Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Cured Composites.... Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Cured Composites....  This thread currently has 2,398 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
firepilot1
February 23, 2010, 3:41pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 10 days 11 hours 57 minutes
Just wanted to put an At-A-Boy comment on the forum for George at Cured Composites.  I ordered (in two seperate orders) the carbon fiber wingtips, carbon fiber tailspring, wing cuffs, and the Supercowl for my R447 powered Minimax.  The larger parts were shipped in a wooden crate (something you don't see much of anymore) and were received in excellent condition with no shipping damage at all.  All the parts were of the highest quality and I would recommend George @ Cured Composites for your Minimax upgrades.

Tim A.

Attachment: img_1648_4008.jpg
Size: 30.62 KB

Attachment: img_1634_1257.jpg
Size: 53.04 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Windows Live Messenger Skype
luis
February 23, 2010, 3:57pm Report to Moderator
you don't know, until you try.
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 9 hours 24 minutes
That airplane looks great in the air, nice paint scheme. What size tires/rims are you using with his wheel pants? Got any room left, for a six inch wheel/rim upgrade?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 14
firepilot1
February 24, 2010, 1:09am Report to Moderator

Ace
Luis,

I thought I had 6" tires...but didn't really pay attention to them.  The wheelpants came with the airplane and had not been installed.  I painted and installed them.  I don't think there is room for anything larger.

Tim A.
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 2 - 14
MiniMaxMan
February 24, 2010, 4:25pm Report to Moderator

Minimax and Sonerai Pilot
Ace
Time Online: 12 days 3 hours 57 minutes
That looks sharp!!! I guess I'll be getting in touch with him when I decide to put the extras on mine! P.S. keep those wingtips off the ground lol

-------------------------------------------------
"If in doubt, Chicken out."   
-------------------------------------------------          
                <"":     .:?
                  [    \''''#/
                   **/**\*  
                     ^  ^
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 14
firepilot1
February 28, 2010, 2:43am Report to Moderator

Ace
Actual test of the wingtips....

Cruise indicated 60-65 at 5500 rpm before.  After installation 65-70 mph and a few hits above 70 mph at 5500 rpm.  

Stall at 30 mph before...25-27 mph after.

Better control authority felt overall.  Better crosswind handling also.

Looks....A+!

VGs are next to be added.

Tim A.
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 4 - 14
thunder669
February 28, 2010, 3:31am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 22 hours 9 minutes
are those numbers of just the wingtips or is that before and after all the upgrades including wheel pants. I too am planning on those same upgrades but doing them all right off the bat while building my eros. anything special you had to do with carbon fiber to paint? just scuff and paint or did you use primer? thanks for all the info and just from emailing with him i definately think george is a great guy and a real asset to the sport

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 5 - 14
Avenger
February 28, 2010, 5:22am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 47 days 8 hours 2 minutes
I must atest to Georges wingtips  they sped me up... and were strong enough to let me hit a hangar with them and not break.

The light at the end of the tunnel has been sold to China, if you need the light at the end of the tunnel please send 100 Yen.
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 6 - 14
firepilot1
February 28, 2010, 7:59pm Report to Moderator

Ace
The performance specified is after adding the wingtips only.  The wheelpants and wing cuffs were already on the plane.  

The wingtips, even though carbon fiber, came in a white color on the outside...black carbon fiber weave showing on the inside.  I have not painted the tips yet and probably won't because the white is very close to my base paint color on the max.  The instructions do say to scuff with Scotchbrite type pad and clean well before painting.

Tim A.

Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 7 - 14
firepilot1
February 28, 2010, 8:00pm Report to Moderator

Ace
A new set of wingtips will be ordered for my Airbike also.

Tim A.
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 8 - 14
thunder669
March 1, 2010, 4:02am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 22 hours 9 minutes
thanks for the great info, i cannot wait till i am at that stage where i am looking at finishing parts like that. BTW how much was the crating/shipping? i am planning on getting the whole set with wingtips, wheel pants and the cuffs from george

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 9 - 14
MCT
March 2, 2010, 2:27pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Tim,

How did it go with the Supercowl?  I put one on mine last year.  Jury is still out as I am still sorting out the engine on mine.  I had an air leak that didn't help but got the engine resealed this last fall.  This spring should give me some accurate numbers.
E-mail Reply: 10 - 14
BlueMax
March 2, 2010, 3:15pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 29 minutes
What prop are you running to get those numbers.

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 14
firepilot1
March 2, 2010, 9:17pm Report to Moderator

Ace
MCT,

Supercowl works great...if anything maybe a little too good.  Both CHTs are right where they need to be and within just a few degrees of each other.  I like the fact of no fan belt to worry about and the lesser weight (7.5 lbs weighed to confirm the difference) and maybe a little added HP but cannot prove this.  Will see this summer how good it cools.

CPD,

Running a 60 or 62" Powerfin 2-blade with spinner.  I haven't measured it but had someone else measure it for me while I was away from home.  They told me it was a 61" but that is hard to believe.  I will check and update you later this week.

Tim A.
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 12 - 14
dingus
March 2, 2010, 11:19pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Are the droop tips the same ones that JDT sells?
E-mail Reply: 13 - 14
firepilot1
March 2, 2010, 11:32pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Not sure about the JDT wingtips.  But I think they do not offer the carbon fiber tips??

Tim A.

Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 14 - 14
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment