Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Who's who and where? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 6 Guests

Who's who and where?  This thread currently has 14,003 views. Print
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 Recommend Thread
jglassfnp
December 12, 2018, 8:57pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Some progress.

Attachment: vmax_glass_3423.jpg
Size: 264.04 KB

Attachment: vmax_yokglass_2890.jpg
Size: 25.83 KB

Attachment: vwaeroglassvmax_5110.jpg
Size: 117.93 KB

E-mail Reply: 150 - 176
aeronut
December 12, 2018, 11:01pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Welcome to the site. I am looking forward to your build. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask . There are lots of people that are very knowledgeable. Hope you enjoy your journey through the build and flying.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 151 - 176
textailwinds
December 29, 2018, 10:42pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 3 hours 17 minutes
From Decatur, TX.    I'm building a HiMax.    The fuselage , minus the gear and cabin structure is built, and the empennage is built.  Wing ribs are almost finished. Control stick is made. I have a Kawasaki 440C engine. But I really don't have any idea what engine I will use. I do plan to use a fuselage tank of my own fabrication since I want about 7 gallons of gas.

Attachment: dadairplane_619.jpg
Size: 171.42 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 152 - 176
Captn_Frog
January 3, 2019, 1:21am Report to Moderator

A Full VW Hi-Max builder.
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 hours 55 minutes
Rocky Frees
North Muskegon, MI
A full VW, Hi-Max builder. Considered a 1550Vmax with Hi-Max option.
Plans built.
If anyone else has worked on this configuration, please contact me.
Kind regards
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 153 - 176
Greg Carr
February 6, 2019, 7:15pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 hours 10 minutes
Greg Carr
Mt. Shasta, CA

Am building a Himax with the Vmax wings and heavy tail. Have the empennage finished, all but one rib finished and am going to start assembling the wings in the spring after my busy season in the office is over.
I have a 4A084-4 that I am planning to use for power.  I have been watching the forum for awhile and this is by far the best forum I've ever joined. It will take me a little bit of fiddling to figure out how to post pictures correctly, but will work on it.
Thanks in advance for the help this group is so good about.
Greg
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 154 - 176
bfhowell
June 25, 2019, 6:02pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 21 minutes
Burgess Howell, Harvest, Alabama, just north of Huntsville, about 15 miles south of Tennessee.

I've mostly lurked here for years. Plan to build a HiMax from kit. Hope to start next year. I'm a big guy. She'll be heavy.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 155 - 176
PoconoJohn
September 18, 2019, 5:27pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 9 minutes
John Cronin in Northeast PA near Allentown (ABE). I'm teaching 12 kids how to build an airplane. I selected the Minimax 1650 EROS. We started late Marc 2019. We recently finished the vertical stabilizer and rudder.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 156 - 176
scottjohnson
November 22, 2019, 7:48pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 27 minutes
Scott Johnson - house in Ocala, Florida and house in Tampa, Florida  813-600-0857 scottjohnsontampa@hotmail.com   I have built a vans RV6A and RV8A. I want something now for fun that goes slow and low, so will be ordering a minimax (probably HiMax model) shortly. Anybody who is currently building a minimax or has one completed within about 200 miles of Tampa, I would be happy to fly out to and let you fly my RV6A in trade for showing me your project or completed plane. thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 157 - 176
GhostFlyer
January 4, 2020, 2:33am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 36 minutes
Jeff Higgins from Fairfield Ohio. I'm a licensed gunsmith and machinist for a living who's taking flying lessons to get my sport license. Also building a minimax 1030.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 158 - 176
aeronut
January 4, 2020, 3:19am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Welcome to the site. Have you chosen a engine yet?

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 159 - 176
GhostFlyer
January 4, 2020, 3:38am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 36 minutes
Quoted from aeronut
Welcome to the site. Have you chosen a engine yet?

I actually have a 275cc twin cylinder Suzuki engine from a snowmobile that I plan to use. I can't remember the number but it's pretty lightweight and I can squeeze about 30hp from it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 160 - 176
rwdonner
February 18, 2020, 4:14am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 50 minutes
Ronald (Ron) Donner. Northfield MN. Just bought an Airbike project. Getting my shop organized and ready to go at it. I'd like to met some other AB builders and flyers in the area.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 161 - 176
tbear2500
March 10, 2020, 4:43am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 48 minutes
I started a Tandem AirBike project a while ago but I'm only starting to do serious work on it now (I can still lift all the parts I've made comfortably with one hand). I'm building in Madison, WI, USA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 162 - 176
Buzz73
April 15, 2020, 3:02am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 hours 22 minutes
Fort Wayne, IN  USA
Mostly a plans collector these days.  

~~~   In some cultures my behaviour would be considered normal.   ~~~
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 163 - 176
Greenghost
May 1, 2020, 5:49pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 6 hours
Hello Buzzards;
I earned my private pilot licence almost 25 years ago when my kids were small. Owned and operated a C-150 for a time. Always wanted to build an airplane and attended the EAA Arlington numerous times and even flew in twice. But career, kids, and time all held me back. Now that I'm retired, I should have the time, at least in theory....

I have always liked the Mini Max line and while I have not committed to building one yet, it is on the short list.  I don't have any tailwheel time so that is a potential barrier, but I'm sure not insurmountable.

I especially like the Hi-Max but would prefer the VW engine option and would love to hear from any builders or owners that have taken that route. Or for that matter any Mini Max owners or builders on the west coast, especially the Vancouver Island area.

Thanks in advance!
David
Quadra Island, BC Canada
On the beautiful west coast of Canada
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 164 - 176
ntzman28
June 16, 2020, 5:03pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 hours 43 minutes
Hello ETLB,

Appreciate very much being admitted to the group.  After following MiniMax planes for almost 30 years, and dreaming of building one, at long last I'm in a position to get started.  I have the space and a job that allows me some at-home time.  I recently purchased an 1100 kit from the family of a gentleman who had started it but who lost interest at some point and unfortunately passed away about a year ago.  He had built all the wing ribs, empennage, and fuselage sides, and looks like was beginning to work on building out the aileron separation from the ribs (at least on a couple of them).  

The kit appears to be mostly complete and still in the factory shipping crates other than what's already been built.  I will have to do a full inventory to see what's missing, and plan to buy anything not there directly from the company by way of support, especially since I didn't buy the kit from them.

I've off-and-on read the boards for years, and so have a bit of an understanding of just how much experience is here.  I apologize for any forthcoming dumb questions, as I know I'll have them.  I have built RC from plans and kits, and was blessed to have a father who had a love of working in wood.  I also have around 35 hours, combined between a 152 and Remos G3, but never completed my ticket.  I live in Santa Fe, TX, about halfway between Houston and Galveston.  If there are any other max builders or owners in the SE Texas area would love to meet you.

Noble Zimmerman
ntzman28@yahoo.com
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 165 - 176
gangeli
August 9, 2021, 2:14pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 9 hours 10 minutes
Hello everyone and thank you all the info and inspiration you are sharing on this terrific site.
I live in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia and I've just started building my 1600R MiniMax.
Korale (HiMax Build – Melbourne) has been particularly kind and helpful to get me started.
I've ordered a kit from David Cooper, with the exclusion of the wood that I am substituting with Hoop Pine sourced locally.  I've started cutting the bits for the tail, as I wait for the kit to arrive.
My only comparative advantage is that as a surveyor and a draftsman I'm good with 3D CAD, so I'm building everything on the computer before I do it on the workshop.  I find this very helpful for understanding the plans in all the details and hopefully to avoid mistakes. It also allows me to print all my templates accurately from the CAD model.  The CAD model is not completed yet, but I'll try to post a screenshot.  Once it is done I'll be happy to share it, as my little contribution, provided it is O.K. With David Cooper.

Giacomo

Attachment: isometric_view_5721.jpg
Size: 240.27 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 166 - 176
antoinette
July 20, 2022, 11:47pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 hours 4 minutes
Greetings,

I am Antoinette, my friends and I fly three Hirth F-33 powered ultralights, a Woodhopper, Cloudster, and Zing; and a Rotax 277 powered FP-505 from our irregular oval-- a sand bar that is roughly 200 m (650 ft) along the mostly north side, 60 m along the mostly west side, and 150 m along the mostly south side. These sides abut water. The fourth side-- 120 m (400 ft)-- abuts rising terrain with foliage. There is a 447 powered FP-202 that I have never flown based here as well.

I do not live in the USA, but our regulations are close to FAR 14 Part 103. To obtain an "exempt" stamp the owner of a craft must demonstrate it weighs less than 120 kG (264 lb) and is incapable of attaining more than 120 kMpH (74.5 sMpH) which is done flying two ways on a measured course. Fuel capacity and stall speed do not matter.

So, since flying is the most fun you can have with your pants on, maybe even the most fun of all human existence, I have decided to build myself an airplane... I mean if you knew my good friends you would understand that most people of ordinary abilities are capable of building an airplane... I just bought 1030F plans from David, so I am leaning that way. On the other hand, quality wood is not inexpensive, and oxy A welding is a useful skill... maybe I'll learn it over the winter and build an AirBike instead. Who knows?

Antoinette

Having many hours in F-33 powered Cloudster. Zing, and Woodhopper, and some time in a 277 powered FP-505, I have decided to build an airplane.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 167 - 176
kalazzerx
August 9, 2022, 4:36pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 5 hours 39 minutes
Hi all,

Chris Anderson, Middle TN - 60 miles south of Nashville.  Completed my Legal Eagle XL Project this summer and am in the process of learning to fly it.  

Legal Eagle is configured with 1/2 VW engine - standard build.  

I actually have it back in the garage right now doing an update giving it a folding tail configuration right now.  I store/haul my LE in a 16ft trailer and found with the standard tail configuration assembly process was taking too long and was a tedious process.

Attachment: 20211023_124853_4759.jpg
Size: 159.23 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 168 - 176
Greg Doe
August 9, 2022, 5:56pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 12 minutes
Kalazzrx. Let me guess. Are you in Tullahoma? I'm in Smyrna.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 169 - 176
kalazzerx
August 9, 2022, 10:50pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 5 hours 39 minutes
Quoted from Greg Doe
Kalazzrx. Let me guess. Are you in Tullahoma? I'm in Smyrna.

Manchester actually but fly out of Tullahoma

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 170 - 176
PUFF
August 11, 2022, 11:03am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Murfreesboro here.....
@ Greg Doe. Skip Little's bird just hit Facebook Marketplace. I heard he died.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 171 - 176
Greg Doe
August 11, 2022, 5:25pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Puff, I hadn't heard about Skip. I'm going to try to make the Murfreesboro EAA meeting this evening (8-11-22). I might learn more then?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 172 - 176
Greg Doe
August 12, 2022, 2:34am Report to Moderator
Ace
Harold "Skip" Little is alive and well, at 88 years young. A couple of years ago George Williams of Lebanon, TN bought Skip's Mini Max,
but George never flew it. I will check with George to find out if he has put it up for sale.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 173 - 176
PUFF
August 12, 2022, 11:21am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
glad to know about Skip!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 174 - 176
Bob Hoskins
August 12, 2022, 10:40pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi All
Glad to hear Skip is ok. Great guy to know. His plane is advertised in Facebook market place.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 175 - 176
Greg Doe
August 13, 2022, 4:19am Report to Moderator
Ace
Because I don't do Facebook I got my wife to help. After some searching we found it. Thanks for the heads-up.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 176 - 176
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment