Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Who's who and where? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Who's who and where?  This thread currently has 14,000 views. Print
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Recommend Thread
aeronut
January 19, 2017, 9:52pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Welcome to the site Nigel. I hope your search is short and fruitful. Cornwall is kinda on the south end of the U.K. as I recall. Hope your back in the air soon.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 120 - 176
flycanadianguy
January 28, 2017, 3:54pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 hours 9 minutes
Hello everyone! New member here from Alberta. I just purchased a Minimax 1600r on floats and wheels (custom muktuk floats) with the MZ 201 engine. I am not the builder but it needs minimal restoration work before being up in the air. Hope to be flying it this summer. Brief background info on me.
First ultralight I own. I have zero time in UL and zero time in tail draggers and zero time on floats. Will look at UL training experience before flying of course and will get my float endorsement before trying the floats. I am a low time PPL holder and own a Piper Warrior. Alot of my flying is mountainous. Ive always been interested in UL or aviation things in general, so I kinda impulse bought the Minimax! Im here to learn as much as possible before working/flying the Minimax so dont mind my endless questions. We have a very strong EAA group here that I will lean on as well. Married, two kids, and work in the construction industry. So hello Lonesome Buzzard gang! 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 121 - 176
aeronut
January 28, 2017, 10:19pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Welcome to the site, there are lots of knowledgeable people around here so fire away with the questions. I hope you post a picture of your Minimax.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 122 - 176
beragoobruce
January 29, 2017, 9:43pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 41 minutes
Welcome flycanadianguy.

I bet flying a Max on floats will be lots of fun. I hope you will post some videos when you get up flying. I have the MZ202 engine, which performs very well. Handy for you having Leon building them in Canada: I've found him very helpful.

Good luck with your restoration work, there's lots of help here if you come across any problems.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 123 - 176
flycanadianguy
January 30, 2017, 12:31am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 hours 9 minutes
Being new to the UL way of things, he was one of the first guys I called about his engine. His help and knowledge over the phone is worth its weight in gold. He will literally walk you through a tear down step by step over the phone or skype etc. Try getting that kind of service from Rotax or any other competitor. Plus the power to weight ratio is IMO unmatched. Cant wait to fly! 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 124 - 176
Jeff.T
February 28, 2017, 12:50am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 22 minutes
Jeff Tensfeldt in Westford, MA
Built Airbike kit #39 as Experimental in 1999-2000 with Rotax 447 originally; just finished engine change to Hirth F23 50hp.
Next plane will be the Switchblade.  

Attachment: tensfeldt3_1088.jpg
Size: 417.24 KB

Attachment: flying_over_city_white_5538.jpg
Size: 203.68 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 125 - 176
aeronut
February 28, 2017, 1:15am Report to Moderator

Ace
WOW a sunburst. Very nice! Welcome to the site.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 126 - 176
upperglass
March 16, 2017, 10:44pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 12 hours 57 minutes
Any mini-max builders or flyers around Houston or within 150 miles with a 3000 ft airport? Thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 127 - 176
baconaneggs
March 23, 2017, 3:12pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 19 hours 19 minutes
Hello everybody, I just got home with my new to me 1030. By the plans it is serial #72 Built by a fellow named Poppeliers. It has a hirth F33 with electric start. I live in McClellanville SC near Charleston. Although it is low time, I need to thoroughly inspect it before I fly and also take some refresher lessons. I also need to lose 25lbs! Does anyone know the difficulties of getting a ultralight an N#? Or do I want/need to do that?
Kieran
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 128 - 176
FearTheH
April 8, 2017, 2:26pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 8 hours 25 minutes
Hey everyone.  My name is Chris Saunders and I'm from Blue Ridge, VA(Just outside of Roanoke).  I came here to learn and research the best project for me after I was drawn to the Minimax 103 but I believe my direction has changed with intentions of acquiring a sport certificate at the least.  I'm wanting to do this so I have instructed flight time, as to not jeopardize my life or lives of others.  Lucky for me the Roanoke Valley is completely surrounded by mountains which I've been told makes learning to fly more difficult due to the constant varying winds, which will hopefully make me a more proficient and safer pilot.  
I've already learned a great deal from some of you and am looking forward to being a part of this community and eventually being able to help other newcomers!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 129 - 176
Steve 1650R
May 25, 2017, 2:41am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 hours 35 minutes

Steve 1650R Mooresville, Indiana.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 130 - 176
joe.scalet
August 9, 2017, 12:59am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
Joe Scalet - Gardner KS (K34). I have the original AirBike prototype. Just about to fly it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 131 - 176
swpearce
August 12, 2017, 12:21pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Tallahassee, Fl  (70J)
Tandem Airbike 90% complete, HKS 700 4 stroke using OO Wilsons engine mount design, power fin prop
Poster since 2007, abandon the project for a couple of years, now retired and ready to complete and fly.
It's good to know this forum is still alive and well.
E-mail Reply: 132 - 176
LostDog
August 18, 2017, 5:18am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 hours 7 minutes
Hi All,

New to aviation (very new, just starting), but an admirer for a long time. The stage of life I'm in finds me in a place where I need an epic project to do with my two boys who are entering their teens. I have decided that a tandem Airbike will be a good project, hopefully it will fly before the boys leave home!

We're in Perth, Australia and hope you folks don't mind me leaning on you all for your knowledge.

Regards

Dave
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 133 - 176
abettinson
November 20, 2017, 7:20am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hi Everyone!
My name is Andrew. I live near Olympia, WA. I am formerly a US Navy aircraft maintainer (F-14 and F/A-18 ) and currently a US Army Blackhawk Pilot (UH-60). I am looking to build a Tandem Airbike beginni g this summer. I look forward to reading about everyone's experiences and advice.

-Andrew
E-mail Reply: 134 - 176
Doug Green
March 28, 2018, 10:24pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 10 hours 35 minutes
Hi from Spring Hill, TN
My name is Doug Green and I live inSpring Hill, TN. I have been flying RC since I was about 10. Back in the early 90’s I started building a MiniMax. About the time I completed the ribs a friend called me to tell me about a very nice HiMax that was for sale. My brother and I went in together and purchased the Himax. Flew it for a few years and wound up selling it to persu other interest. Then marriage and kids and life. I have always stayed active in rc and just recently started getting the bug to build that MiniMax I started 25 years ago. So, here I am looking and dreaming again and trying to decide which MiniMax to build.
Doug
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 135 - 176
Dick Rake
March 29, 2018, 12:45am Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Welcome Doug,
You and I must have started building Mini-max's about the same time. I've always been an avid r/c guy and when I made up my mind to build my Mini-max I told the gang at the r/c field that I would need to stay away from the flying field until I got my max finished. I knew that if I went to the r/c field and saw whatever the latest and greatest model was that I'd be tempted to start a model project and lose ground on my Mini-max. I lost 2 1/2 years of modeling but got my airplane done. I still get a lot of satisfaction designing, building and flying models. Something you might consider in your decision as to which model to build is the fact that if you have a forced landing in a rough field you might end up upside down and could be trapped. There was a guy in Arizona several years ago that dead stick a Longezee and spent something like 12 hours trapped upside down before he was rescued. That scares the hell out of me but hasn't kept me from flying. You being a long time model guy should have no problems building a nice airplane so make up your mind and get on!
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 136 - 176
Doug Green
March 29, 2018, 8:38pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 10 hours 35 minutes
A friend of mine wound up upside down in his MiniMax. It was not a forced landing, just a bad landing. I can’t remember exactly what caused him to flip over but he was on the grass runway. It doesn’t have to be rough terrain to get upside down. He was able to get out and was ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 137 - 176
SwackDog1
April 7, 2018, 3:24pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 7 hours 53 minutes
I am Jim Swacker.  Just bought 25 acres near Somerville, TN.  Two grass strips and a 50 X 50 shop/hangar.  I purchased a V-Max in December 2017.  I am currently working on making it airworthy and getting flying lessons.

Attachment: img_2112_2884.jpg
Size: 41.86 KB

Jim S
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 138 - 176
cameron
May 15, 2018, 3:06pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 7 hours 1 minutes
Hey Jim, I am in Memphis 50% of the time. Are you a member of the EAA chapter there?
There is another guy in our chapter building a Himax.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 139 - 176
mogwai
July 17, 2018, 7:08pm Report to Moderator

Eating an elephant, one bite at a time
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 13 hours 49 minutes
Mostly a lurker here for a couple years but recently ramping up my work on the empennage of a 1650R Eros.  I'm a new builder overall with not much experience.  Work and life has, like many others, drove my project to the back seat though I only made small progress a couple years ago.  The things I don't know are someone intimidating but I did recently complete the vertical stabilizer and nearly completed with the rudder.  It ain't a pretty as some around these parts but it's a series of small steps...eating an elephant is one bite at a time, as they say.  Before I put my head back down for the next CFA exam, i hope to make some good headway.  If all goes well that gives me until November of this year then I'll need to take a break for the first 6 months of 2019 to study.  

Live NE of San Antonio, work as a Portfolio Manager at a firm near Boerne.

You can track my (often) slow progress at http://www.mykitlog.com/tmnolte/
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 140 - 176
ITman496
October 22, 2018, 12:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Daniel Werbin
Hackettstown, NJ

Just bought a mostly completed but never flown 1030R(i think) and look forward to finishing it and getting into the sky!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 141 - 176
skyblazer
November 12, 2018, 8:53pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 29 days 11 hours 48 minutes
Dwight Briley "Skyblazer"

Portland ,TN. Plane based at 1M5 Portland. 1300 Z Max with Hirth F23. I haven't flown it it at least 5 years. Replacing fuel line and fuel pump getting her ready to fly and/or possibly sell.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 142 - 176
Greg Doe
November 12, 2018, 10:01pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 1 minutes
Doug Green, Are you still out there. I tried answering your PM but I never heard back from you.
I'm still in Smyrna. My Max is temporarily "down", but hope to have it back one more time this
year before it has to go into hibernation!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 143 - 176
Mickvds
November 21, 2018, 7:32pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 2 days 47 minutes
Hello everyone. This is Mick from sunny Perth Western Australia. I just recently purchased a half share in a Himax 1400R Birdog replica which is about 90% built. The main job left to do is finish one wing and aileron.

I'm new to the aeroplane building thing but keen to finish this project and take it up flying. I've made a start with the wing and attached the nose ribs and stringer. Next will be the leading edge ply, the thought of which I'm finding a bit daunting but will just have to give it a go.

Would be interested to hear if there are many/any other builder/flyers over this side of Australia.

Cheers, Mick

Attachment: dsc00136a_7018.jpg
Size: 189.54 KB

Attachment: dsc00133a_5886.jpg
Size: 187.53 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 144 - 176
aeronut
November 21, 2018, 8:39pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks for posting Mick. I hope the Bird dog fly's as good as it looks. Welcome to the site.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 145 - 176
Ricardo
December 3, 2018, 3:28am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Beautiful bird Mick!
Always wanted to visit Western Australia.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 146 - 176
tdweide
December 5, 2018, 8:20am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 12 hours 44 minutes
Travis Weide
29 years on the ground. Can't wait to leave.
Cloverdale CA (2hrs North of San Francisco)
MiniMax 1100 full kit. Hope to complete by 2020
Heating and Air Tech
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 147 - 176
Dick Rake
December 5, 2018, 9:44pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Quoted from tdweide
Travis Weide
29 years on the ground. Can't wait to leave.
Cloverdale CA (2hrs North of San Francisco)
MiniMax 1100 full kit. Hope to complete by 2020
Heating and Air Tech

Welcome Travis. I hope your build goes well and don't hesitate to asked questions. Based on your occupation I would advise you not to add air conditioning or heating to your Minimax.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 148 - 176
jglassfnp
December 12, 2018, 8:43pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
James Glass (East TN)  , I am building a VMax with add on plans of Isons 1650 Eros closed canopy and rear turtle, VW power. Purchased kit and plans that had been started and the owner lost motivation before any kind of progress so I basically started fresh. Will add pics
E-mail Reply: 149 - 176
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment