Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Closed rudder control system Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Closed rudder control system  This thread currently has 1,283 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
tjspindler
July 11, 2013, 2:47pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 14 days 1 hours 55 minutes
What is the opinion of you (Oldtimers) for this (Noob) on using a closed rudder cable control system?  Do you feel it gives you better control of the rudder over the spring system?  Any pro's and con's?
I'm just funning you guys about the oldtimers do you remember that article  a couple months ago in the EAA  mag about hanger edict? It said your to throw out a insult when you enter the hanger.  It was a funny article.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message
Harless Greear
July 11, 2013, 4:18pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 35 days 14 hours 19 minutes
I don't think there is anything you can do to have better control of the rudder than what we already have..

There is no springs in the rudder control except the ones on the pedals and they only keep the pedal from falling backward and have nothing to do with rudder control..

I do have compression springs on my tailwheel..

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 41
tjspindler
July 11, 2013, 5:18pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Fyi a closed system is having no springs on the peddles but have a cable between the two and a cable pulley  to adjust cable tension.  Bill I think you did this if I remember?

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 41
Bill Metcalf
July 11, 2013, 5:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
You may have to defend this concept. People seem to get attached to their springs

Attachment: pedalbrkt_920.jpg
Size: 31.47 KB

Attachment: fuse2_8068.jpg
Size: 22.61 KB

Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 41
Willie T
July 11, 2013, 7:54pm Report to Moderator

In aircraft building, it is imperative that you...
Ace
Time Online: 29 days 1 hours 6 minutes
It's been my experience that many people do like a spring-centering system on both their stick and rudder.  I like to taxi-dance with the rudder pedals, but I do like a mild centering effect on the stick... in both directions.  Of course, if you have tabs or a wheel crank....

"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Bill Everett - (Willie T)
AirBike #3, St. Petersburg, FL
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 41
Bill Metcalf
July 11, 2013, 7:55pm Report to Moderator

Ace
See...Tole ya. Nobody believes it.
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 41
tjspindler
July 11, 2013, 8:10pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Its a question  that my friend that has built many planes and a AP asked me why is it a open system.  He just said that a closed system has better control without having to have as much pressure on both peddles.  I didn't have a answer for him so I asked.

Thanks for the input.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 41
PUFF
July 12, 2013, 11:50am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
What Harless Said..............

The "CLOSED SYSTEM'" is only something else that could go wrong and possibly cause a problem if it should get fouled..

Agreed, One less thing to break.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 41
tjspindler
July 12, 2013, 6:01pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Ya your right things can go wrong.  But I would hate to try to fly with full rudder if I loose a cable connection because a simple spring is pulling it.  Simple isn't always best.  

Just a little food for the mind.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 41
PUFF
July 12, 2013, 6:11pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
That's the beauty of it, the springs aren't absolutely necessary for flight...
They're only there to keep enough tension on the pedals to keep them upright while the pilot is not in the aircraft, or doesn't have his/her feet on them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 41
AC1600R
July 12, 2013, 10:43pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 21 days 8 hours 2 minutes
That is outstanding work TTT! I will be doing that in the future on mine for sure! Iv'e got to pull it all out to move the pedals forward anyway, so why not throw of few more hours in it now in order to have ease of service in the future... just makes since.

How difficult and pricey were those heel brakes? I really like them a lot and would like to do that on mine as well since it seems to be a straight forward set up. Do you mind me asking where you got the parts? Thanks for the help!

Sean Winship
Middle Tennessee
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 41
Bill Metcalf
July 13, 2013, 5:53am Report to Moderator

Ace
To be fair I should point out that my image does not show the cable guard that was added later to keep the cable from jumping the pulley. Those who have experienced the smoothness of a closed system are unlikely to want to return to anything less. As far as asymmetrical tension on the cables....never noticed it. Never thought about it. Maximum deflection of any control surface in a Max would be rare. After five years I have detected no noticeable wear on any part of the system, and it has never been a problem. There' not much complexity to a cable pulley and a two foot length of cable. It's just something else you have to monitor during inspections, primarily for pulley wear. Yes, it is more work than hanging a couple of springs. I'm not biased against springs. It's your choice.
Site Private Message Reply: 11 - 41
Harless Greear
July 13, 2013, 10:41am Report to Moderator

Ace
[quote=93]Maximum deflection of any control surface in a Max would be rare.

I find myself using maximum rudder control a lot because it operates  with the tailwheel..  and sometimes because I need all the rudder I can get, like during a gusty crosswind landing..

I also use maximum aileron deflection and maximum elevator deflection while taxiing in various windy situations..

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 41
Bill Metcalf
July 13, 2013, 4:44pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Harless Makes some good points, and I more properly should have said "in flight." Of course we do hit the limits during ground ops (except for the ailerons, which will only hit the limits if we could somehow get our legs out of the way). I fabricated my system from early on and have never used the springs. An analogy for how the closed system feels might be to imagine a couple of pulleys with a rubber ring stretched between them. You tug on the band and it just smoothly rotates around the pulleys. It's hard to describe it exactly...there's just no slack or floppiness with it all interconnected. No spring noise. I keep trying to wrap my head around how the pedals might move at different rates as the system pivots, but I can't quite visualize it. I think the system must self-equalize. I certainly have never noticed any jumpiness in it as it pivots. Building this system is not really much work. A few easily fabricated Aluminum and steel pieces. The most annoying task is fabricating the cable ends and adding clevises (or whatever your choice might be) for detaching the cables from the pedals. Again...it's your choice, but whatever you choose...you can't have mine!

Here it is with guards in place:

Attachment: forefuse_7973.jpg
Size: 35.36 KB

Site Private Message Reply: 13 - 41
lake_harley
July 13, 2013, 10:20pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from TreeTopsTom
Guess I can sort of imagine the difference. My guess on the differential pivot of the rudder (because of the horn shape) and corresponding (expected) difference in pedal travel is that the difference is taken up in the slack in the cable (either right or left side depending on which pedal you are stepping on). Since the difference is probably minimal & the cables are never (or not) supposed to be under any kind of high tension. Therefore, even if the closed loop cable & pulley portion of the system were adjusted (tight) with little to no slack, It would not stress the pulley or any other portion of the cables. Guess I will just leave the springs untill I run out of other things to do which I guess means I will most likely have the spring system forever.                            ttt  

I think, and it appears on the plans, that the cable attachment points on the rudder control horn and the rudder hinge are designed to be in the same plane, so there shouldn't be any differential in cable travel between the left and right cables. If the cable attachment points on the control horn were ahead or behind the rudder pivot then there would be potential for cables having slack and/or tight spots. That make sense?

Lynn

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 41
tjspindler
July 13, 2013, 11:34pm Report to Moderator
Ace
I should learn the we don't question the CREATOR in here!  Lol

Here is what I was told a aerospace engineer:  A open control system is ok if the cables don't change any directions.  If any pulleys or guides that change the direction the cable is is routed a closed system should be used.  

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 41
Harless Greear
July 14, 2013, 2:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I'd like to apolagize for stating things that were NOT true.. What Lynn posted was correct.. There is no difference in the movements of the rudder cables..

In my mind the rudder horn was angled to the rear but it's not.

I hope I'm forgiven and didn't offend anyone..

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 41
Bill Metcalf
July 14, 2013, 2:18pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Well Harless, you certainly demonstrated how easy it is to put doubt into everyone's minds! I, for one, am relieved. I was beginning to fear age had severely diminished my logical thought processes. I was beginning to envision the violent snapping of my cable while in flight. You guys can still keep your pitiful little springs.
Site Private Message Reply: 17 - 41
Harless Greear
July 14, 2013, 2:40pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from tjspindler
Ya your right things can go wrong.  But I would hate to try to fly with full rudder if I loose a cable connection because a simple spring is pulling it.  Simple isn't always best.  

Just a little food for the mind.

Tom

TJ, if you loose a cable connection, the spring will be the LEAST of your worries.

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 41
lake_harley
July 14, 2013, 4:58pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from Harless Greear
I'd like to apolagize for stating things that were NOT true.. What Lynn posted was correct.. There is no difference in the movements of the rudder cables..

In my mind the rudder horn was angled to the rear but it's not.

I hope I'm forgiven and didn't offend anyone..

Thanks Harless! I thought my geometry was correct. I'll give credit to my Sophmore High School Geometry teacher, Mr. Hilpert  

Lynn

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 41
tjspindler
July 14, 2013, 6:26pm Report to Moderator
Ace
On the contrary harless of all the controls  we have that's the one we need the least.  We have been told that we have to use that rudder all the time and for every thing we do.  The rudder just makes us look better making our maneuvers.  I have trained 80 or more people to fly rc aircraft and not a single person has used the rudder until after they have soloed.  Then I teach how to add rudder control for use in flight. Ground control is something different.  If I loose rudder control I would like it to just weather vain behind me not be pulled to one side because of a spring even ever so slightly.  Too many people thing the rudder makes the plane turn and that is what gets a lot of people in trouble.  If you think I'm full of BS read the book Stick and Rudder its a great read on the theory even if it was written in 1944.  It talks about the kind of flying we all do and love with our simple little airplanes.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 41
tjspindler
July 14, 2013, 9:44pm Report to Moderator
Ace
To tell you the truth I'm not pro or con of how we connect out rudders it was just a interesting question I had and by the the many responses here so did many others.  Thanks for the info!  Now I have to come up with the next question we all can hash out passionately!  Lol

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 41
Harless Greear
July 14, 2013, 11:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
My max is rudder plane and I use it totally when I'm taking pictures..   I've landed without ailerons when they froze up but I can't land withour a rudder.. My plane will not come out of a turn without using the rudder..

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 41
Harless Greear
July 15, 2013, 11:35am Report to Moderator

Ace
Tom, Don't you watach the news?? Zimmerman and I were both AQUITTED...

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 41
tjspindler
July 15, 2013, 4:55pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Damn crackers!!  Lol

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 41
srbell
July 15, 2013, 5:39pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 12 days 5 hours 32 minutes
Quoted from Harless Greear
My max is rudder plane and I use it totally when I'm taking pictures..   I've landed without ailerons when they froze up but I can't land withour a rudder.. My plane will not come out of a turn without using the rudder..

Harless, just for clarification, are you saying the ailerons alone won't roll the plane back level, or that it takes ailerons and rudder to roll out in a coordinated manor?  Having not yet flown a Max I'm just wondering if that's the normal and expected way it should work.  Either way this is good to know as I imagine I'd be more than a little concerned if I were making a first flight in a Max and the ailerons wouldn't roll me level.

Scott Bell
PP ASEL
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 41
Harless Greear
July 15, 2013, 9:34pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Tom, You just busted my bubble..

If I hold the rudder neutral and not move it, I can bank and come back to level but i'ts not pretty... It I let the rudder weathervane and bank the plane, It will not come back to  level with the ailerons, it only turns more the way the bank is..

I flew 2.2 hours today and when I landed I had a flat tire and had to be towed to the hangar..

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 41
tjspindler
July 15, 2013, 10:00pm Report to Moderator
Ace
You must have a lot of adverse yaw from your ailerons and that side slip kicks the rudder over when u let it weather vain.  Ya I understand whats happening.  Adverse yaw sucks if it wasn't for that we wouldn't that darn vertical flipper!!

Have you ever read Stick and Rudder?  I think its the best book for people who fly slow taildraggers.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 27 - 41
Bill Metcalf
July 15, 2013, 10:01pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Looks like you weren't acquitted after all
Site Private Message Reply: 28 - 41
tjspindler
July 15, 2013, 10:03pm Report to Moderator
Ace
That's too funny Bill!  And I don't even carry a gun.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 41
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment