Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  project "sawdust" still going! Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

project "sawdust" still going!   This thread currently has 17,571 views. Print
7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Recommend Thread
RedBird
January 7, 2011, 4:05am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Looks great!

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 90 - 189
Deskpilot
February 3, 2011, 1:07am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I can but repeat what others have said, very, very nice work Jody. You can justly be proud of yourself.

I do like those window fasteners you've use. Very neat and tidy with no sharp edges. When working in aluminum, those rows of ugly rivet always put me off.

Alley, you get around don't you. Every site I go to, you pop up. Keep spreading the word luv, 'specially about the best country in the world,despite what natures throwing at us at this time.

Stay safe everyone.
E-mail Reply: 91 - 189
Doug T.
February 5, 2011, 7:06pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Awsome work Jody. I like the removable doors. Good idea. Reminds me of my doors on my jeep wrangler. Same design.

Doug
E-mail Reply: 92 - 189
jody miller
February 28, 2011, 12:56am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 32 minutes
Quoted from 833
I can but repeat what others have said, very, very nice work Jody. You can justly be proud of yourself.

I do like those window fasteners you've use. Very neat and tidy with no sharp edges. When working in aluminum, those rows of ugly rivet always put me off.

Alley, you get around don't you. Every site I go to, you pop up. Keep spreading the word luv, 'specially about the best country in the world,despite what natures throwing at us at this time.

Stay safe everyone.

Thank you.I was trying to find a way to hold the lexan in place without building another frame or without nuts sticking out on the inside.I was looking through the mcmaster car website when i found what i was looking for.the bag of 100 was only around $7.They are steal but are super light weight.I have enuff to change the skylight to these also.  

here is a link to the weld nuts..http://www.mcmaster.com/#weld-nuts/=b7zkge  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 93 - 189
jody miller
February 28, 2011, 1:02am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from 1194
Awsome work Jody. I like the removable doors. Good idea. Reminds me of my doors on my jeep wrangler. Same design.

Doug

Thanks,You are dead on about the jeep!Thats where that idea came from.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 94 - 189
Doug T.
February 28, 2011, 6:08pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hi Jody. Have you decided what you are going to use for paint, colors, poly-fiber? Also, what engine are you going with?  I'm pretty anxious to see it finished!

Doug
E-mail Reply: 95 - 189
jody miller
March 1, 2011, 12:09am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from 1194
Hi Jody. Have you decided what you are going to use for paint, colors, poly-fiber? Also, what engine are you going with?  I'm pretty anxious to see it finished!

Doug

Doug

when it comes to paint and colors,I have no clue!I do know that i would like to paint it in a simple/classic type of scheme.For the covering i will be using the stewart system.I got the chance to do some work with the system while my friends were building 6 piets at once and really liked it.
As for the engine I have a dcdi 503 and a C box with a clutch in it now.
My plan is to finish the build this year and cover and paint it next year.As things stand now i hope to start assembling the wings in a month or two.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 96 - 189
jody miller
July 12, 2011, 11:46pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Did not realize it had been this long since i had worked on my bird .I got to get my but in gear!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 97 - 189
lostmap
July 21, 2011, 11:30pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
make sure you add that pride to your weight and balance. 5oz. per grin...gosh it looks great!
E-mail Reply: 98 - 189
jody miller
July 31, 2011, 4:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from 1229
make sure you add that pride to your weight and balance. 5oz. per grin...gosh it looks great!

Thanks!It's turned out to be a long project but It should be worth it in the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 99 - 189
jody miller
July 31, 2011, 4:21pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Haven't done much in a while,but i did get the floor board cut out,started to work on the rudder pedals,and mounted the horizontal stab.Not much done but it feels like it's starting to come together.

I got to looking at the elevator at it looks like it has about a 1/2 crown from end to end so i will ether remake it or cut out the leading edge and replace it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 100 - 189
jody miller
August 1, 2011, 4:03am Report to Moderator

Ace
Got the rudder peddles took care of today.

started with...

Drilled out the pin and the pin holes to accept a AN4 bolt...

Then cut out a little so that the tension collar would not bind...

drilled/tapered the holes in the peddles...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 101 - 189
jody miller
August 1, 2011, 4:08am Report to Moderator

Ace

Applied the grip tape....

started fitting everything together..

The washer on the lower section is there to hold the spring end in its new location...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 102 - 189
jody miller
August 1, 2011, 4:10am Report to Moderator

Ace
Almost done/checking for any binding...

In the plane...

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 103 - 189
iter
August 1, 2011, 6:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 309 days 1 hours 7 minutes
Good job! Thank you for the photos.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 104 - 189
Ricardo
August 1, 2011, 12:21pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
High quality work!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 105 - 189
Bob Daly
August 1, 2011, 1:59pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
I hope you have an heir Jody, because somebody will inherit this airplane.  Absolutely amazing and bullet-proof details
Private Message Reply: 106 - 189
jody miller
August 1, 2011, 11:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks guys for the good words!

Stay tuned for next weeks episode where i install the hot tub and the stripper pole.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 107 - 189
jody miller
August 31, 2011, 5:34am Report to Moderator

Ace
Today turned out to be a pretty good day.After Harold posted the pics of his built in trim tab I decided to do a little table saw hacking and got the built.Still need to add the plywood to it and the rest of the elevator.I also glued up rib #21 and 22.Only 2 more to build!!!! Other than the battery being dead in my camera everything seemed to just fall right into place.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 108 - 189
September 1, 2011, 2:21am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Im ready to hack into my elevator too. I love the ideas on this board!
E-mail Reply: 109 - 189
superswamper
November 17, 2011, 1:17am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 18 days 4 hours 1 minutes
Jody,
Don't feel like your the only one! I'm in consruction as well and the last few years have been hell. I Own a plumbing business and have for the last 26 years, five years ago i had 23 employees! i now employ three and have a hard time keeping them busy. I too thought about selling my project at one time! im sure glad that i didn't. When I have a bad day working on the plane helps me cope. Yours is one of the best builds that I have seen on here in the four years that I have been a member it would be a shame to get rid of it. This board is just not about building planes, If you ever need to talk we are all here. I think that goes for alot of us!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 110 - 189
jody miller
November 18, 2011, 9:37am Report to Moderator

Ace
superswamper,

Thank you for the kind words.My little bird has truly been one of the high points in my life so far.I dont think she's the best out there but i dont think she's the worst ether.At least i hope not!It's been a labor of love and somewhat of a creative outlet for me.

I had posted this as a reply to tony in the himax landing gear thread but i will add it here also.

"I sure hope i dont have to sell it ether.Beleave me that i will and am doing everything I can to keep that from happening.I thought last year was ruff but boy was i wrong!This year has been the worst ever as far as money goes.I finally said to hell with self employment and may have a shot at a job with a company that a friend works for.Hopefully i will find something soon.In the last 3 years I have watched our bank account slowly disappear and sold off the last bit of stocks we had this year.It's just not looking good for the home team right now.On a side note...I have been broke before and sprung back so there is always hope,Plus you guys aint going to get rid of me that easy!"

jody miller
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 111 - 189
lostmap
November 18, 2011, 4:59pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I've been in plumbing for about seven years,here in calif it all ground too a stop all at once.I am a family of there and as of last month our income droped again,this time all the way down to 7000 a year. With out harming my loved ones Monetarily  i still find it possible too buy small bits here and there. Maybe skin a fin or something small keep your hand in it and your subconscious will have a list of other ways ta get ur done. for me i traded my copenhagen for wing ribs,(a little harder to spit) lmao.
long ramble short
keep on smile'in
E-mail Reply: 112 - 189
jody miller
January 3, 2012, 6:13am Report to Moderator

Ace
Well i finally got around to making a few photos of the built in trim tab.After taking the photos i got the itch and glued the plywood on to the end's of the elevator.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 113 - 189
jody miller
January 3, 2012, 6:15am Report to Moderator

Ace
The ends.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 114 - 189
jody miller
February 25, 2012, 1:42am Report to Moderator

Ace
The door bell rang today and it was Santa dressed as a ups man....Had the big brown truck and everything!Must be a ruff economy at the north pole too!

This is what he brought me...

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 115 - 189
theecoop
February 25, 2012, 12:57pm Report to Moderator

Flying
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 5 hours 17 minutes
Great work !!!

Perfect Practice makes perfect!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 116 - 189
aeronut
February 25, 2012, 1:16pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Way to go Jody; you will have plenty of storage space for that liquid gold we call gas.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 117 - 189
James Z.
February 25, 2012, 2:39pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 18 hours 7 minutes
Santa delivered my wing tanks yesterday too.  He really does get around!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 118 - 189
jody miller
February 27, 2012, 2:24am Report to Moderator

Ace
Got around to finishing up the sanding on the elevator.If i get time i may try and hinge this bad boy this week!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 119 - 189
7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment