Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  V-max Build log Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

V-max Build log  This thread currently has 60,162 views. Print
35 Pages « ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 » Recommend Thread
bigbrixx1
February 24, 2017, 1:12pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 16 hours
Very exciting time! The list is getting. Shorter every day! Thanks for all the support! I will be flying soon! Great advice Recardo. Advice I plan to follow! Here you see the fuel lines with fire sleeve. Also duel electronic ignition! And fuel flow test at 20 degree angle. Fuel system is stock mechanical engine run pump. With electronic back up fuel pump. Pumps are parallel . With check valves. Fuel flow was 21 gallons an hour! That should be sufficient! Finishing up cowl now.

Attachment: img_3419_7367.jpg
Size: 233.86 KB

Attachment: img_3418_1798.jpg
Size: 276.50 KB

Attachment: img_3417_7132.jpg
Size: 255.29 KB

Attachment: img_3416_7382.jpg
Size: 236.74 KB

V-max. Finished. Now in phase one flight
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 870 - 1031
bigbrixx1
February 24, 2017, 1:19pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Addeed my snoopy to the tail......who don't love that darn dog!!! It may be a single seater, but I won't be up there alone

Attachment: img_3420_1353.jpg
Size: 145.95 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 871 - 1031
Tom
February 24, 2017, 2:04pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Tremendously inspiring, Brian,

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 872 - 1031
streffpilot
February 24, 2017, 10:29pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 11 hours 14 minutes
BRIAN!!! I think I saw a little bit of taxi in your engine run video (about 8 inches or so) This is such an inspiration to me in building my V-max!

Yours looks so good. All the hard work will pay of in a short bit for you i'm sure!

Way to Go!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 873 - 1031
Ricardo
February 25, 2017, 4:13pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Piece of advice:
On the snoopy sign change the second "L" for a "W" and you'll have all the license necessary to fly your plane whenever you fill like it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 874 - 1031
Reto S
February 27, 2017, 4:25am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 13 days 19 hours 26 minutes
Brian, congrats to your engine run! Sounds very solid and like a real airplane! Huge difference to my 2 stroke... You are the man!
Cheers
Reto
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 875 - 1031
Seaplane Pirate
March 2, 2017, 12:55pm Report to Moderator

To master flight you must first seek to listen.
Flight Leader
Time Online: 21 hours
Great work!- it will not be long now!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 876 - 1031
bigbrixx1
March 3, 2017, 10:16pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Ricardo
Piece of advice:
On the snoopy sign change the second "L" for a "W" and you'll have all the license necessary to fly your plane whenever you fill like it.

Lol lucky for me I already have one of those! πŸ˜‰

Ok folks basically working on cosmetic stuff. And trying to eliminate some radio noise! I get static and ignition feedback when trying to transmit! I am fitting cowl and working on filling in wing LE gaps. Also going to finish up my tailwheel endorsement!!! Wow it's moving fast now. Do have some sad news. One of my hanger mates died in an accident last Tuesday. Still not sure what happened. Broke my heart when the news showed the tail of an  Aircraft sticking out of a roof.  Then I recognized his tail number. He is the guy taking photos in the beginning of my engine run up video. Went to work on my Max day after event and his car was still parked outside hanger.....Notice pictures below. Empty spot next to my plane was where Al kept his Sonix...
RIP buddy....
http://www.necn.com/news/new-e.....ation-415086803.html

Well....enough of that back to the build ......here is the modified cowl.....as I stated before I am using starter ring as front and flow cowl back from there. I cut around starter. My original plan was a bump orotund it. But I really like the industrial look of it open like you see. I plan on leaving it that way....

Attachment: img_3429_5053.gif
Size: 456.68 KB

Attachment: img_3432_3181.gif
Size: 477.30 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 877 - 1031
ulbuilder
March 4, 2017, 1:03am Report to Moderator
N349LE
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 20 hours 59 minutes
Sorry to hear about your friend Al.

I agree the starter cutout looks good.
That small MiniMax spinner looks out of place with that giant flywheel behind it.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 878 - 1031
aeronut
March 4, 2017, 1:38am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Very sorry about the loss of your friend Brian.I will say a prayer. You are getting so close to your goals; and I am happy for your success.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 879 - 1031
cdlwingnut
March 4, 2017, 2:24am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
I love this thread, you set 2 goals that aren't easy and are well on the way to completion on both and you also found time to keep us posted on your progress from start to finish. I wish you well and that you have many happy healthy years of flying in your airplane. this threat is part of the inspiration to start on my Ultra-piet. I only hope to have the same success as you.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 880 - 1031
bigbrixx1
March 5, 2017, 2:34pm Report to Moderator

Ace
The spinner does look a bit funny. But once everything is painted. I think it will flow relatively well.... time will tell. Cdlwingnut... get started on that build!!! Please send me a link to build when you do! Just keep plugging away! I am so close now!!! It's like a roll of toilet paper... closer you get to the end...faster it goes!!! Thanks to all for all the support along the way!
B-πŸ˜ƒ

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 881 - 1031
Ricardo
March 5, 2017, 3:25pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Brian:
Sorry to hear the sad news about your hangar friend.  I hope they find the accident cause that could save other pilot's life. My condolences to the family.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 882 - 1031
beragoobruce
March 7, 2017, 3:08am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 58 minutes
So sorry to hear about the loss of your hangar mate, Brian.  Sad, sad news, but like they say, shit happens. I'm glad it hasn't stopped your will to fly.

Re your radio noise, I have this problem too.  I can hear fine, but people say my transmissions are very crackly. I think it is probably RF noise transmitted from the alternator or CD ignition. I have my antenna in the tail, so can't get it further away from the engine. Someone suggested ferrules on the power supply lead to the radio, to soak up the spikes - I may try this. If it is the ignition, I'm guessing it's going to be lots of work to isolate the interference.

At the moment, Im able to fly ok from my (radio mandatory) local airfield. I keep my transmissions short, & just shut the throttle down when I transmit! It works ok, & I don't lose too much height or speed for the short time I need to transmit.

I'll be interested to hear if you fix your problem, although we have different engines.

Can't wait to hear your first flight report. It must be getting towards Spring in your hemisphere, too, so an ideal time for first flight.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 883 - 1031
Seaplane Pirate
March 21, 2017, 2:00pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Brian,

I am interested in your Transponder install, where did you place the antenna and how was the ground plane achieved?   I looked into making the copper tape antennas as they do in the composite aircraft on my bird, but found that I could incorporate a ground plane into the top of my Hi-max cabin.   I am considering adding a small Transponder since I am in a bit of a high traffic area, and would like to know your thoughts on how that is working.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 884 - 1031
Kaliche Kid
March 21, 2017, 10:47pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 39 minutes
Quoted from Seaplane Pirate
Brian,

I am interested in your Transponder install, where did you place the antenna and how was the ground plane achieved?   I looked into making the copper tape antennas as they do in the composite aircraft on my bird, but found that I could incorporate a ground plane into the top of my Hi-max cabin.   I am considering adding a small Transponder since I am in a bit of a high traffic area, and would like to know your thoughts on how that is working.

My thoughts as well. Very interested.

Abraham
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 885 - 1031
bigbrixx1
March 23, 2017, 11:50pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Kaliche Kid

My thoughts as well. Very interested.

I can take some photos of install. But remember I haven't flown it yet... so I am not sure about performance! Basically I mounted the antenna below fuselage, behind seat. The ground plane is on the floor behind seat! I'll post some pics in a couple days.

Just got home from 2 week vacation in Iceland then London! We walked everywhere our average was over 10 miles a day. Using public transportation as a last resort! It wasn't that long ago when a walk across a parking lot left me winded!!!
                  Also decided to "buy into" a 1/3 share of this Piper Cherokee! Since basic med has passed I am laddering up from Sport pilot to PPL !!! Between the Cherokee and the Minimax I am sure looking forward to a great flying Season!!!! Two different planes with two entirely different missions!!!

Attachment: img_3443_1233.gif
Size: 210.50 KB

Attachment: img_3442_7619.gif
Size: 299.50 KB

Attachment: img_3439_9672.gif
Size: 226.80 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 886 - 1031
bigbrixx1
March 23, 2017, 11:55pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from beragoobruce
So sorry to hear about the loss of your hangar mate, Brian.  Sad, sad news, but like they say, shit happens. I'm glad it hasn't stopped your will to fly.

Re your radio noise, I have this problem too.  I can hear fine, but people say my transmissions are very crackly. I think it is probably RF noise transmitted from the alternator or CD ignition. I have my antenna in the tail, so can't get it further away from the engine. Someone suggested ferrules on the power supply lead to the radio, to soak up the spikes - I may try this. If it is the ignition, I'm guessing it's going to be lots of work to isolate the interference.

At the moment, Im able to fly ok from my (radio mandatory) local airfield. I keep my transmissions short, & just shut the throttle down when I transmit! It works ok, & I don't lose too much height or speed for the short time I need to transmit.

I'll be interested to hear if you fix your problem, although we have different engines.

Can't wait to hear your first flight report. It must be getting towards Spring in your hemisphere, too, so an ideal time for first flight.

Bruce

Your right Bruce "sh*^t does happen, but as a Paramedic I am fully aware of the risks in life!!! He will be missed but life goes on!

I am trying to chase down some potential ground loops. Also purchased some resistor style caps for spark plugs and some braided metal wire sleeve covers for spark plug wires! Now that I am back from vacation I will begin in earnest to chase down the interference!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 887 - 1031
Reto S
March 24, 2017, 2:04am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 13 days 19 hours 26 minutes
Brian, I am sorry to hear about what happened to your hangar mate. The empty space in your hangar should soon be occupied with an other flying machine...

You are getting close, fantastic!

Just learned that I will need COM/XPDR/ELT over here too...

Cheers
Reto

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 888 - 1031
Colin
March 25, 2017, 8:04am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 15 hours 44 minutes
Hi Brian, congratulations on your progress.

I have just started work on finishing a part built Brugger Colibri, which is VW powered. I was wondering about your starter ring, what diameter is it?  

I am planning to fit a modified Limbach engine but it has a rear starter and magneto. I want to convert to a front starter arrangement like yours.

Regards,

Colin
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 889 - 1031
bigbrixx1
March 26, 2017, 6:08pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I found a picture of my ground plane for the transponder antenna. It is behind the seat. I epoxied it to the floor. Antenna pointing dow. Still working on radio noise.
Colin that looks like a fun plane. I will take measurement for you tomorrow. I know this unit in its entirety is available From Hummel Engines.
Retro  good luck with the install. If I wasn't chasing down engine noise in Radio I would be done by now!m

Attachment: img_3445_239.gif
Size: 275.33 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 890 - 1031
Seaplane Pirate
March 29, 2017, 2:10am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Three ferrite beads on the coax for the vhf may help on the radio noise.... I have a technical paper on it I can email you if needed.  I may have some extra beads too
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 891 - 1031
bigbrixx1
April 1, 2017, 1:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Seaplane Pirate
Three ferrite beads on the coax for the vhf may help on the radio noise.... I have a technical paper on it I can email you if needed.  I may have some extra beads too

Please send me the paper at brianxx2@yahoo.com also if you have extra beads please let me know. I'll try them! I sheethed the spark plug cables in metal braid and put on resistor caps. According to the tower they are receiving me 4/5. Before I was transmitting an unreadable "squeal"! So progress!!!!! Also started taxi tests. Really glad I put in differential breaking!
Thank you!
Brian!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 892 - 1031
Sterling Silver
April 2, 2017, 2:56am Report to Moderator

Life is short, don't hunt trouble.
Ace
Time Online: 17 days 10 hours 6 minutes
Quoted from bigbrixx1
Fuel flow was 21 gallons an hour! That should be sufficient!  

You have a rather short range Max there, haven't you?  

I had a Colemill 310 with 300 hp. engines and it burned only about 24 gph total, and the cruise speed was 230mph.  

Just had to poke you a little; everything about your thread and build has been so good that there just hasn't been much opportunity to harass you, and it looks like there's not much time left.

Hope you get rid of the radio noise. Magneto ignitions used to require shielded wires and a capacitor. That's all so old that it's probably not relevant to your installation.

Have a great time in both airplanes, but not at the same time.

Bert
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 893 - 1031
bigbrixx1
April 18, 2017, 1:48am Report to Moderator

Ace
Still working on radio noise! Making great progress. Bert that 310 sounds like a blast to fly! Although a bit priceyπŸ˜‰. I have started taxi test. Slow tests. But it's great! The sound is awesome! Ricardo I stole your idea about putting casters under wheels and it allows me to move max in and out of hanger sideways! Much easier!  Paperwork on its way to FAA. Trying to schedule a airworthiness inspection soon! Down to a few cosmetic touches, cleaning up radio noise and some safety checks! The never ending list is getting smaller.  Note the leather flying cap and goggles! Christmas present! Red Baron eat your heart out!!! Here is a link to my taxi video posted on the team Facebook page

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1173577879430949&id=207841032671310

Final fitting and painting of cowl getting close!
Brian πŸŽ‰πŸ˜ƒ

Attachment: img_3452_4672.gif
Size: 133.23 KB

Attachment: img_3451_866.gif
Size: 132.67 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 894 - 1031
aeronut
April 18, 2017, 2:27am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
GREAT Brian. You will be flying soon. Good luck.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 895 - 1031
beragoobruce
April 18, 2017, 3:31am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 58 minutes
Well done Brian!  Now for the full runway tail up taxi trials (the fun bit!).  Your plane sounds great, especially with the WW1 'blipping'.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 896 - 1031
Ricardo
April 18, 2017, 1:43pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Awesome! How did the weight and balance go?
How many pounds of pull force did you get from your engine? The engine sound is soooo nice!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 897 - 1031
PUFF
April 19, 2017, 11:31am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
can't wait for that first flight report/video!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 898 - 1031
Sterling Silver
April 21, 2017, 3:22am Report to Moderator

Life is short, don't hunt trouble.
Ace
Time Online: 17 days 10 hours 6 minutes
Wow! Great looking airplane!
Where'd you buy that thing?   (That's your cue. Now you can tell them. )

I bet you will here that a lot.

Thanks for the vid.

Bert
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 899 - 1031
35 Pages « ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating

There have been 3 votes for this thread.

Click here for The photo of the Moment