Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Android in the cockpit Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Android in the cockpit  This thread currently has 2,385 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
ninelima
January 6, 2019, 11:39am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 6 hours 16 minutes
I am very pleased to announce release 24 of  Kwik EFIS (Electronic Flight Information System) and DMAP (Digital Mapping).  
The product suite now has support for the Stratux http://stratux.me/ devices.

This allows for a very inexpensive solution to simple flight instrumentation for use in experimental aircraft.  
Short article on the Stratux/Kwik integration:  http://members.iinet.net.au/~ninelima/stratux/

Some videos:
https://youtu.be/t6Vnk_rdSzI
https://youtu.be/PzmiZzQZ1EE

Logged Offline
Private Message
ninelima
January 6, 2019, 11:45am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member

The enhanced entry mode (aka fatfinger) can be accessed by tapping in the "Active airport" information.

Some exciting developments to Kwik EFIS have taken place recently.  

In addition to a re-designed menu activation system and fully automated database selection, Kwik EFIS now boasts a companion Digital moving Map application ... drum roll, maestro if you please ...

Introducing: Kwik DMAP!

to run alongside Kwik EFIS:

As usual, the Current work in progress candidates (unsigned) are available, from:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ninelima/efis/download.html

And all artifacts of Kwik EFIS are also released to F-Droid for signing and distribution.
https://f-droid.org/packages/player.efis.pfd/
https://f-droid.org/packages/player.efis.mfd/
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 45
ninelima
January 6, 2019, 1:31pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member

I just realized ... This thread should probably go in "Off Topic" ... Although ... it is going into our Himax
If it is an issue, can a moderator please move the thread.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 45
ITman496
January 7, 2019, 1:12am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
That is very, very cool!  I have a question, can you receive all of your data from the Stratux?

I have HDMI displays that I am going to use in my max, and it would be super cool if I could run android on a raspberry Pi and be able to get data from Stratux, as the pi does not have built in gyros or gps.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 45
ninelima
January 7, 2019, 8:37am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Yes, all the data come from the Stratux. It is very easy to add gps and gyros to a Raspberry Pi Model 3 (not 3+).

I use the VK-162 gps (both the plug in and the gps-mouse (the mouse works better in metal airplanes)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Vk-162+GPS&_sacat=0

For the gyro, I use Stratux AHRS Sensors and Fan Controller / Raspberry Pi MPU9250+BMP280.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm.....amp;_odkw=Vk-162+GPS
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 45
tomshep
January 8, 2019, 5:56pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
That is a jolly good device. I particularly likee the AHRS. Any possibility of ADS-B out, like the sky echo in the near future?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 45
ITman496
January 10, 2019, 3:56am Report to Moderator

Ace
Do I need to add the gps and gyros to the pi running android, or the pi running stratux?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 45
ninelima
January 10, 2019, 5:22am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
The system architecture is as follows:
1) A Raspberry Pi Model 3 running the stratux software. with the gps, ADHRS and ADS-B  radios fitted as shown in the foto above.
2) An suitable android device (Nexus 7 works well for me) running the Kwik EFIS/DMAP software to display the results.

Kwik EFIS connects to the Raspberry/Stratux with WiFi, so there is not even any cables required

Kwik EFIS as well as Stratux is open source, so you can hack the code any way you like. For example if you wish to not use a tablet, simply modify and compile the Stratux code and add your own drivers for a display of your choice.

I have been thinking I may port the Kwik products to Raspberry, but have not really done anything about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 45
ninelima
January 10, 2019, 5:29am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Stratux AHRS Sensors, VK-162 gps and 2x 1090 radios for $60-70 on eBay. Plus another $50 or so for the Raspberry.
Gives you a full ADHRS with ADS-B in.  This is very inexpensive for what you get.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 45
ITman496
January 10, 2019, 6:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Yes, that's the main thing I'm asking.  I would love for it to run on Raspberry, but I can run android on a raspberry too.  I have a 10.1" hdmi screen that I am using in my plane that is around 1000cd/m2, so its bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight.  My main question is: Can the software function on an android device with no built in sensors and rely entirely on gps/attitude data from stratux.  Since if I install android on a Pi and then run Kwik on it, it would not have any onboard sensors.  Most tablets have gyros/accellerometers/gps/compass built into them, that's my main worry.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 45
ninelima
January 10, 2019, 7:25am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Quoted from ITman496
Can the software function on an android device with no built in sensors and rely entirely on gps/attitude data from stratux.

Absolutely.

The Kwik software is pretty modular and quite loosely coupled. The code is all written in Java with I believe is available on the Pi/Rasbian. I used OpenGL (OpenGLES20) as the graphics engine/library (on Andoid) and assuming this is available on the Pi, it should be an almost trivial port.

If not, pretty much only the the rendering module will have to be changed to suit the graphics display and driver you want to use.

The biggest pain in the ass for me was to get the data through the WiFi, decoding that, and re-formatting etc. None of that will be needed since you will have direct access to the Stratux process on the Pi. All the Stratux code is written in "Go".  You need to decide on a protocol to transfer the Stratux payload between the two applications both running on the Pi, which will be a lot less work than it was screwing around with all the vagaries of WiFi.

I've not done much development on the Pi, but if it supports Java and OpenGL or better yet Android directly, it should pretty much work straight out the box.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 45
ITman496
January 10, 2019, 3:31pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Neat! porting it myself would be a bit above my abilities, but if you ever want a test platform for a pi port, count me in! I was going to make my own custom digital gauge system but if I can mod Kwik to do what I need and have all that cool stuff it has, it would be even better.  I like the idea of it running on the Pi and having a hard connection instead of Wifi. Though I suppose they could go over ethernet.  the Pi does support OpenGL as far as I know.  And it definitely supports Java.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 45
ninelima
January 12, 2019, 2:37pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
There is a project named: RoscoPi AHRS/Traffic display app for Stratux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF4-Jeb_TJU

It does not have all the features of Kwik, but I think it does pretty much what you need.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 45
ITman496
January 13, 2019, 12:20am Report to Moderator

Ace
Interesting!!  I like it.  Its not as pretty as Kwik.. I'll still try to get both working =)  Would it be able to use Ethernet instead of Wifi if running android on a pi?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 45
ninelima
January 13, 2019, 4:05am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
I've not used RoscoPi. From what I understand it is a complete self contained ADHRS/ADS-B solution. One Raspberry Pi, with the various plug in bits and a display. I'm sure you can hook ap anything else you like via the Ethernet port.

I may have a play with this sometime. Which display would reccomend?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 45
ITman496
January 13, 2019, 4:24am Report to Moderator

Ace
I have ordered them directly from a supplier on alibaba.  This is the page I got them from, for 60 dollars for the display+hdmi driver, plus 25 shipping.  They are insanely bright.

https://www.alibaba.com/produc.....8.0.0.11853e5fWbpybm
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 45
tomshep
January 13, 2019, 8:37am Report to Moderator
Ace
? Tried to install the efis. Prompted to install  f Droid which was just a spam for stuff I did not want.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 45
ninelima
January 13, 2019, 11:45am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
F-Droid is the Free and Open Source (FOSS) equivalent to the Google Play store. It is not spam (I contribute to the project). But you certainly do not need to use it.
Simply download and sideload the APK's and install them on your device as per the instructions on the Kwik homepage: http://members.iinet.net.au/~ninelima/efis/installation.html
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 45
tomshep
January 13, 2019, 5:30pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Thank you, I shall give it a try.
I have managed to download it to a phone but the horizon is not moving although the compass is. The opening screen is trying to install the Stratux module and I am guessing that as I don't yet have one, that is why it doesn't work. The flight director icon seems to be doing something though.
If it can be made to do the horizon, it looks like a good add on to the Max.
I am guessing that the northern Europe map does not include the UK?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 45
tomshep
January 13, 2019, 5:59pm Report to Moderator
Ace
On a modern Android phone(2017 Sony Xperia running Oreo), this locks up repeatedly, the horizon does not work and the menus freeze. This is some way from where it needs to be for me to be happy to use it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 45
tomshep
January 13, 2019, 6:08pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Uninstalled it. Tried it again. Uninstalled it. Sorry. It does not work for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 45
ninelima
January 14, 2019, 5:12am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Quoted from tomshep
Uninstalled it. Tried it again. Uninstalled it. Sorry. It does not work for me.

Bummer

The message you are seeing is the Kwik EFIS trying to connect to the Stratus module/box via WiFi. I thought that was disabled by default,

I'll need to have a look at the code. You can use the Kwik EFIS without the Stratux, that is how I have used it for up to fairly recently.

There is a a checkbox: Menu/Manage/Stratux that you can un-tick which disables the Stratux integration and it should work using just the built-in sensors of your device. The performance is, however, greatly dependent on the sensors in the device. I have had best luck with a Nexus 7 tablet and a Galaxy S5. With my Motorola and a Galaxy S2 phones it is completely useless.

By far the best I have done so far is using a Stratux (on the Raspberry Pi) as the ADHRS and the Android merely as the display via WiFi (ie with the box ticked).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 45
tomshep
January 14, 2019, 6:33am Report to Moderator
Ace
Stratus box was unticked if that helps.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 45
ninelima
January 17, 2019, 5:54am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
> 2017 Sony Xperia running Oreo
Thanks, I'll see if I can get hold of someone at the club with the same phone and do some tests.

It may be worth doing a sensor calibration on your phone and see it that helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeyDIu__SLY

Also, without the Stratux device, Kwik is relying heavily on the GPS (and to a lesser extent on the gyros). If the GPS fix is not good, this could be a problem.

It can be a bit of a challenge to get apps working on different devices sometimes. I had a lot of problems with a couple of the Samsung models some time ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 45
tomshep
January 17, 2019, 7:44am Report to Moderator
Ace
Nope. GPS fix is darn near perfect. Completely useless. Trying to get this to work whilst airborne would be very distracting and frustrating. It will not be going near my aircraft because it simply does not work.  I'm sorry because a lot of work has gone into it but aviation equipment needs to work. If it doesn't then it is dangerous if you rely on it and unnecessary if you don't.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 45
ninelima
January 26, 2019, 3:38pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Sorry to hears that. I tried, but nobody I know has a Sony Xperia, so I have been unable to test with that yet.

You might try it using a Nexus 7 tablet (they can be had off eBay for very little money) or a Samsung Galaxy S5.
Quite a few people at our club use those, with and without the Stratux box. Most use the Nexus 7 normally mounted semi permanently  in a dock or cradle.

Here are vids of fairly recent tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Vnk_rdSzI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzmiZzQZ1EE
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 45
tomshep
January 26, 2019, 7:40pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Loaded it to my Nexus 7. Should have known better. This thing simply does not work. It is a collection of patches held together with bugs and I shall waste no more time than it takes to uninstall it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 45
tomshep
January 26, 2019, 9:33pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Does not even open on a Nexus 7. Think we're being had.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 27 - 45
ninelima
January 27, 2019, 4:01am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Quoted from tomshep
Loaded it to my Nexus 7. Should have known better. This thing simply does not work. It is a collection of patches held together with bugs and I shall waste no more time than it takes to uninstall it.

Why are you so adversarial? I'm sorry that you cannot get it to work, however that does not mean the product does not work.

Instead of just complaining, you are also free to download the entire source base and rather do something constructive. This will benefit of the whole community.

See also: https://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=183217&hilit=android+in+the+cockpit
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 28 - 45
ITman496
January 27, 2019, 5:33am Report to Moderator

Ace
Seemed to work fine for me when I tried it. Fired right up.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 45
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment