Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Biggest Engine in a Minimax? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Biggest Engine in a Minimax?  This thread currently has 1,102 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Stroid
May 6, 2019, 9:57pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 hours 55 minutes
I think maybe this guy takes the cake? Continental O-170 (65hp, 170 pound engine)!!!!

https://asheville.craigslist.org/avo/d/hendersonville-team-mini-max-airplane/6880844399.html

Great price for that bird too. Cant believe the weight of that engine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ITman496
May 7, 2019, 4:55am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Gives me faith that mine can handle my Kawasaki 440a  

Man, wish I had scored that plane though.  What a great price!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 54
PUFF
May 7, 2019, 11:44am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
i would think it'd be too heavy, but maybe not, depending on build.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 54
tomshep
May 8, 2019, 6:00pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
I dread to think where the c of g ends up.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 54
gyrojeffro
May 9, 2019, 2:00am Report to Moderator
Guest User
The thought should be the biggest power to weight ratio, these are airplanes and not muscle cars  
E-mail Reply: 4 - 54
ITman496
May 9, 2019, 4:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Imagine a JFS100 turboshaft.  50lbs weight, 90 horsepower at 3100rpm shaft output!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 54
PUFF
May 9, 2019, 11:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Greedy little thing isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 54
texasbuzzard
May 9, 2019, 2:34pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
man that would be sweet on a u/l max. wonder how long 5 gal would last.

monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 54
joe.scalet
May 9, 2019, 4:34pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
Five gallons will last about 10 to 15 minutes. There are two of them for sale at B&B Aircraft Supplies in Osawatomie, KS.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 54
joe.scalet
May 9, 2019, 4:45pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
This one definitely meets the speed and weight requirements:

https://www.modelairplanenews.com/winners-top-gun-gold/mini-mac/

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 54
ITman496
May 9, 2019, 11:06pm Report to Moderator

Ace
1.2lbs/hp/hr according to some googling.....  So not long, I imagine, given turbine engine's dislike of running at partial load...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 54
gyrojeffro
May 10, 2019, 1:59am Report to Moderator
Guest User
paramotor engines that is if you can get your plane to balance out with the smaller ones. Two stroke still dominates in the power to weight / fuel burn market. The hirth f33 weighs 45 lbs complete with  electric start and even with that you may have a tail heavy airplane. the hirth f33 burns 1.5 gph on your average ppg trike. In the ppg community there is a foot launch motor called an atom 80 that burns less than 1 gph, I don't know the exact numbers but I guess a motor like that on a super light weight max and a non fatty pilot could fly half way across america before running out of gas.
E-mail Reply: 11 - 54
ITman496
May 10, 2019, 2:56am Report to Moderator

Ace
Makes me think fondly of aircraft like the long-EZ, pure efficiency and long range on a small engine.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 54
tomshep
May 10, 2019, 3:06pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Google Luciole.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 54
ITman496
May 10, 2019, 8:25pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Wow, I would not mind one of those...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 54
joe.scalet
May 12, 2019, 2:31pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
I wonder how many Vari-EZ and Long-EZ are still flying? At 1979 Oshkosh there were dozens, not so much now. It is fast but has its compromises.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 54
mullacharjak
May 12, 2019, 3:00pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from ITman496
Wow, I would not mind one of those...

Why not. Any capable mini max pilot can fly one IMHO.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 54
Tom
May 12, 2019, 3:27pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Generally speaking I'd say I was the last person who should be advising people on piloting skills.  If I ever get my "Epic Sport" completed, I'm certainly going to want a good flight instructor to test it out thoroughly and then teach me about it's handling.  However I will say this:  I am qualified to say that the handling characteristics of any of the Rutan type canard aircraft is going to very different from the Mini-Max types and I hope that the comment above assumes that anyone who wants to go from a Mini-Max to a Rutan type canard is going to get a lot of training before soloing.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 54
joe.scalet
May 12, 2019, 5:49pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
There were two fatal crashes in this area (eastern Kansas western Missouri a number of years back. One caused be the failure to secure the fuel cap. On takeoff it went into the propeller which disintegrated, the aircraft did the lawn dart thing. There were also several non fatal landing accidents (I watched one happen), and several crosswind landing puckers. Any airplane is a compromise, fortunately, for the ones we fly are fairly benign. Just don't stall it close to the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 54
mullacharjak
May 12, 2019, 6:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I was just reading the flight manual for the vari eze which IMHO is very confusing. This is going off topic and I dont know where the varieze came into the discussion but I found the flight manual confusing so I have to say something.

The varieze is a remarkable aircraft.The manual says It does not stall.It does not drop its nose or wing at 46/49 knots with the stick all the way back at any throttle setting!

But then it says that approach speed for landing is 80-85mph and you should not flare to a full stall landing.The touch down should be not less than 62-65mph.
The question is if the low speed handling is so benign then why the high landing speed recomendation?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 54
tomshep
May 12, 2019, 7:23pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Because when it gets close to the ground, the ground effect works somewhat differently to the nice soft cushion that keeps a 'Max up. It screws up the lift. For the same reason, they cannot be operated from grass and need lots of paved runway to take off which means that over here where we fly off fields, they aren't very popular. For the record, I'd love one but my piloting skills would need a huge kick in the pants!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 54
The Termite
May 14, 2019, 2:51pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
A Hirth 3003 makes 100hp,  at about 130 lbs, including gearbox. They've been discontinued, but there's numerous ones out there, and Hirth supports them.

[url]  http://www.recpower.com/3003%20Fuel%20Injected%20110%20hp.htm[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 54
mullacharjak
May 14, 2019, 4:37pm Report to Moderator

Ace

Anyone using a Rotax 462 engine.Many of these engines available installed on trikes in uk.They are low cost and run very well.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 54
tomshep
May 14, 2019, 8:16pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Wayne specced the airframe for 50 horsepower max. 503 is as far as I would go.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 54
beragoobruce
May 14, 2019, 9:54pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
My Eros handles its 60hp MZ202 very well. It's a blast to fly, and nothing's fallen off yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 54
mullacharjak
May 15, 2019, 1:04pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from beragoobruce
My Eros handles its 60hp MZ202 very well. It's a blast to fly, and nothing's fallen off yet.

Have you flown a standard ordinary minimax? If yes then did you feel they behaved like two different aircraft?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 54
beragoobruce
May 15, 2019, 10:32pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Sadly, I haven't had the chance to fly any other Max. They are very rare in Australia. So I can't comment on 'standard' aircraft.

I would point out that my Eros feels most comfortable flying at 60 - 65 mph, so that although it can go a lot faster, it seems this is the 'sweet spot' as regards feel. So no great loss in having a smaller engine for cruise (unless you're into long cross country flights, in which case the Max is probably not ideal).

But where I do value the extra power is the ability to climb very quickly after aborting a landing. It goes up like a train and this is very useful if there are tall trees at the overshoot.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 54
ITman496
May 16, 2019, 5:09am Report to Moderator

Ace
I am very excited about this..  Also, I admire the expression 'goes up like a train' because don't trains have trouble going up hills?  

In all seriousness though, I very much agree, and it's one of the reasons I am happy with my Kawasaki 440A.  Extra power might not be necessary, but....  When that tree line is coming up fast, I think its appreciated.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 27 - 54
Tom
May 16, 2019, 11:18am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
I am not a mechanic, though oddly in our business, I used to be called on sometimes to figure out what was wrong with engines that other shops in the area viewed as mysteries.  No great trick.  All I did was put them back to absolute factory specification and of course they'd run.  But I do have a thought on engines for very light aircraft:

The choice has been either two cycle engines which are lighter but less reliable or four cycle engines which are generally viewed as more reliable but hard to get light enough.  There are two factors I've managed to identify which have made the two cycle engines less reliable.  The first is that while four cycle aircraft engines are routinely fitted with carburetor heat, few people seem to think to provide carburetor heat for two cycle engines.  However let's put that aside and talk about another factor.

There are at present two lubrication systems for the two cycle engines used in aircraft.  The first is the common mixing of oil into the fuel and using the crankcase air mixed with the fuel/oil mixture to charge the cylinder.  The second is to keep the fuel and oil separate until they are injected into the engine.  The result is much the same in the both the lubrication and combustion are provided by a mixture of fuel and oil.  This is tricky in that it is too easy to get plug fouling.

However there is a third way of running a two cycle engine.  I've worked with two cycle engines which were 50 years old, still operating daily, and very reliable.  They used a lubrication system just like a four cycle engine.  In other words the oil is in the crankcase and separate from the fuel.  The cylinder is charged with a mixture of air and fuel not by using the crank case but simply by using a blower which charges the cylinder when the port is open, very much like a super charger.  This prevents the various plug fouling problems which tend to shut down two cycle engines and results in a very powerful reliable engine which can be quite light weight.  Unless your ignition system fails they pretty much have to keep going.

Does anybody know of a two cycle engine line that works like this which is suitable for really light aircraft?  Or perhaps someone would like to try to develop one?

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 28 - 54
PUFF
May 16, 2019, 11:27am Report to Moderator

Ace
it would be nice to develop one... I'd love to see it.
of course the other engines you are speaking of are the Detroit Diesels, correct?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 54
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment