Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  project "sawdust" still going! Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

project "sawdust" still going!   This thread currently has 17,565 views. Print
7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Recommend Thread
jody miller
September 17, 2010, 1:09am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 32 minutes
Quoted from Avenger
Judging from you work boots in the last picture I take it you never drop sharp tools....lol  Or heavy ones either

lol,when i took these pictures i had just got off the phone with a member of this board and just ran down stairs to snap the shots to send to him.
After posting them on here i seen what i had done and told my wife that i was getting ready for a bunch of "this little piggy" and "where can i get plans for them floats" jokes !    
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 60 - 189
jody miller
September 17, 2010, 1:12am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from RedBird
Jody,
I bought plans for EROS 1650 with himax supplement a couple years ago, but have yet to begin on the project. Your work is inspiring me. Thx!

No,thank you!
And if there is anything that i may be able to help with just let me know!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 61 - 189
RedBird
September 17, 2010, 3:48am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Actually ripped some planks today. I've been waiting over two years for the "right time" to begin. Even have had a couple false starts. Its obvious the right time isn't gonna just happen, so now seems as good as any... Therefore, I may be taking you up on your offer sooner rather than later Jody. I'm leaning heavy toward the Eros high wing and am sure to have a ton of questions...

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 62 - 189
jody miller
December 25, 2010, 12:02am Report to Moderator

Ace
It's been been a little while since i did a update on my progress so here is what i have been working on.  

The spars

A window frame

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 63 - 189
jody miller
December 25, 2010, 12:05am Report to Moderator

Ace
And the window frame installed.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 64 - 189
jody miller
December 25, 2010, 12:08am Report to Moderator

Ace
more.

now i need to do the other side.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 65 - 189
Outlaw
December 25, 2010, 12:19am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 7 days 21 hours 34 minutes
Show off   Looks awesome Jody, need to get back working on my project.  Really like the opening window!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 66 - 189
RedBird
December 25, 2010, 12:21am Report to Moderator

Ace
Jody,
Love your photo documentation of your great work. As I mentioned before, very inspiring... And great timing too. I have decided to convert the 1100R project I picked up last year to a HiMax, or close (I'm calling it practice for my full EROS Himax build ...). Was looking through the plans last night trying to visualize a couple things, and then saw your photos today. They were just the ticket I needed. Thank You!
Tony

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 67 - 189
jody miller
December 25, 2010, 4:07am Report to Moderator

Ace
Outlaw

LoL,thank you,It took me a little while to fig out just how i was going to do my windows.Once i decided what i wonted to do things just fell into place.Hows your bird coming along?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 68 - 189
jody miller
December 25, 2010, 4:18am Report to Moderator

Ace
Tony

Thank you for the kind words.If there is anything that i may be able to help you with don't be afraid to ask!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 69 - 189
Ricardo
December 25, 2010, 5:34am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Excelent work Jody, its going to be a winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 70 - 189
Harless Greear
December 25, 2010, 2:16pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 35 days 14 hours 19 minutes
Jody, I did my window the same as you did but when I put the wing on, it was just a little bit in the way of the window opening all the way, I had to modify the window. I also built the top of the door opening down 1/4" so there would be plenty clearance, and glad I did..

Harless in Va.

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 71 - 189
jody miller
December 25, 2010, 2:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
harless

i glued in a 1/8 ply strip under the wing to drop the window down some.I also left enough room to add another if needed.if another is needed all i will need to do is take  1/8 off the top of the window with my router.How did you like the window,and were you able to fly with it open?     
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 72 - 189
Harless Greear
December 25, 2010, 11:04pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 35 days 14 hours 19 minutes
I have flown with it open while taking pictures.. It will stay open by itself as long as you fly with the ball in the center but if

you fly uncoordinated it will flop around a bit.. You can make something to hold it open easy, I used a piece of velcro..

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 73 - 189
RedBird
December 26, 2010, 3:20am Report to Moderator

Ace
Harless and Jody: I'm pretty sure I will follow your lead regarding the window mod. One thing that irritates me flying my 150 is the dirty window effect whenever I take photos. Maybe even more importantly, when I sat in the Himax project I had before, all I could think of was how hot it would be on the ground in summer (would have had to taxi with door open in that one).

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 74 - 189
jody miller
December 30, 2010, 3:35am Report to Moderator

Ace
Picked up a few things for the plane today and got a little more done on the window.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 75 - 189
jody miller
December 30, 2010, 3:38am Report to Moderator

Ace

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 76 - 189
RedBird
December 30, 2010, 6:13am Report to Moderator

Ace
dang you do good work!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 77 - 189
jody miller
December 31, 2010, 5:44am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thank you.Just remember measure 26 times and cut 3 times!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 78 - 189
jody miller
December 31, 2010, 5:52am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Ricardo
Excelent work Jody, its going to be a winner.

Ricardo

Thank you,One day i hope to be as far along as you are!If you get a chance update us on your progress!Im looking forward to reading about your first flight!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 79 - 189
studentbiggles
December 31, 2010, 6:48am Report to Moderator
Guest User
   Excellent craftmanship Jody......your eye for detail truly impresses   Buliding one of these little beauties sure makes shorting suit coat sleeves seem very boring !!!! More piccy's please for inspiration and ideas..........Guys its 40 degrees+ C here in Renmark South Australia (Bloody Hot)......no A/C up in the "Big Blue Shed" today.
Hoping you all in the USofA have a Safe and Happy New Years for 2011.

Cheers Alley...........Not   here!!!!!!!!!!!!
E-mail Reply: 80 - 189
Dick Rake
December 31, 2010, 4:12pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
[quote=483]And the window frame installed.

Jody,
What kind of plywood did you use for your fuselage? I used birch on mine so I know what that looks like, but I can't tell if yours is mohogany or okum. Looks good whatever it is. Your workmenship is outstanding!
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 81 - 189
jody miller
January 3, 2011, 2:23am Report to Moderator

Ace
studentbiggles

Thank you,It has been a very fun project.I kind of dread the day that's its done,I'm more of a builder at heart!I have a few more pics that i will post in a few days.I have changed to a split door and window and the door will be a lift off hinge design.pics coming soon!   
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 82 - 189
jody miller
January 3, 2011, 2:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Dick

Thank you,and the plywood that i used is aircraft birch and and aircraft mahogany.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 83 - 189
RedBird
January 4, 2011, 4:32am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from jody miller

Hey Jody,
Do you have any close up photos of your wing strut attach bracket set up inside the cockpit? I see how you have integrated the strut attach point with your gear attach set up. Just looking for a visual of inside bracket and carry through...
Thanks.
Tony

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 84 - 189
PUFF
January 4, 2011, 1:23pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Whoa! Are these going to be a "no-bounce" gear?
I'd love to see the drawings and pictures of that!
maybe keep me from "hard-landing" my Hi-Max....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 85 - 189
jody miller
January 7, 2011, 3:27am Report to Moderator

Ace
Tony

I hope this helps.I had built the back one out of 4130 and decided to change to 6061 to save on weight.I still need to install my corner blocks and cover with plywood but i did a mock up so you could see what i have in my mind.There is also a bolt hole in the outside bracket on the under side of the plane that will tie it all together.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 86 - 189
jody miller
January 7, 2011, 3:44am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from PUFF
Whoa! Are these going to be a "no-bounce" gear?
I'd love to see the drawings and pictures of that!
maybe keep me from "hard-landing" my Hi-Max....

Puff

Thats the plan.I built the gear out of my head.I dont have any drawings,but i do have the templates that i made for the brackets around here somewhere.I still got a little more welding to do but hope that they work as planed!
When i built the gear i made it a few inches wider and taller.I had to make up for the flex of the gear and the height of the tail wheel i plan on using.Me being 6'2" the extra height under the wing should keep me from kissing my knees while trying to get in the plane.lol
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 87 - 189
RedBird
January 7, 2011, 3:52am Report to Moderator

Ace
[quote=483]Tony

I hope this helps.

Jody - exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 88 - 189
jody miller
January 7, 2011, 4:02am Report to Moderator

Ace
Well i got the door and window ruffed in.

The window opens just like the other side .I liked the thought of not having to store the windows when i wonted to fly with out them so the plan is to latch them open like on a cub.

I made a lift off door.The way i made it the door must be open some in order for it to lift off.It should also make it a little easier getting in or out if needed as most himax doors that i have seen hit the lift strut and make for a little bit of a squeeze to get in and out of.The plan is to store the door where the header tank was going to be.That way if the day starts out cool i can remove it and store it in the plane later with no big ordeal.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 89 - 189
7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment