Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Flight Instrumentation Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Flight Instrumentation  This thread currently has 962 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Phil
October 29, 2018, 1:23pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 4 hours 23 minutes
Hi,
Time for me to finalized set-up the basic flight instruments.
Listing consist:
Compass
Altimeter
ASI 0-80MPH
Tachometer
Inclinometer
CHT/EGT
Here, I'll be asking more questions with regards to requirements needed to obtain proper
installation and fitting as neccessary. This is before ordering all items from supplier so it
be pack in single shipment.
First, is about ASI (FALCON 0-80MPH). Besides this gauge what items or fittings should I'll order as needed?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Phil
October 29, 2018, 1:46pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Photo as reference..

Attachment: asi_4614.jpg
Size: 76.53 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 34
Phil
October 29, 2018, 1:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Altimeter front and back view..

Attachment: altimeter1_883.jpg
Size: 229.30 KB

Attachment: altimeter2_5418.jpg
Size: 217.95 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 34
Phil
October 29, 2018, 1:56pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Altimeter shown back side has threaded hole. What should I do with this when installed?

Please apologized photo size. Still working out using celphone in posting.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 34
Dick Rake
October 29, 2018, 7:49pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Phil,
That threaded hole (port) is for a static line. You could put a "T" fitting in the static line that goes to your airspeed indicator and run a line from the "T" to the altimeter static port or if your altimeter is mounted in an area where there will be no airflow around the back side of the altimeter you could just leave the port open. If you leave the port open you may want to find a way to filter the port with a piece cloth fabric to keep dust and bugs out but still allow air to pass through.
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 34
Phil
October 29, 2018, 9:17pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks for your input Dick. I have not seen  Falcon ASI gauge yet.
Do pressure gauges has standard fitting sizes? What specific sizes would it be for pitot/static port fittings? AN or any.
And line type and inside diameter?
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 34
Phil
October 29, 2018, 10:45pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Which EGT CLAMP TYPE probe compatible for rotax. Here are different sizes shown.

Attachment: egt_probe_6165.jpg
Size: 104.30 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 34
texasbuzzard
October 29, 2018, 11:51pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
Phil if you have a 503 the exhaust header should be a Y configuration. In order to get a proper reading on you egt the probes need to be located near the exhaust outlets of the cylinders. Most manifolds have welded threaded bungs to accept the 8 mm probes. If yours don’t you would need to weld the fittings or find a manifold that has them. Useing A clamp probe would have to be mounted on the round elbow which would not give a true reading. Mounting probes in the Y header will give you readings on both cylinders.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 34
ScottLuckman
October 30, 2018, 12:42am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 21 days 15 hours 15 minutes
Quoted from Phil
Do pressure gauges has standard fitting sizes? What specific sizes would it be for pitot/static port fittings? AN or any. And line type and inside diameter? Phil

I believe it's 3/8 NPT and 1/4 ID for the hoses to the pitot tube and static ports. Here's a couple of threads for pitot mounting

Pitot on wing tip     http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1529342748/s-7/highlight-pitot/#num7

Nice Static port build    https://ulbuilder.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/static-ports/amp/

Scott
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 34
Phil
October 30, 2018, 1:19am Report to Moderator

Ace
Monte the 277 header has no provision for EGT probe. That is why I choose clamp type to get rid
On welding that could weaken metal on the process. There were two clamp type on above posted
Catalogue but dont know which is which to choose between them. All I have to do is to drill proper hole to insert the selected probe.
Am I right? Any comment apprrciated.
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 34
Phil
October 30, 2018, 1:26am Report to Moderator

Ace
Intent to install EGT Clamp type shown in redline.

Attachment: 277header_309.jpg
Size: 346.39 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 34
Phil
October 30, 2018, 1:37am Report to Moderator

Ace
Scott thanks for posting. The static set-up shown on link is the same as mine
Original suggest by TEAM. My wing is detachable where the pitot tube mount in strut
Something should be done to link  the pressure hose between wing and fuselage in attaching and removing.
Any idea on this system?
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 34
Dick Rake
October 30, 2018, 1:59am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Phil
Thanks for your input Dick. I have not seen  Falcon ASI gauge yet.
Do pressure gauges has standard fitting sizes? What specific sizes would it be for pitot/static port fittings? AN or any.
And line type and inside diameter?
Phil

Phil,  Its been so long since I did the plumbing on my airspeed/altimeter that I don't remember the size of the tubing or fittings. I'll go online with Falcon tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 34
ScottLuckman
October 30, 2018, 2:03am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 21 days 15 hours 15 minutes
How bout this for all of you pitot and static lines. Scroll down the page and look at frequently bought together for the line and other fittings.

https://www.amazon.com/Pneumat.....CSMH2R4Y3ECRNGHBAMX8

I also found a CHT/EGT gauge I had laying around, Ill take $50 bucks shipped. You will have to get your own EGT And CHT probes (48"  J & K type). you can goto WESTACH.com and look at the spec sheet for P/N 2DA1.

Scott

Attachment: egtcht_7403.jpg
Size: 616.89 KB

Attachment: 2da1_5310.jpg
Size: 273.04 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 34
Phil
October 30, 2018, 3:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Scott, I like westach products but not this one. It has a minimum 12" distance required between compass which is impossible
on my set up. Only 2" clearance in between.
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 34
texasbuzzard
October 30, 2018, 4:11pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
Phil didn't realize you had a 277 when i made the statement. the 1/2 clamp on probe was what i used on my 277. i did mount it on the header to get it closer the the cylinder outlet.

monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 34
radfordc
October 30, 2018, 7:32pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Rotax usually specifies a distance of 4" from the edge of the piston to the EGT probe.  This is supposed to give accurate readings.  More or less distance could give a different reading, but it shouldn't vary much.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 34
Dick Rake
October 31, 2018, 1:54am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Dick Rake

Phil,  Its been so long since I did the plumbing on my airspeed/altimeter that I don't remember the size of the tubing or fittings. I'll go online with Falcon tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.
Dick

Phil,  Below is a link to Falcon's pitot static diagram for the airspeed and altimeter. The port size on both instruments is 1/8 NPT and the plastic/nylon tubing is 1/4" outside diameter. They show AN fittings but you don't need to spend the money on those when cheaper parts will work for a Mini-max. You might be able to find the tubing and compression fitting at a local hardware store or Home center. The link Scott provided should have the compression fittings you need if you can't find them locally.
Dick
https://www.falcongauge.com/UploadDrivers/2013617151010185.pdf
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 34
Phil
October 31, 2018, 10:13am Report to Moderator

Ace
Very informative Dick. Thank you very much!
Regards,
Phil V.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 34
beragoobruce
November 3, 2018, 5:34am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from Phil
Hi,
Time for me to finalized set-up the basic flight instruments.
Listing consist:
Compass
Altimeter
ASI 0-80MPH
Tachometer
Inclinometer
CHT/EGT

Please don't get an inclinometer. These typically measure 30º or even 45º either side of the horizontal, and would be interesting on a sailing boat. They won't tell you what angle you're banking at on an aircraft because a bank is a positive 'g' manoeuvre, and an indicator like this should show 0º of incline all the way up to a 90º (properly executed) banked turn.

What you need is a slip ball. This shows if your turn is not co-ordinated, and indicates that you are skidding. You only need a few degrees off zero to tell you this: anything more than half a ball diameter off the centreline & you need to get your footwork sorted. In a side or forward slip the ball will go right to the end of the scale - but you know you're slipping then, because your controls are crossed on purpose. The slip ball scale is not usually graduated, is very short, and has very little curvature in the tube.

Sorry if you already knew all this, but there must be quite a few builders who evidently don't, given the number of times I've seen a +/- 45º inclinometer on the panel in photos. The last 40º each side is just wasted panel space!

Bruce

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 34
Keith103
November 3, 2018, 6:33am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
I have the same airspeed indicator. Note, the backside inlets for the static and pitot ports are NOT threaded. I also could not figure out what connectors to use, I ended up improvising something, which seems to be working out ok. It should not be too difficult for you to improvise something, (unless some member can tell you exactly what connector to use.)
Private Message Reply: 20 - 34
Phil
November 3, 2018, 7:30am Report to Moderator

Ace
Oh yes..Bruce, apology I should have posted the turn bank indicator instead.
Placed an order already with this type.

Attachment: bank_indicator_4090.jpg
Size: 57.07 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 34
wirsig
November 24, 2018, 12:59am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 19 hours 59 minutes
Anyone try putting this together? I’m thinking about it for my Airbike rebuild.
http://experimentalavionics.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 34
ITman496
November 24, 2018, 1:14am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
That looks neat!  And its pretty similar to what I'm working on. I have a 10.1" 1000cd/m2 (daylight viewable) LCD that I want to turn into an MFD like a big plane would have.  I've been lazy working on it, but hopefully in a few weeks I'll have something to show for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 34
tomshep
November 25, 2018, 5:18pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Doesn't work very well. You will spend a lot of time tinkering with it to very little effect.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 34
nathan.bissonette
November 27, 2018, 6:04pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 9 hours 13 minutes
I have a 2-1/4 inch Falcon airspeed indicator on my 1100, scale is 0-80 measured in miles per hour.  At rest, the needle does not line up with the zero, it lines up with the 80, meaning it's reading too slow.  
It may have been damaged in transit when I was hauling the airplane from Texas to Minnesota.  No screws to take the case apart.  Bezel ring looks as if it might come off.  Does it?

For the price of repair, I'd prefer to replace but who sells them?  They're on permanent back-order at Aircraft Spruce.  The Swift brand is competitively priced, anybody have experience with them?  How about Uma?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 34
nathan.bissonette
November 27, 2018, 6:09pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 9 hours 13 minutes
By the way, I downloaded the Avare software to my Android phone and tried it while driving to the airport.  

Avare accurately shows my location on the VFR sectional map and the compass heading is correct, but the altitude is way off, as much as 100 feet different from the published airport elevation.  

Anybody have better results?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 34
ITman496
November 27, 2018, 11:10pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Depending on the phone, that's probably about right. Some nice phones have high end barometers in them that are extremely sensitive, some don't and rely on GPS altitude which could have a bit of an offset.  Or it does have a barometer and its out of cal.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 27 - 34
Phil
April 6, 2019, 1:12am Report to Moderator

Ace
Instrument layout.

Attachment: instrument_layout_3906.jpg
Size: 464.05 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 28 - 34
aeronut
April 6, 2019, 2:42am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Are the bright metal screws steel ? If they are then you should swap them out for brass ,especially around the compass. Usually brass bolt and nuts are used in the panel and they are usually painted black.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 34
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment