jpg
Size: 62.23 KB

Attachment: dsc00534a_5957.jpg
Size: 49.06 KB

Attachment: dsc00535a_3514.jpg
Size: 50.88 KB

Attachment: dsc00536a_3671.jpg
Size: 65.00 KB

Attachment: dsc00541a_6092.jpg
Size: 40.30 KB

Attachment: dsc00546a_5776.jpg
Size: 54.15 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 383 - 503
beragoobruce
March 21, 2017, 11:46am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 41 minutes
That is looking so good, Reto!  It's really coming together now.  

Hope you can get your engine vibration sorted. Maybe somebody here has the same engine & could help?

Glad you're posting again - we've missed you  

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 384 - 503
aeronut
March 21, 2017, 12:13pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Reto your work is so clean it is almost a shame to cover it. I found the covering process to be a very satisfying portion of the build so have fun with the iron.  

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 385 - 503
Reto S
March 23, 2017, 10:20am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from Arthur Withy
Hmm its like a gorgeous lady......naked is always better...LOL

My sincere apologies for having exposed her like this...  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 386 - 503
Reto S
March 23, 2017, 10:38am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from beragoobruce
That is looking so good, Reto!  It's really coming together now.  

Hope you can get your engine vibration sorted. Maybe somebody here has the same engine & could help?

Glad you're posting again - we've missed you  

Bruce

Bruce, I am in my workshop... LOL

Today I started the registration process. Here in Thailand it may take up to 6-8 month month to get all the approvals. Must get more efficient now to match completion day with approval window... Just learned today that they will require COM/XPDR/ELT!!!

And yes, if there is anyone on ETLB who has experience with Hirth 3202 and Dellorto Carbs (or similar), please get in touch with me... Thanks...

Cheers
Reto
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 387 - 503
Arthur Withy
March 23, 2017, 10:38am Report to Moderator

Ace
Yes ...I was up all last night thinking about the possibilities   ....LOL
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 388 - 503
Reto S
March 23, 2017, 10:46am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from aeronut
Reto your work is so clean it is almost a shame to cover it. I found the covering process to be a very satisfying portion of the build so have fun with the iron.  

You are right it will be a little sad to cover her, but I am actually looking forward to it...  Still month away though!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 389 - 503
17 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment