Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Landing gear - lack of suspension Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Landing gear - lack of suspension  This thread currently has 3,013 views. Print
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Recommend Thread
Keith103
November 22, 2018, 7:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Quoted from wirsig
It mounts on the same rim. I have it mounted in the picture linked above.

Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

Private Message Reply: 30 - 65
Stilson
November 23, 2018, 1:01am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
I second that, I ordered a pair and tubes.  I'm contemplating throwing them on a dynamic balancer and "shave" off the tread to lighten them up, then see if I can get them to get a consistent balance to minimize the vibration after take off that was mentioned in another post.  
Private Message Reply: 31 - 65
kfb
November 27, 2018, 8:29pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi

With the Mini Max I am building, I was hoping for a simple pathway to a big increase in tire diameter, possibly tire width, and possibly get to a very smooth tread, even no pattern to the tread.  

Am I dreaming or delusional?

I've not had occasion to replace tires before and I must confess I have little knowledge here.  My tires are standard per the kits in the early 1980s.  The side wall says 4.000 x 6.  The six is apparently the innermost id of the rubber itself, the four must be the tire's widest dimension.  The axle is 1" with oilite bearings in the wheels.  The tire's overall height is about 13 inches. I have already assembled the gear so have some interest in using the axle set up.  A quick look at some of the things suggested here makes me think the 1" diameter axle is the achille's heel in this discussion.  Most of the wheel hub ids are smaller.  It seems to me that this is where I am:

1. if I want to keep the rims, and therefore not have to screw around with the axle, I can't gain a lot in overall tire height or tire width

2. if I want to, one way or another, decrease the axle diameter at the wheel, more choices seem to pop up, but decreasing the axle diameter at the outboard ends seems to challenge the existing strut connection engineering.  

Any help offered is appreciated by this tire neophyte in New Hampshire

Thanks.

Kim Brown

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 32 - 65
Stilson
November 28, 2018, 1:48am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
I received my order yesterday, though I haven't mounted them yet.  I have the 4.00 x 6's now, and just setting them next to each other confirmed that I'll have to put a "blister" in the roof of my hauling trailer since it will definitely raise the prop past the roof, and I'm wondering if I won't have to increase the size of my trim tab to offset the increased drag hanging down low, but that being said I'm excited about them.  The side walls will be "pinched" in quite a bit towards the rim, but I'm 99.9% confident that these will be the ones on it when warmer weather come around.  I've got my wings hanging in the garage so that I can store my propeller sideways for winter anyway, so hopefully I can get them mounted on the rims and spin them up to check balance this week
Private Message Reply: 33 - 65
wirsig
December 2, 2018, 5:55pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 19 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from kfb
hoping for a simple pathway to a big increase in tire diameter...  The side wall says 4.000 x 6...if I want to keep the rims, and therefore not have to screw around with the axle, I can't gain a lot in overall tire height or tire width...

Kim, the turfglide tires I posted about on the first page fit the 4x6” rim, so you can use the rims you already have and not mess with the axles. They’re 17.6” tall, 7” wide, but weigh 8 lbs. each which is twice the weight of wheelbarrow tires. Carlisle makes a tire called the Turf Saver II that’s a little taller than yours (14.3”) that weighs in at 4.3 lbs. It has very little tread and rounded shoulders so they’ll have the nice balloon look on your narrow rims. They’re cheap also!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/5112301-Turfsaver-II-Lawn-Garden-Tire-15-x-600-6-LRA-2-ply/860285784
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 34 - 65
kfb
December 3, 2018, 3:19pm Report to Moderator
Ace
OK Wirsig:
So this tire and tube combo will fit on my existing rims and therefore I will not have to screw with the axle assembly right?
Kim Brown
New Hampshire

Carlisle Turf Glide 8.00-6/4 Tire
CarlisleWalmart # 550462553
$50.97
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-Turf-Glide-8-00-6-4-Tire/23597336
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TIR.....Heavy-Duty/891011414

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 35 - 65
Keith103
December 3, 2018, 5:15pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from kfb
OK Wirsig:
So this tire and tube combo will fit on my existing rims and therefore I will not have to screw with the axle assembly right?
Kim Brown
New Hampshire

Carlisle Turf Glide 8.00-6/4 Tire
CarlisleWalmart # 550462553
$50.97
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-Turf-Glide-8-00-6-4-Tire/23597336
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TIR.....Heavy-Duty/891011414

I too am in search of a tire with thicker wall/ply , but to go with same wheel / axle set-up.

I think the tire width where it contacts the rim needs to be  2.75 inches, so as to fit the stock plastic wheels which come with the kit. The diameter is not really a limiting issue.

The present wheel barrow tires weigh 2.3 lbs each ( just the tire, tube is extra ). Mine being Part 103, about 4.5 lbs per tire is the most my plane can take.
Private Message Reply: 36 - 65
flydog
December 4, 2018, 1:15am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
I received a pair of the turfglides today, came with tubes. The valve stem is offset from center line( on the tube ) and the hole in the wheel for the valve stem is on the center line.
Called the dealer and he has nothing to fit that tire with the valve on center.
Suggestions on a tube before I drill a new hole in the wheel?
BTW who mentioned shaving the tread? Carlise makes a smooth tread tire, slightly smaller and less lbs.
I may regret putting these heavy suckers on an Airbike and might downsize in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 37 - 65
kfb
December 5, 2018, 4:09am Report to Moderator
Ace
I printed the Turf Glide numbers and went to a WalMart today to see what they had.  They could not find the tire with the info I had.  I returned to the office and called Carlisle Tire and had an awful time with a customer service rep, asked for another rep who was helpful, and she indicated that Carlisle makes no such tire currently, she did not know if they did in the past.  I then went onto the Wal Mart web site and found the Carlisle tire in question.  Right next to the details on the tire it said  "damaged only", which I took to mean all of them that they had were in some way seconds, or rejects.  I think I will hold off on the Carlisle purchase for now and wait to see what kind of success the posters on this thread have with their tires.  
Thanks for all help and comments
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 38 - 65
kfb
December 5, 2018, 8:54pm Report to Moderator
Ace
I called Bear Perkins powered parachute company today per the suggestion in an earlier post, they 8.00 x 6 turf tires/tube rim offered for $170, as I have the Mini Max axle issue to contend with, I asked if they sold tires/tubes only, tire was $87 plus shipping, forgot to get the tube price.  Seems as if I have to get the tube too as the Mini Max rim has the valve stem hole in it, I guess one would have to take their chances in regards to the stem hole location, I think this has been discussed before.  So it will be $100 anyway per tire when all is said and done.  

and this brings up a related issue............

has anyone ever considered/discussed/experimented with sleeving the end of the Mini Max axle to a smaller diameter to accommodate other tire/rim options?  Example, if it is 1" O.D. now, with 1/8" thickness metal, can you sleeve with a 3/4" O.D. pipe or even a solid rod to get more rim choices?

Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 39 - 65
Stilson
December 6, 2018, 12:25am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Quoted from flydog

BTW who mentioned shaving the tread? Carlise makes a smooth tread tire, slightly smaller and less lbs.
I may regret putting these heavy suckers on an Airbike and might downsize in the future.

I did, I'm still in a the contemplating stage, I'm leaning towards mounting the rim and tire in a drill press (using some threaded rod and a couple cones through the rim) and spin it at moderately low speed and using a wire wheel in a grinder to take them down. But I don't make any recommendation to do it,  I had been contemplating making a tire from Kevlar cloth and thinned RTV silicone with some uni cloth to build up a bead area, layed out in a female mold and pressed with the inner tube before I saw this thread, and I still  might try it, so my judgment is "suspect"
Private Message Reply: 40 - 65
beragoobruce
December 6, 2018, 5:19am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from kfb

has anyone ever considered/discussed/experimented with sleeving the end of the Mini Max axle to a smaller diameter to accommodate other tire/rim options?  Example, if it is 1" O.D. now, with 1/8" thickness metal, can you sleeve with a 3/4" O.D. pipe or even a solid rod to get more rim choices?

Remember the strut loads pass through the axle on a MiniMax. So you would not want to reduce the axle dimension at all at all.  Not a problem on the HiMax, though, provided the axle can take dynamic landing loads (say 1.5G on one wheel, or roughly 1000lbs).

Bruce

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 41 - 65
PUFF
December 7, 2018, 12:26pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Mine has a different wheel entirely with roller bearings.....
it's an aluminum Go Cart Wheel
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 42 - 65
kfb
December 11, 2018, 8:04pm Report to Moderator
Ace
I did take someone's advice and tried to check in with Team, I forget if I called or e=mailed, regarding large or tundra type tires.  I heard nothing back.  I thought I had also looked at their website but apparently I had not as they do show tundra type tires, tubes, and rims.  Their large one is 21/800-6 4 ply about $200 each for tire and tube.  I had in the interim gone to Perkins Powered parachute site and ordered one(to see if it works) tire and tube, tire is 17 1/2"/800-6 4 ply, tire and tube about $100.  If it fits the stock rim in the kit OK, I'll order the other one.  I'm not sure if I would have sprung for the $400 for three more inches in height or not.  Anyway, next time I will check the Team website more thoroughly.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 43 - 65
flydog
December 12, 2018, 1:51am Report to Moderator
Ace
Isn't that the Carlisle Turf Glide via Bear Perkins for $100?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 44 - 65
wirsig
December 12, 2018, 3:02am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 19 hours 59 minutes
Yep
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 45 - 65
kfb
December 12, 2018, 3:46am Report to Moderator
Ace
Actually I just got the box from Bear Perkins, had not even opened it yet, and lo and behold, it is the Carlisle Turf Glide tire.  Hmmmmmm, dilemma, aggravated by I've still got probably twelve more months of building time before running it around on the ground.  One poster here indicated he had used them and had to apply brakes once airborne to get the tires to stop to stop the vibration.  I'll probably keep it but I might inquire of Bear Perkins if they have had any such feed back on the Carlisle tires.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 46 - 65
flydog
December 12, 2018, 7:24pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Adhesive back wheel weights?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 47 - 65
kfb
December 24, 2018, 4:23pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Yesterday I had the one Carlisle tire and tube mounted on the original kit split rim, sure looks large, have to deflate it to a very low poundage before any softness/shock absorption is available.  Won't know about balance/shimmy/shake until the plane is done.  I did not ask the tire guy if there was any balancing methodology available for such small tires.  If there is, I will do that, but that may or may not take care of the problem some have cited on this website.  Anyway, onward and eventually upward.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 48 - 65
aeronut
December 24, 2018, 6:30pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Kim if you set the tire pressure too low there is the possibility of the tire turning on the wheel and the valve stem is at risk while landing. At touchdown the wheel accelerates from zero to 30 mph in a hart beat. I have the aluminum wheels and have had this happen. I would check the  hole in the wheel where the valve stem exits and make sure there are no sharp edges. Best wishes and Merry Christmas.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 49 - 65
Dick Rake
December 24, 2018, 8:27pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Kim,
Could you post a picture of the tire so I have some idea what it looks like mounted on the wheel?
Thanks
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 50 - 65
kfb
December 25, 2018, 2:22am Report to Moderator
Ace
Dick
Tried to add four photos, seems like I can only get two, will try sending two more with another post.  Four photos should show a front of plane shot showing the size difference one side to the other, and then front and side of each tire, the original and the replacement
Kim Brown

Attachment: tire_1_4480.bmp
Size: 225.05 KB

Attachment: tire_3_2141.bmp

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 51 - 65
kfb
December 25, 2018, 2:23am Report to Moderator
Ace
Dick
Hopefully a couple more
Kim Brown

Attachment: tire_2_4875.bmp

Attachment: tire_4_1918.bmp

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 52 - 65
kfb
December 25, 2018, 2:39am Report to Moderator
Ace
Hi
One last photo
Kim Brown

Attachment: tire_6_3726.jpg
Size: 36.11 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 53 - 65
Keith103
December 25, 2018, 3:20am Report to Moderator

Ace
Since the Max wheels don’t need to roll faster than about 35-38 mph, balancing the wheel may not be that critical an issue.  Usually the shimmy / wobble from unbalanced wheels  show up at slightly higher speeds.
Would be interested to know if anyone has had a balance related issue with a Max wheel ?
Private Message Reply: 54 - 65
LSaupe
December 25, 2018, 1:11pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
I used to run a set.  Never had any balance problems on mine.  Do recall I needed to run low pressure to keep from bouncing though,  Maybe like 4-6 psi (something like that).  Very happy with the tires though.  Take off and landing speed was about 30 mph typically.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 55 - 65
Dick Rake
December 25, 2018, 2:15pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Thanks for pictures Kim. I like the Cub like shape with those tires.
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 56 - 65
cdlwingnut
January 4, 2019, 12:17am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
I saw someone mention the wheels on my Piet, not only am i trying the spoke wheels but this will be my suspension too

Attachment: 20190102_140328_resized_1_4989.jpg
Size: 238.53 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 57 - 65
aeronut
January 4, 2019, 6:00am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Will there be a safety cable if the bungee breaks?

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 58 - 65
cdlwingnut
January 4, 2019, 1:21pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
oh yes
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 59 - 65
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Recommend Thread
Print