Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Who's who and where? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Who's who and where?  This thread currently has 13,998 views. Print
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Recommend Thread
Jtm1075
May 6, 2016, 3:51pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 6 hours 17 minutes
New member here. Live in the desert of Southern CA between San Diego and Yuma AZ, Imperial Valley. Just started a Hi Max build. I am new to aviation and this is my first aircraft project so get ready for some what may seem like elementary questions for most of you!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 90 - 176
Ricardo
May 7, 2016, 3:00pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Welcome to the board Tom. I did that route many years ago from S. Diego to Yuma. Great memories!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 91 - 176
texasbuzzard
May 7, 2016, 4:54pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
Bring it on Tom, I'm not a builder but will give you moral support.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 92 - 176
Jtm1075
May 9, 2016, 9:17pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 6 hours 17 minutes
Thanks for the welcome. Hope I don't bother everyone too with all my dumb questions!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 93 - 176
aeronut
May 9, 2016, 10:49pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
There are NO dumb questions; welcome to a great website.  

Attachment: dad2_renamed_14974_4897.jpg
Size: 89.14 KB

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 94 - 176
bsmith
July 10, 2016, 11:31am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 21 hours 19 minutes
Just joined a few days ago. Have two projects working on , one 1030 max and a 1100 to be N numbered. Anyone around Parkersburg WV. ? Bill Smith , Hales Landing ,Elizabeth WV.  (2WV3).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 95 - 176
Dick Rake
July 10, 2016, 1:14pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Welcome to the group Bill. Don't hesitate to ask question.
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 96 - 176
rtfm
July 14, 2016, 3:23am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 21 hours 35 minutes
Duncan
Brisbane
Australia

Getting cash together to purchase welded Airbike airframe.  Plan to use Valley Engineering Big Bad Twin because I already own the engine.  116lbs/50hp/2gall/hr.

I plan to build a three-piece composite wing, with a fixed central section, and folding outer sections.  Flaps and ailerons.

Duncan

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 97 - 176
philipbowes
August 6, 2016, 9:48pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Flying this in Ireland at the moment as soon as I retire and get the space to build it, I'm eyeing up a 1600R

Attachment: eiaem_4242.jpg
Size: 89.07 KB

E-mail Reply: 98 - 176
kfb
August 7, 2016, 2:35am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
I just acquired a project the guy started in 1985, he was going to make it a HiMax, had it done through partial boat stage, I am going to do a mid wing, he was going to do a 447 and I want to do my Global engine, so I have to change the front end mount section.  I am in Hampton Falls, New Hampshire
Kim Brown
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 99 - 176
rtfm
September 12, 2016, 3:33am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 21 hours 35 minutes
Duncan Meyer
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Building a box-standard AeroMax

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 100 - 176
ironnerd
November 3, 2016, 1:14am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hello All,

I'm John from Smyrna, GA. I'm an A&P mechanic, Private Pilot, and I used to fix big planes, but love little planes. I normally fly an friend's AA-1A out of lovely Cartersville Airport. We have an arrangement - I help him fix it, he let's me fly it. But I still want my own plane, and I have wanted to build one for a long time.

I have a Hirth 2702 and would like to attach it to a Hi-Max. I think a High Wing would be best for ground reference navigation, and for the occasional slow flight over beaches in the summer  

I already have a project plane (CGS Hawk), but I'm not looking forward to the FAA adventure I'll go through to get it all registered and legal. I really like the Hi-Max, and the fact that TEAM is in Niles, MI is pretty cool (I grew up in MI). I figure I'll do the unexpected and start with ribs. I'll build a small table, watch Star Trek, and crank out the ribs for my wings.

Anything ya'll might care to tell me would be great --- other than "get lost", I guess...

Thanks!
E-mail Reply: 101 - 176
Dick Rake
November 3, 2016, 1:52am Report to Moderator

Ace
Welcome John.
Feel free to asked questions. I think everyone in this group is willing to help or at least give it a try so clear the bench an get started.
From your avatar picture I take it that you worked on the OV-1's.
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 102 - 176
Arthur Withy
November 3, 2016, 9:45am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Welcome John...Live long and prosper ...

looking forward to some "klingon" banter.....

cheers  Arthur    Adelaide ,South Australia.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 103 - 176
ironnerd
November 3, 2016, 10:39am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Dick Rake
Welcome John.
From your avatar picture I take it that you worked on the OV-1's.
Dick

Yes I did. 224 MI in Savannah, GA, and 3rd MI in Anjong-ri, Korea.

You?
E-mail Reply: 104 - 176
texasbuzzard
November 3, 2016, 10:46am Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Hi John and welcome to the world of low and slow aircraft. Plenty of guys here to help.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 105 - 176
ironnerd
November 3, 2016, 10:46am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Arthur Withy
Welcome John...Live long and prosper ...

looking forward to some "klingon" banter.....

cheers  Arthur    Adelaide ,South Australia.

Thank-you, Arthur. My Klingon is not nearly fluent, I'm still waiting for Duolingo to release the Klingon module.

"wa'logh puv SoH tera' yIt SoH je mIn tlhe' chal, pa' SoH 'ej pa' tIq SoH chegh" - Unknown Klingon aviator.

-John
E-mail Reply: 106 - 176
Arthur Withy
November 3, 2016, 11:17am Report to Moderator

Ace
OHHHH that means....

You fly first, you walk the Earth and heaven and Earth are turned, you there, you are the heart and return
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 107 - 176
Arthur Withy
November 3, 2016, 11:17am Report to Moderator

Ace
OHHHH that means....

You fly first, you walk the Earth and heaven and Earth are turned, you there, you are the heart and return
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 108 - 176
ironnerd
November 3, 2016, 1:00pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Yeah... The BING translator is not so great - and I am no where near fluent (I lost my old Klingon language tapes about a decade ago).

"Once you have tasted flight, you shall forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you shall long to return." - Leonardo DaVinci

Also, it's not a complete language yet. I heard about a Klingon language baseball game. As it turns out no one had come up with the Klingon word for "OUT" (as in out of play), so the umpire would shout "He is DEAD!". Which I find oddly appropriate for Klingon baseball.

but maybe we are devolving into a different thread...

Leonardo said something else that seems to apply to the Min-Max and Hi-Max:
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
E-mail Reply: 109 - 176
Kaliche Kid
November 3, 2016, 6:11pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 39 minutes
Abraham Cardenas III
Del Rio, Texas
Mini-Max 1600R, built by the late Harold Acheson (see reply #26 on page 1 of this thread)

This ship and its Rotax 447 are taking me to school. I have a passion for the Golden Age of Aviation and the Golden Age of Piracy. The Max is airworthy, but needs TLC to make me more confident.

Attachment: at_home_1150.jpg
Size: 98.45 KB

Abraham
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 110 - 176
Dick Rake
November 3, 2016, 10:11pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from 437

Yes I did. 224 MI in Savannah, GA, and 3rd MI in Anjong-ri, Korea.

You?

John,
I was with the 55th Avn Company at K-16 in 1975 and 76. We had OV-1's, UH-1's, Oh-58's and U21's. I flew the U-21 and Huey. I had a good friend killed in a Mohawk during his transition training at Rucker.
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 111 - 176
ironnerd
November 5, 2016, 11:47pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
For those who don't know, the Grumman OV-1 Mohawk was an Army observation plane. It was used for Photo recon (day and night), IR imaging (at night... at 300 feet AGL), Ground scanning Radar (SLAR) for finding vehicles on the ground or upon the water. A variant, the RV-1 was used to pinpoint radar transmitters, like those used for AAA or SAM sites. The plane had two 1,400 HP Lycoming turbine engines, each driving a 10' dia Hamilton Standard propeller. Total wingspan on the "long wing" "B" and "D" models was 48 feet (20 of that was covered by the props), and weighed in at 9 tons. It had a two man crew in a bubble cockpit with EXCELLENT visibility.

It was an really great plane - when everything went well, but every airplane is a series of compromises. On compromise was a wing loading of 50 lb/sq foot. Another was all that of torque form those engines. I worked on these planes for four years, and we had a few accidents and incidents, but no loss of life (thankfully).
We had a plane lose an engine on take-off at max gross weight. The checklist says to eject all wing-mounted stores, but that would have dropped 600 gallons of JP-4 on the Savannah, GA Toys-R-Us. The pilot managed to bring the plane back to the runway and land without further incident. The engine locked so hard that it actually twisted the propeller shaft. He said the plane tried to roll over on him, and I believe him. It was the only time I ever saw that pilot smoke.

Another plane lost an engine on landing. The turbine blades exited the engine, went through the cowl, over the top of the plane, and set the grass next to the runway on fire.

A plane on a ferry flight across the Atlantic lost the elevator trim tab, unfortunately the bonding jumper held on for a few seconds, sending the plane into an inverted flat spin. After the tab finally departed, the pilot was able to right the plane, after falling about 5,000 feet.

Aircraft 68-15938 (mine) suffered a hydraulic line failure and lost all of it's hydraulic fluid. On final approach to Osan Airbase, the pilot pulled the Emergency Stores Release instead of the identical Emergency Gear Extension, thus dropping approximately 200 gallons of JP-4 into a rice paddy. He managed to get the gear down and land safely. I was sent to fix the plane (took me a half hour, then another hour to clean up all the fluid). The plane was dubbed the "Osan Valdez".

One of our planes got shot up over Guatemala. Lost one engine due to a freakishly lucky shot. The pilot turned around and made a photo run so he would know who jacked up his plane before returning to base. The plane was ferried back to Savannah where it was repaired and returned to service after a couple of weeks.

We lost two planes in Desert Storm. Both on the same day, both due to the oil field fires. Smoke had obscured the runway. One plane had a hard landing when the pilot tried to land blind, the crew was injured and the plane destroyed. After that, the crew of the other plane (too low on fuel to divert) ejected.

The Mohawk was a very tough, rugged plane. It was a lot of fun to fly, and all of our pilots liked it. It was also, however, a very unforgiving plane, and it was certainly no Cessna. Add that to the missions it flew, and you can see the risk. Still, some of my best flying memories are from the right seat (no controls, sadly) of a Mohawk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWRBBhwH32A

But then, we're getting into the whole "Off Topic" category here.
E-mail Reply: 112 - 176
jody miller
December 28, 2016, 4:05pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 32 minutes
Jody miller
villa rica, Georgia
owner/builder of "project sawdust"
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 113 - 176
robnovey
December 31, 2016, 6:14pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 hours 11 minutes
Rob Novey    Blairsville / Cleveland GA

I'm currently flying a Fisher Classic Biplane that I enjoyed building so much that I'm starting a MM Eros (just finished rib #1, LOL). Would love to connect with some MM builders/flyers in my area.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 114 - 176
bigblockz8
January 5, 2017, 1:18am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 4 days 13 hours 42 minutes
Greg Thomas, Frederick, MD. I own a fastback Hi-Max tricycle gear. Currently in the process of inspecting and soon to be building the wings.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 115 - 176
Arthur Withy
January 5, 2017, 9:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thankyou John for the cool video on the Mohawk...living in Australia Ive never seen one before and I love almost all aircraft...LOL..and the Mohawk is on the good side of the line...LOL

cheers Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 116 - 176
avee8ter
January 13, 2017, 11:41am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 12 hours 31 minutes
Scott Robison - 1600R - East Central Illinois.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 117 - 176
texasbuzzard
January 13, 2017, 12:05pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Welcome Scott to the low and slow forum.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 118 - 176
Max SSDR
January 19, 2017, 6:31pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
Hi, I'm from Cornwall, UK. Sold my Taylorcraft BC12-D after 24 years and many many adventures last year. I've also just today sold my Jodel Bebe D9 Project to fund a Minimax to fly under the UK SSDR rules (Part of pensioner flying economics!). I have two in my sights right now so I should soon be flying again  

I hope to get up to speed with your guys!

Nigel

Attachment: bigk_reduced_4320.jpg
Size: 82.73 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 119 - 176
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment