Print Topic - Archive

ETLB Squawk Forums  /  miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  /  Building Again
Posted by: lake_harley, March 4, 2024, 11:32pm
Time has a way of slipping away but about 10 or 12 years ago I built a MiniMAX 1100 with the lighter F1030 wings and tail. With the 277 Rotax I had the plane weighed 246# empty and I was very pleased with that. On a whim, a few months ago, I bought some really nice 1 X 6 Northern White Pine boards with nice, straight and tight grain, and a "starter" supply of birch and mahogany plywood. Lately I had considered a much-modified Watson Windwagon aluminum plane or a Hummel Ultracruiser. I had a strong start on a Ultracruiser years ago but ended up thinking I was going to get away from aviation and sold it. :-/

Well, after a conversation with a good, pilot friend this morning I have once again thought of building another MiniMAX similar to what I built before, or perhaps a HiMAX which would be nice for cooler temps. In our conversation he reminded me of the simplicity of staying Part 103 ultralight legal and re-stated how he enjoyed flying my MiniMAX. He's a instructor and charter pilot but still has some basic roots and enthusiasm for low and slow aviation.

Those who might remember me will recall that I failed a FAA medical 45+ years ago so whatever I build will have to focus on light weight again to make Part 103 ultralight restrictions. I rather enjoyed the challenge the 1st time and would once again focus on building light on my 2nd go-around. This build will use a 2A042 surplus 2-cylinder 4-stroke engine which has been successfully used by a gentleman named Kevin who, if I remember correctly, is from West Virginia.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj0hdymXfOg   I incorporated some of his weight saving ideas in my first MiniMAX and would follow that recipe again to keep the weight to 254# or less. Not too sure I could do that on a HiMAX though.....that would be a serious challenge.

Anyway, the ETLB forum was a great help in completing my 1st MiniMAX and I'll try to post progress if I decide to pull the trigger on another MiniMAX. I'll have to dust off my wing rib jig, table saw and plans and buy some fresh T88 epoxy. The 12' worktable is still in place in my basement, but could probably use a re-leveling to make things come out right.

Is TEAM MiniMAX still open and operating? I have seen a couple posts expressing frustration and wonder if David is still open to supply a few proprietary things like control cables?

Lynn Winter
Posted by: flydog, March 5, 2024, 9:35pm; Reply: 1
You've got the wood, tools, and space.
Post an update tomorrow of what you got done on day one  : )
Posted by: lake_harley, March 6, 2024, 1:57am; Reply: 2
Last evening, day/night 1, I spent about 2 hours cutting wing rib gussets. I think I have about 20-ish% of them done and have nice patterns for the gussets of all of the locations. Just about to get started again in a few minutes and will keep at it until it's bedtime.

Lynn
Posted by: lake_harley, March 9, 2024, 10:31pm; Reply: 3
Finished up cutting all of the wing rib gussets last night. About 600 of them! I guess I work slow but I'm at about 9.5 hours now, but I trim off all of the "excess" material from the gussets. It's minor, but I'm watching for every ounce of weight savings I can find in building the parts.

Lynn
Posted by: lake_harley, March 10, 2024, 3:10am; Reply: 4
I was fortunate enough to get contact info for Kevin who built a 2A042 powered MiniMAX as I referred to in my original post. I hope to contact him in the next few days to get his "recipe" for the 2A042/MiniMAX he built that was still within the weight restraints of Part 103 regulations. To me, this in HUGE!

Lynn
Posted by: lake_harley, May 6, 2024, 5:30pm; Reply: 5
Well. if I stop building ribs now the last one (24th) is curing in the jig providing I stick with going an ultralight build. Still somewhat considering going out on a limb to build a side-by-side 2 seat plane and then I'd probably need to build 4 more ribs.

Lynn
Posted by: flydog, May 6, 2024, 11:54pm; Reply: 6
Ahh just build 4 more. Mmmm Spare ribs!
Posted by: lake_harley, May 11, 2024, 2:29am; Reply: 7
I had a few minutes so got looking at my 4' X 12' work table and I'm pleased the lines to lay out the vertical stabilizer and rudder are faint, but still visible on the table top. I'll darken the lines a bit to see them more clearly. I did a quick check of dimensions so at least I don't have to lay it all out again.

Now I need to get some RS stock cut to sizes needed but leaving Monday on an 8 day vacation so work will resume as soon as I'm back.

Lynn
Print page generated: May 15, 2024, 6:28pm