Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Biggest Engine in a Minimax? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Biggest Engine in a Minimax?  This thread currently has 1,103 views. Print
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
ITman496
May 16, 2019, 2:14pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
That would be amazing!  I wonder how hard it would be to modify an engine to act like this..
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 30 - 54
Tom
May 16, 2019, 3:13pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Yes, I was thinking of the Detroit Diesels.  Couldn't get much further from aircraft engines, but I know the engineering reasonably well and there really isn't any reason not to do a gasoline version of the same principle, but, of course, stressing light weight.  I wish I had the time work on it myself, but I'm buried in other research projects for my company.  A person with the proper knowledge could probably do most of this with stock parts on a custom crankcase.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 31 - 54
ITman496
May 16, 2019, 8:27pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Do you think a turbo would be more efficient then a blower setup?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 32 - 54
joe.scalet
May 17, 2019, 1:22am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
That is exactly how large two stroke diesels used in locomotives work. Tremendous torque, insane life span, several thousand horsepower. Just won't fit my Airbike.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 33 - 54
PUFF
May 17, 2019, 11:24am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
hmmmmm..... it's generally not the crank that blows up, usually the piston melts. So not sure of what oiling the crank would help. maybe I'm missing something here.
EGT and CHT are king here.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 34 - 54
The Termite
May 17, 2019, 12:06pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from Tom
The first is that while four cycle aircraft engines are routinely fitted with carburetor heat, few people seem to think to provide carburetor heat for two cycle engines.

Tom

There's a fellow in Canada that sells a 12 volt electric carb heat kit for Bing 54 carbs.

http://www.rotacrepair.ca/parts-accessories/

Bing 54 carbs are not very prone to carb ice, but I guess it could happen under the right conditions:  low temp, high humidity, visible moisture in the air.  But I would think most ultralight pilots wouldn't be ordinarily flying under those conditions.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 35 - 54
radfordc
May 17, 2019, 4:28pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from The Termite

Bing 54 carbs are not very prone to carb ice, but I guess it could happen under the right conditions:  low temp, high humidity, visible moisture in the air.  But I would think most ultralight pilots wouldn't be ordinarily flying under those conditions.

I've had carb ice on both Mikuni and Bing carbs as evidenced by a gradual loss of power.  Once the power loss was enough to force a landing in a hay field.  On the ground the carb was covered in moisture, inside and out.  Twenty minutes later the engine started and ran fine....but after another half hour of flying it started losing power again.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 36 - 54
ITman496
May 18, 2019, 1:26am Report to Moderator

Ace
I actually am adding carb heat to my max, I incorporated a circuit to regulate and power a 50W heater element on the carb into my electronics plan.  Glad to hear that I'm not insane for wanting it!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 37 - 54
mullacharjak
May 18, 2019, 12:39pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
Beragoobruce

I am hell bent on building a minimax.Which one will it be and when,I really dont know.I hope its soon as I am not getting any younger.

Meanwhile I have applied to  our civil aviation authority for authority to construct which Im sure I wont get.Thats the way things work in some
parts of the world.I pray I am proven wrong.But then I can always build illegally.The only drawback of that approach being the risk of being shot down by an F 16.

I was thinking on the lines that the EROS seems to be a hot ship.It would be a handful for a novice,So it would be best to build a basic 1100 first
Then after getting some flying time and after getting used to it then graduate to an EROS.
I have flown cessna 150 at local flying club about 100 hours.Also flown chinook WT11,spitfire,flightstar.Rans S6 combined about 100 hours.

How difficult to fly could the EROS be?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 38 - 54
tomshep
May 18, 2019, 12:47pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Spitfire?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 39 - 54
tomshep
May 18, 2019, 12:52pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Putting a 50 Watt element on the carb sounds a bit much ITman. I think you have more chance of vapourising the fuel than fixing carb icing! An 8r2 25 Watt aluminium clad resistor will give a decent 15 Watts. fit vertically with a hose clip to the slide side of the carb. It should be enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 40 - 54
mullacharjak
May 18, 2019, 12:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from tomshep
Spitfire?

Was that a sarcastic comment?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 41 - 54
radfordc
May 18, 2019, 4:55pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from mullacharjak
Beragoobruce

I am hell bent on building a minimax.Which one will it be and when,I really dont know.I hope its soon as I am not getting any younger.

Meanwhile I have applied to  our civil aviation authority for authority to construct which Im sure I wont get.Thats the way things work in some
parts of the world.I pray I am proven wrong.But then I can always build illegally.The only drawback of that approach being the risk of being shot down by an F 16.

I was thinking on the lines that the EROS seems to be a hot ship.It would be a handful for a novice,So it would be best to build a basic 1100 first
Then after getting some flying time and after getting used to it then graduate to an EROS.
I have flown cessna 150 at local flying club about 100 hours.Also flown chinook WT11,spitfire,flightstar.Rans S6 combined about 100 hours.

How difficult to fly could the EROS be?

I don't expect it will be difficult at all....it's basically a Minimax.  Your experience should be more than adequate.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 42 - 54
radfordc
May 18, 2019, 4:58pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from tomshep
Spitfire?

I think he means this Spitfire:  https://youtu.be/U4Qb_sLMYnU

Attachment: spitfire_908.jpg
Size: 8.20 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 43 - 54
radfordc
May 18, 2019, 5:02pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from tomshep
Putting a 50 Watt element on the carb sounds a bit much ITman. I think you have more chance of vapourising the fuel than fixing carb icing! An 8r2 25 Watt aluminium clad resistor will give a decent 15 Watts. fit vertically with a hose clip to the slide side of the carb. It should be enough.

Even though carb ice is possible on a Bing, it is rare.  I've only noticed it a couple of times in over a thousand hours.  Put whatever heater you have on a switch and use it only when needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 44 - 54
tomshep
May 18, 2019, 6:13pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Never  saw that one before. Over here the name calls up a somewhat different aircraft.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 45 - 54
mullacharjak
May 18, 2019, 6:56pm Report to Moderator

Ace

Radfordc

Thanks for the info.Have you flown both ordinary and eros mini max then?

Yes,thats the spitfire I flew.I can tell from personal experience that its a good ,solid aircraft.We even did 300 mile cross countries but that was

real tiring as it is very slow.Just 60 mph cruise.But who is complaining.It was great fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 46 - 54
beragoobruce
May 18, 2019, 10:09pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Mullarcharjak

As I said earlier, i have only flown my own Eros. But I would comment that all the Max family are very similar, at least as regards comparing the mid- & high-wing variants with each other.

The Max is an extremely well behaved little aeroplane. Its generous control surface areas give fingertip sensitivity, and lots of control in all of the envelope for which it was designed, right up to the flare. It is very stable, easy to fly, and a real joy in the air.

Your experience is ample for a Max with whatever engine option you choose, in my opinion. You might as well build to the spec you want to finish with, rather than build twice; it won't take you long to master the Max, and you'll be disappointed if you feel you're not flying the plane you really wanted.

Which country do you fly in?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 47 - 54
ITman496
May 19, 2019, 12:21am Report to Moderator

Ace
Tomshep

Yeah, it won't run at 50 watts the entire time! It is automatically controlled via the flight computer, which has a temperature sensor on the body of the carb as well.  It will turn on automatically until the carb body is heated to around 50-60F, and then turn off, and cycle as needed to maintain that.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 48 - 54
radfordc
May 19, 2019, 2:19am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from mullacharjak

Radfordc

Thanks for the info.Have you flown both ordinary and eros mini max then?

No, only a basic Minimax and an Airbike.  They are both easy to fly.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 49 - 54
mullacharjak
May 19, 2019, 6:10am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from beragoobruce
Mullarcharjak

As I said earlier, i have only flown my own Eros. But I would comment that all the Max family are very similar, at least as regards comparing the mid- & high-wing variants with each other.

The Max is an extremely well behaved little aeroplane. Its generous control surface areas give fingertip sensitivity, and lots of control in all of the envelope for which it was designed, right up to the flare. It is very stable, easy to fly, and a real joy in the air.

Your experience is ample for a Max with whatever engine option you choose, in my opinion. You might as well build to the spec you want to finish with, rather than build twice; it won't take you long to master the Max, and you'll be disappointed if you feel you're not flying the plane you really wanted.

Which country do you fly in?

Peshawar.Pakistan,just next to the khyber pass.Guess that makes me a Himalayan Buzzard.A little different but a Buzzard nevertheless.
And a very lonely buzzard at that.Most Buzzards over here have clipped wings.Thats because of the dreaded CAA and a type of Hawk which patrols the sky .
A month ago a person who had built a homebuilt aircraft and trying to make a test flight was arrested by the police and put in jail.Poor chap had to pay a fine and the judge warned him not to try it again.His dreamship was confiscated.
You can watch the whole story on the web by typing ( story of Pakpattan man who built his own airplane)

Your remark of "fingertip sensitivity" made me sweat a little but I guess that would apply to the 1100 as well as you said all maxes are similiar.Thanks for the input.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 50 - 54
beragoobruce
May 19, 2019, 6:46am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Blimey! That is a very heavy reaction for someone trying to fly his dream. Is there no scope for homebuilt aircraft in Pakistan?

It makes me all the more appreciative of how things were when I started flying in the 70's. I built a Pterodactyl from a kit and taught myself to fly it. I modified it greatly, installing a larger engine with my own reduction drive. Then I designed & built a two seater, on which I flew my wife and my two young children (separately!). I flew a 140 mile cross country, and did some night flying. All this with no regulation whatsoever: no build or inspection requirements; no licence needed; and I had no instruction or any kind of flying lessons before I started flying Cessnas 4 years later. Great days in a true spirit of pioneering.

I'm sorry you don't have similar freedoms, but I do wish you well in your quest to become the first Buteo refectus. You will not have a problem flying the Max with your skills from previous types, so that should be the least of your worries. Regulations are the true stumbling block, but do try to persevere - end result is worth it!

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 51 - 54
aeronut
May 19, 2019, 3:42pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Make your first flights from grass but remember the airplane is a tail draggier and you will be just fine. It will surprise at first at how fast you get air born, but that will become just fun after the first few take offs. Keep your speed up as you approach the runway and be ready to flair when you kill the power cause the airplane looses flying speed fairly quickly cause it is light and draggy. If they  will not will not let you follow your dream in Pakistan then find a place that will let you be creative and move; it will be Pakistan's loss and your gain. But I would love to see pictures of your country side taken from a Mini-Max.    

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 52 - 54
Ricardo
May 19, 2019, 8:32pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Mullarcharjak:
From what ground elevation you will be flying from?
I'll try to build the Eros with a powerful engine as Begaboobruce's plane.
It may be a waste of time trying to build the 1100R just to get the feeling.
I built my 1600R with the only help from this site, never built anything before and is the only scratch plane in this country.
It flies just great!
Good luck with those permits; but you can always camouflage your bird  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 53 - 54
mullacharjak
May 20, 2019, 2:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Ricardo
           Yours is a very nice flying machine.I have watched the test flight video.Our airfield elevation is variable from 400 feet to 7000 feet MSL. The general enroute elevation in the north is higher. The mountain ridges are from 5000 feet to 18000 feet and countless peaks of 20000feet and above.In the south elevation is minimax friendly. Your camouflage suggestion is quite clever.I may do that although Radars are very effective these Days!
Aeronut
            Thanks for the flying advice.Your suggestion of moving as an aviation refugee is well meant.I may modify on that theme.There are a few
abandoned airstrips of world war 2 vintage located in un controlled airspace of which there is very little left.I may try to convince the CAA to establish a sort of concentration camp for poor ultralights,like a  Stalag 17. Maybe then we may be left to seek happiness in our frail wood and fabric contraptions. Your other wish of a picture of our countryside is also well taken.We have some spectacular scenery.Minimax would make us proud posing against such scenery.

Beragoobruce
                    Thanks for the encouragement.Australia has  been on the map of sport  and pioneer aviation since antiquity.There are miles and miles of miles out there,Just build and fly.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 54 - 54
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment