Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Closed rudder control system Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Closed rudder control system  This thread currently has 1,284 views. Print
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
srbell
July 15, 2013, 11:24pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 12 days 5 hours 32 minutes
OK, that explains it. I didn't realize there would be that much adverse yaw. I suppose the Max being short coupled probably contributes to that.
I second the recommendation for "Stick and Rudder". Should be required reading for all pilots.

Scott Bell
PP ASEL
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 30 - 41
radfordc
July 16, 2013, 1:54am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from Bill Metcalf
You may have to defend this concept. People seem to get attached to their springs

Bill, what functional purpose does the turn around pulley and cable serve?  If you are flying with both feet on the pedals and that cable were to vanish does anything change?

My Sonex was built with springs on the rudder pedals to keep slack out of the rudder cables.  One day I noticed that the plane was flying out of trim in yaw.  One spring had broken...I removed the other spring and have flown it that way ever since.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 31 - 41
Harless Greear
July 16, 2013, 3:25am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 35 days 14 hours 19 minutes
I've read the stick and rudder book, that's mostly how I learned how to fly a trildrager.

I know about the adverse yaw and that's why we have a rudder..  Somewhere in this post someone said that they didn't use the rudder just the ailerons to turn...

I don't fly with my feet off the pedals but I,ve tried it just to see what it would do.  I wanted to know what to expect if I ever had a rudder cable failure. I think I could fly with one cable gone but with no rudder at all, there will be a crash..

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 32 - 41
Bill Metcalf
July 16, 2013, 9:24pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
Just for your info, had a brief flight this AM. Took my feet off the pedals and was able to do a shallow bank to the left, and bring her back to level again just with ailerons. Can't really answer Charlie's question with any authority, since I have always flown with the closed system, which I got from a Kitplanes article many moons ago (when I was young, good-looking, and very easily influenced). I will imagine one answer might be that with (or without) the springs, you must keep slack out of the system with pedal pressure. There is never any slack in mine and no forces to equalize. Then again, I might just be totally out of my mind. Either way...you still can't have my setup. Keep your springs to yourself. Besides, mine is much more sexy-looking and big-airplane like.
Site Private Message Reply: 33 - 41
tjspindler
July 16, 2013, 10:53pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 14 days 1 hours 55 minutes
Bill your not going to believe this but I have that issue of Kitplane and it came in the box of stuff that came with the Max I got this spring. I read that article and that's what made me start this thread!  No lie its the October 1990 issue and the article was about a young guy building a Fisher classic.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 34 - 41
radfordc
July 17, 2013, 3:47am Report to Moderator

Ace
In fact all rudder systems are "closed loop".  Imagine replacing the turnaround pulley/cable with something else that locks the rudder pedals together.  The "something else" are your legs....they do exactly the same thing that the cable does.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 35 - 41
Bill Metcalf
July 17, 2013, 1:54pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
"mechanically bound back to itself"

That works for me. If anyone thinks substituting body parts for mechanical parts results in the same thing, more power to you.

I refer to the parts that keep the cable from departing the pulley as "cable guards." You can find them in the Tony Bingeles books.

I hinted of this reaction at the very start. This thread has devolved into meaningless semantics. If no one else had ever done this I might think I was an experimental Looney-Toon. I'm taking my toys and going home.
Site Private Message Reply: 36 - 41
Bob Hoskins
July 17, 2013, 2:17pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi Bill;
I'm with you, LOL. Both systems work perfect. I like my springs, you like your cable, so be it. Question answered, LOL.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 37 - 41
tjspindler
July 17, 2013, 4:32pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 14 days 1 hours 55 minutes
TTT I will make it real simple.  Reach down and pull both your rudder peddles forward at the same time if you can do that its open and if you can't its closed.  But your more than welcomed to call it anything you want.  Guess you have never flown GA aircraft.

Tom

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 38 - 41
radfordc
July 17, 2013, 6:02pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Bill, you know I have a firm "keep it simple" policy when it comes to airplanes.  What's the chance that your cable will slip off the pulley and bind, or that the pulley will somehow fail?  Is it zero?

I guarantee that if there isn't a part it won't fail.  However, really weird things can happen to make a seemingly failure proof part go bad.  I was taxiing my Sonex out for takeoff and crossed over a steel plate that was covering a hole in the taxiway....just a tiny bump.  On takeoff I found that I couldn't control the rudder properly...it was jammed and would only move in one direction.  I managed to get back on the ground and found that the tailwheel bracket had been bent over the head of a bolt when I crossed the steel plate and had locked the rudder so that it could only go one way.

Quoted from Bill Metcalf
"mechanically bound back to itself"

That works for me. If anyone thinks substituting body parts for mechanical parts results in the same thing, more power to you.

I refer to the parts that keep the cable from departing the pulley as "cable guards." You can find them in the Tony Bingeles books.

I hinted of this reaction at the very start. This thread has devolved into meaningless semantics. If no one else had ever done this I might think I was an experimental Looney-Toon. I'm taking my toys and going home.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 39 - 41
terry warner
July 18, 2013, 11:35am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 4 hours 59 minutes
I guess I will add my two cents worth here. In GA aircraft all controls are closed loop, including the rudder, to help insure flutter does not occur or get started. Closed loop insures the cables remain in tension even if the pilot takes his or her feet off the petals. We fly homebuilts so we can do as we like and can allow our feet to do this job.

Terry
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 40 - 41
Keith103
April 5, 2018, 3:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Bill, I sent you a PM on this subject of closed loop rudder cable system.
Private Message Reply: 41 - 41
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment