Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Considering Building Again Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 6 Guests

Considering Building Again  This thread currently has 186 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
lake_harley
March 4, 2024, 11:32pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 1 hours 54 minutes
Time has a way of slipping away but about 10 or 12 years ago I built a MiniMAX 1100 with the lighter F1030 wings and tail. With the 277 Rotax I had the plane weighed 246# empty and I was very pleased with that. On a whim, a few months ago, I bought some really nice 1 X 6 Northern White Pine boards with nice, straight and tight grain, and a "starter" supply of birch and mahogany plywood. Lately I had considered a much-modified Watson Windwagon aluminum plane or a Hummel Ultracruiser. I had a strong start on a Ultracruiser years ago but ended up thinking I was going to get away from aviation and sold it.

Well, after a conversation with a good, pilot friend this morning I have once again thought of building another MiniMAX similar to what I built before, or perhaps a HiMAX which would be nice for cooler temps. In our conversation he reminded me of the simplicity of staying Part 103 ultralight legal and re-stated how he enjoyed flying my MiniMAX. He's a instructor and charter pilot but still has some basic roots and enthusiasm for low and slow aviation.

Those who might remember me will recall that I failed a FAA medical 45+ years ago so whatever I build will have to focus on light weight again to make Part 103 ultralight restrictions. I rather enjoyed the challenge the 1st time and would once again focus on building light on my 2nd go-around. This build will use a 2A042 surplus 2-cylinder 4-stroke engine which has been successfully used by a gentleman named Kevin who, if I remember correctly, is from West Virginia.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj0hdymXfOg   I incorporated some of his weight saving ideas in my first MiniMAX and would follow that recipe again to keep the weight to 254# or less. Not too sure I could do that on a HiMAX though.....that would be a serious challenge.

Anyway, the ETLB forum was a great help in completing my 1st MiniMAX and I'll try to post progress if I decide to pull the trigger on another MiniMAX. I'll have to dust off my wing rib jig, table saw and plans and buy some fresh T88 epoxy. The 12' worktable is still in place in my basement, but could probably use a re-leveling to make things come out right.

Is TEAM MiniMAX still open and operating? I have seen a couple posts expressing frustration and wonder if David is still open to supply a few proprietary things like control cables?

Lynn Winter
Logged Offline
Private Message
flydog
March 5, 2024, 9:35pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 37 minutes
You've got the wood, tools, and space.
Post an update tomorrow of what you got done on day one  : )
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
lake_harley
March 6, 2024, 1:57am Report to Moderator
Ace
Last evening, day/night 1, I spent about 2 hours cutting wing rib gussets. I think I have about 20-ish% of them done and have nice patterns for the gussets of all of the locations. Just about to get started again in a few minutes and will keep at it until it's bedtime.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
lake_harley
March 9, 2024, 10:31pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Finished up cutting all of the wing rib gussets last night. About 600 of them! I guess I work slow but I'm at about 9.5 hours now, but I trim off all of the "excess" material from the gussets. It's minor, but I'm watching for every ounce of weight savings I can find in building the parts.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
lake_harley
March 10, 2024, 3:10am Report to Moderator
Ace
I was fortunate enough to get contact info for Kevin who built a 2A042 powered MiniMAX as I referred to in my original post. I hope to contact him in the next few days to get his "recipe" for the 2A042/MiniMAX he built that was still within the weight restraints of Part 103 regulations. To me, this in HUGE!

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment