Print Topic - Archive

ETLB Squawk Forums  /  miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  /  Cured Composites....
Posted by: firepilot1, February 23, 2010, 3:41pm
Just wanted to put an At-A-Boy comment on the forum for George at Cured Composites.  I ordered (in two seperate orders) the carbon fiber wingtips, carbon fiber tailspring, wing cuffs, and the Supercowl for my R447 powered Minimax.  The larger parts were shipped in a wooden crate (something you don't see much of anymore) and were received in excellent condition with no shipping damage at all.  All the parts were of the highest quality and I would recommend George @ Cured Composites for your Minimax upgrades.

Tim A.
Posted by: luis, February 23, 2010, 3:57pm; Reply: 1
That airplane looks great in the air, nice paint scheme. What size tires/rims are you using with his wheel pants? Got any room left, for a six inch wheel/rim upgrade?
Posted by: firepilot1, February 24, 2010, 1:09am; Reply: 2
Luis,

I thought I had 6" tires...but didn't really pay attention to them.  The wheelpants came with the airplane and had not been installed.  I painted and installed them.  I don't think there is room for anything larger.

Tim A.
Posted by: MiniMaxMan, February 24, 2010, 4:25pm; Reply: 3
That looks sharp!!! I guess I'll be getting in touch with him when I decide to put the extras on mine! P.S. keep those wingtips off the ground lol ;)
Posted by: firepilot1, February 28, 2010, 2:43am; Reply: 4
Actual test of the wingtips....

Cruise indicated 60-65 at 5500 rpm before.  After installation 65-70 mph and a few hits above 70 mph at 5500 rpm.  

Stall at 30 mph before...25-27 mph after.

Better control authority felt overall.  Better crosswind handling also.

Looks....A+!

VGs are next to be added.

Tim A.
Posted by: thunder669, February 28, 2010, 3:31am; Reply: 5
are those numbers of just the wingtips or is that before and after all the upgrades including wheel pants. I too am planning on those same upgrades but doing them all right off the bat while building my eros. anything special you had to do with carbon fiber to paint? just scuff and paint or did you use primer? thanks for all the info and just from emailing with him i definately think george is a great guy and a real asset to the sport
Posted by: Avenger, February 28, 2010, 5:22am; Reply: 6
I must atest to Georges wingtips  they sped me up... and were strong enough to let me hit a hangar with them and not break.
Posted by: firepilot1, February 28, 2010, 7:59pm; Reply: 7
The performance specified is after adding the wingtips only.  The wheelpants and wing cuffs were already on the plane.  

The wingtips, even though carbon fiber, came in a white color on the outside...black carbon fiber weave showing on the inside.  I have not painted the tips yet and probably won't because the white is very close to my base paint color on the max.  The instructions do say to scuff with Scotchbrite type pad and clean well before painting.

Tim A.

Posted by: firepilot1, February 28, 2010, 8:00pm; Reply: 8
A new set of wingtips will be ordered for my Airbike also.

Tim A.
Posted by: thunder669, March 1, 2010, 4:02am; Reply: 9
thanks for the great info, i cannot wait till i am at that stage where i am looking at finishing parts like that. BTW how much was the crating/shipping? i am planning on getting the whole set with wingtips, wheel pants and the cuffs from george
Posted by: 776 (Guest), March 2, 2010, 2:27pm; Reply: 10
Tim,

How did it go with the Supercowl?  I put one on mine last year.  Jury is still out as I am still sorting out the engine on mine.  I had an air leak that didn't help but got the engine resealed this last fall.  This spring should give me some accurate numbers.
Posted by: BlueMax, March 2, 2010, 3:15pm; Reply: 11
What prop are you running to get those numbers.

Chris
Posted by: firepilot1, March 2, 2010, 9:17pm; Reply: 12
MCT,

Supercowl works great...if anything maybe a little too good.  Both CHTs are right where they need to be and within just a few degrees of each other.  I like the fact of no fan belt to worry about and the lesser weight (7.5 lbs weighed to confirm the difference) and maybe a little added HP but cannot prove this.  Will see this summer how good it cools.

CPD,

Running a 60 or 62" Powerfin 2-blade with spinner.  I haven't measured it but had someone else measure it for me while I was away from home.  They told me it was a 61" but that is hard to believe.  I will check and update you later this week.

Tim A.
Posted by: 1028 (Guest), March 2, 2010, 11:19pm; Reply: 13
Are the droop tips the same ones that JDT sells?
Posted by: firepilot1, March 2, 2010, 11:32pm; Reply: 14
Not sure about the JDT wingtips.  But I think they do not offer the carbon fiber tips??

Tim A.

Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 8:00am