Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  V-max Build log Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

V-max Build log  This thread currently has 60,158 views. Print
35 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 » Recommend Thread
bigbrixx1
December 20, 2014, 3:00am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 16 hours
Lol thanks aeronut! The second wing builds fast! Update on varnishing gadget..... Works AWESOME!!! The first wing took me about 9 hours plus 2 1/2 on aileron. Today, total time to varnish entire wing AND Aileron.... 3 hours 50 minutes. That saves nearly 8 hours of work or 2/3 off the time! Nice! Very quickly you find a nice rhythm and never stop except to refill container! I experimented with natural hair vs vinyl bristles. Natural hair wins hands down!!! BTW  Wing 2 drying but completed!!!! Now to move her to hanger space. Going to extend bench 2 feet and onto the fuse!!! Thank you everyone for the help, advice and words of encouragement! You are all a great group of guys!

V-max. Finished. Now in phase one flight
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 240 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 20, 2014, 12:20pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Here are the pics

Attachment: image_1481.jpg
Size: 82.41 KB

Attachment: image_1755.jpg
Size: 99.84 KB

Attachment: image_2018.jpg
Size: 105.54 KB

Attachment: image_8662.jpg
Size: 101.68 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 241 - 1031
beragoobruce
December 20, 2014, 9:44pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 58 minutes
Good progress, Brix.

I love the auto feed varnish brush! I'm going to make one of those - anything that makes varnishing less hassle has got to be good. If it works as well as you say, I might even go for two coats.

Good luck with your fuselage build. I'm sure you'll enjoy it after building two wings in a row. Fuse comes together much quicker I reckon.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 242 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 21, 2014, 2:23pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I agree Bruce. Varnishing is tedious at best! Although this does not reduce the tedium. It does reduce the amount of time spent on the process! Give it a try, I think you are really are going to be impressed! I am looking forward to the next phase of the build. This upcoming week will be preparing the workbench and shop for the fuselage ! Merry Christmas everyone!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 243 - 1031
texasbuzzard
December 21, 2014, 2:39pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
Merry CHRISTmas to you too Brix. Your present is almost here.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 244 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 27, 2014, 10:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Just an update... Both wings at the hanger along with the vertical/ horizontal stabilizer. I had an EAA technical  advisor come by......BTW he made a spectacular entrance by flying in with his immaculent RV-8. He built it over an 8 year period. Quite an entrance! And WOW! what an airplane! He is quite satisfied with my work up to this point. All he recommended is a bit more rounding off around the edges of the aluminum root / strut fittings! Only lost. 0.4 pounds this week. But I an very happy with any loss over Christmas week. I should have bench extended this week and start gluing on the fuse sides by weekend!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 245 - 1031
flydog
December 27, 2014, 10:46pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 38 minutes
I went back a few pages to find your picture of the root fittings. Look OK as far as I can tell from here.
What was his concern?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 246 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 28, 2014, 3:07am Report to Moderator

Ace
His main concern Was  when I rounded the ends on the fittings I used a disc sander. That left sharp edges. He recommended I clean up the ends and round off those edges with a 3M scotch brite wheel on my grinder! He admits it is most likely unnecessary.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 247 - 1031
Tom
December 28, 2014, 3:20pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Dear bigbrixx,

Maybe it was necessary to round and smooth those edges, maybe it wasn't.  However I can say that as a general principle in making virtually any part a rounded and very smooth edge and corners, whether metal, wood, or a number of other materials, makes it much harder for stress to find a little spot where the stress rises to the point where the fitting can start to fatigue.  Therefore a metal fitting with sharp corners practically speaking is more likely to fail than an nearly identical fitting with carefully rounded and smoothed corners.  Also believe it or not the rounded, smoothed, and polished edges and corners will LOOK stronger too and will be more beautiful.  It really doesn't take much extra effort and you will be amazed how great it makes you feel to "detail" fittings this way.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 248 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 28, 2014, 5:09pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Tom I couldn't agree more!  I have ordered the wheel he recommended! I am so thankful to have a technical advisor close by, willing to give up his time. Come inspect my efforts and offer advice. I plan on following all his recommendations!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 249 - 1031
Tom
December 28, 2014, 6:13pm Report to Moderator
Ace
I think Bob Daly might have some useful and interesting things to add on this too.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 250 - 1031
Harless Greear
December 29, 2014, 2:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 35 days 14 hours 19 minutes
TTT, I could be wrong but I think the only ROOT fittings on the wing are on the SPARS not the struts..

Do you play ping pong?????????

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 251 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 29, 2014, 3:58pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks for the support guys. Thanks TTT for the compliment. I have been trying to build  her as if my life may depend upon it! I have been calling the fittings that go from the spars to the carry thru, root fittings. And the fittings that go from midwing at a 30 degree angle that will connect to the wing struts strut fittings. All are made from aluminum stock. I hope I have been using correct terms. I can see the confusion it appeared as if root/ strut was one fitting. I should have said root fittings and strut fittings! Those are the fittings he suggested I clean up a bit more

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 252 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 29, 2014, 4:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Here is a good pic. Root fittings seen clearly  here. Strut fitting midwing at 30 degree angle. I am I using correct terms? Sorry about confusion if I am not!

Attachment: image_2478.jpg
Size: 313.77 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 253 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 30, 2014, 4:20am Report to Moderator

Ace
There has been a lot about the teleflex  cables. Both good and bad. I really don't know enough about aircraft controls to redesign the system. All the re-designs seem to be the highmax and not easily converted to the mid wing version..... That being said the route route I plan on taking (and already have in my possession) is to upgrade the aileron controls to 1/4 size teleflex cables and duel elevator teleflex cables mandated in the UK version. As a matter of fact I plan on incorporating all of the UK mods including roll protection. And LG changes! Agian TTT thanks for the kind words!!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 254 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 30, 2014, 4:24am Report to Moderator

Ace
As far as oratex I love the concept. Would really love to give it a try. Price is going to be the deciding factor. I plan on sending them the dimensions and get a price quote. That being said I doubt I can justify the expense on the max. But you never know!!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 255 - 1031
Tom
December 30, 2014, 11:11am Report to Moderator
Ace
I really hate to comment on the whole Teleflex "thing", but I would point out that I've seen some alternatives made in which the person designing the new system did not calculate the shear stress on the bolts that hold it together and therefore had a much weaker system than the Teleflex.  I've also seen extensive use in aircraft in general of the compressed copper sleeve used to make an eye around a thimble in cable.  These though used a lot on aircraft do fail.  I would strongly suggest that if you want to modify the Teleflex system the safest thing is probably to double up on the elevator Teleflex as shown in the modifications for Britain.  I would also replace the short length of plastic tube which is supposed to reduce the bending stress on the MiniMax installation with a self aligning bearing at that point.  Having worked a lot with Teleflex cables I think those two modifications would be safer than trying to design your own system from scratch unless you have a good grounding in structural analysis.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 256 - 1031
bigbrixx1
December 31, 2014, 5:01am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hi TTT as far as I am concerned. Please keep the comments and attaboys coming. If I wanted just a build log I Never would have made it public. I welcome the interaction on the board. As a matter of course I routinely print out a few pages of this log. Edit and then add to a hard copy folder for the DAR when the time comes. That way (god forbid) if anything happens to this electronic log I don't loose everything. I thank you all who take the time to encourage my progress see a mistake I may have made and point me in the right direction. Thank you to those who add thought provoking ideas and answer my questions.
Happy new year folks
Not as big as I used to be Brian

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 257 - 1031
The Termite
January 1, 2015, 4:14am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Brixx,

As discussed in the strobe thread,  if you're going to put position lights and/or wing tip strobes on your plane,  it would be easier to run the wire before you cover the wings.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 258 - 1031
bigbrixx1
January 3, 2015, 4:28pm Report to Moderator

Ace
happy new year folks.  GreT idea termite. Right now I plan to use only one strobe on the horizontal stab. But would like to run tubes in the wing now. Anybody have a good souce of lightweight tubes I can put in wing. ???

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 259 - 1031
alex3
January 3, 2015, 5:20pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 22 hours 51 minutes
Depends on the size of wire but I think pex tubing from the big box store would work
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 260 - 1031
January 3, 2015, 5:28pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Maybe vinyl tubing would work? It would be around the plumbing area in a hardware store.
E-mail Reply: 261 - 1031
bigbrixx1
January 3, 2015, 8:14pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I considered plastic tubing. But it's really to heavy. Was hoping for something like a small diameter cardboard tube.

Now back to the build. Workbench extended to 14 feet. Fuse outline laid out. First problem was the scarf joint. After a few poor attempts I resorted to These basic jigs. Using extra material I glued 2 x 4 blocks to either side. Then when piece clamped into jig the pressure of clamps holds the piece in place. Then a hand plane will give you a perfect scarf joint.
Examples ......

Attachment: image_842.jpg
Size: 109.70 KB

Attachment: image_2393.jpg
Size: 85.97 KB

Attachment: image_489.jpg
Size: 106.96 KB

Attachment: image_1596.jpg
Size: 94.41 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 262 - 1031
bigbrixx1
January 3, 2015, 8:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Fuse layout completed. All parts cut out ready to glue. I plan to build one side on top of other side so both identical. I used green masking tape then drew lines on tape. That way I don't mark up bench. My straight edge is center of bench. I can then use that line to jig fuse sides later on.

Attachment: image_4595.jpg
Size: 125.71 KB

Attachment: image_6931.jpg
Size: 125.58 KB

Attachment: image_18.jpg
Size: 113.05 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 263 - 1031
Harless Greear
January 3, 2015, 11:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 35 days 14 hours 19 minutes
Tubes only add weight that you don't want and you can run wires from one of the wing to the other after the wing is covered by removing the aileron............

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 264 - 1031
flydog
January 3, 2015, 11:59pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 38 minutes
Or just run a couple wires out to the wing tip now? Anchor as needed. No tube required.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 265 - 1031
bigbrixx1
January 4, 2015, 2:18am Report to Moderator

Ace
All great ideas. I would line a tube of some type. For access and protection. In the rc world some planes use a cardboard tube protected by a varnish. I believe the term is phenolic tube. Trying to find something like that in 3/4 inch size. Very light weight. I ordered plastic tubes from us plastics but they were way to heavy. I returned them

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 266 - 1031
lake_harley
January 4, 2015, 3:46am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 5 hours 37 minutes
I don't know what kinds of tubing you considered or checked out, but polyethylene tube might be something to look at if you want a conduit in place before covering the wings. I have no idea of how many, or what guage wires you have in mind, but I'm pretty sure you could easily fish a couple 16 or 18 GA wires through 3/8" O.D. Polyethylene tube. One advantage of polyethylene vs vinyl tube is that it wouldn't be as "droopy" between supports as vinyl.

Lynn  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 267 - 1031
stevejahr
January 4, 2015, 3:12pm Report to Moderator

Airbike plans examiner
Ace
Time Online: 4 days 11 hours 43 minutes
Re: tubing -- check out flourescent tube covers.  These are pretty light and can be found in 8' lengths.  Probably larger than you need in that length though (1.5").  I think there are some smaller ones in about 4' length for smaller bulbs.

Could also make your own cardboard tube.  With your modeling background you have probably seen this? take brown packing paper and laminate it as though it was fiberglass.  Can squeegee epoxy on the paper and roll it around a mandrel.  It would be possible to use thinned water based aliphatic resin glue as well.

Is a full tube really required?  What about wire guides/holders with a wire pulling string added?  Wires pull a lot easier than push and a string can be pretty light.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 268 - 1031
The Termite
January 4, 2015, 4:18pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
IMHO,  tubing should not be needed.  Kunzleman sells 22ga. 5 conductor wire for  60 cents per foot, and 3 conductor for 40 cents per foot.  http://www.kestrobes.com/heads.htm.   The wires are in a shielded plastic sheathing, like phone wire.  If you insist on running tubing, you could use fuel line.  You wouldn't even have to use a continuous run,  just put it over the wire anywhere the wire touches wing ribs, spars, etc,  for abrasion protection.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 269 - 1031
35 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating

There have been 3 votes for this thread.

Click here for The photo of the Moment