Print Topic - Archive

ETLB Squawk Forums  /  Flying Stories  /  Where there is smoke, there is (gun)fire
Posted by: fiebichpv, October 7, 2008, 11:18pm

What do you get when mixing two aircraft smoke systems, a couple quarts of Super Dri smoke oil, and two 60+year-old pilots with evil minds flying AirBikes?

You get two "kids" having a blast smoking a private airfield into IFR conditions!  Around and around we went until all the ground pounders were coughing and reaching for their gas masks.  Bystanders couldn't see across the field let alone down its length.  Everyone froze in their tracks least they walk into a hangar or trip over someone who already had hit the deck.

Then the enemy showed up, A Myers Biplane, Hawk Pshaw, and a Fokker DR-1 Triplane!  Like stink on _ _ _ _ they pounced gaining on us with their superior speed and maneuverability.  We didn't want our tails chopped off (al-a-The Blue Max) so we hit the smoke switches and clouded the field completely blocking their view of us.  Once out of sight we sneaky AirBike pilots hid behind our own clouds then as our attackers climbed above the smoke into clear air we attacked them by diving out of the sun.  They never saw us coming and are now cowering in their field hangars with their crippled planes while licking their wounds and suffering from total personal embarrassment.

You don't mess with the AirBike Avengers!!

Are we having more fun than should be legal?

AirBike Ace & Doug Moler

(Top three photos taken by Sabrina Moler, bottom photo by the Field Marshal)
Posted by: flybob13, October 8, 2008, 12:43am; Reply: 1
Man oh man, Ace, some people never grow up  ;D Thank goodness!!!! You probably enjoy a good fart joke too! LOL  Keep up the patrols and keep those enemy planes at bay.
I love this stuf.
Flybob
Posted by: Bob Hoskins, October 8, 2008, 1:19am; Reply: 2
Atta boy Ace. Keep up the good work. LOL
Bob
Posted by: Avenger, October 8, 2008, 1:35am; Reply: 3
Ace you just aren't right .... but then I like that about you.  Thanks for the help at Selby airstrip I learned a lot.  Some of it was even useful.
Posted by: 715 (Guest), October 8, 2008, 1:58am; Reply: 4
I think you are having more fun then the law allows. The more pictures I see of you laying down a smoke screen, the more I think I will have to add an extra tank, and pump to the Hi-Max
Posted by: BlueMax, October 8, 2008, 2:11am; Reply: 5
Good job ace,
YOur pics confirm what I already thought, I NEED A SMOKE SYSTEM. I have a feeling that with my average cruise of 37mph I will need smoke to hide in!! Avenger was at selby? To bad I was out of town, I would have come out and demo'd the Legal Eagle.

Happy Flying
Chris
Posted by: MiniMaxMan, October 8, 2008, 3:58am; Reply: 6
Hey Guys,

I've been meaning to tell ya about my smoke system I just built from Airbike Ace's plans on his website. First of all, thanks paul for your simple easy-to-follow directions!!!

I got an old windshield washer tank from an old car, some hose, made a steel jet for the muffler, a couple wires, and a toggle switch. Rigged it all up, and I had one smokin' hot Challenger!  I used pure diesel, and it made plenty of smoke. Don't know what the EPA would say, but they would probably cough and pass out before they could write me up :P ;D

I'll try and get someone to take some photos when I fly again. Also, awesome pics Paul, looks like a complete blast!

M3
Posted by: Arthur Withy, October 8, 2008, 12:17pm; Reply: 7
Looks like alot of fun......This is the essence and foundation of our hobby.

Great work Ace

regards Arthur
Posted by: Avenger, October 8, 2008, 2:07pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from BlueMax
Good job ace,
I have a feeling that with my average cruise of 37mph I will need smoke to hide in!! Avenger was at selby? To bad I was out of town, I would have come out and demo'd the Legal Eagle.

Happy Flying
Chris

It was great got to watch a guy fly for 20 minutes and never get past a mile away, never saw an ultralight land backwards before but he was smiling from ear to ear.  If things go well I intend to spend a lot of time at Selby... or rather over it.
Posted by: flynlow, October 9, 2008, 3:54pm; Reply: 9
Hey M3, you say you used pure diesel and it made plenty of smoke, but what color was the smoke?  How long did it last?  Does anyone have any concerns about this?

I'm curious because I'm about to add a smoke system to my PPC and the smoke oil seems expensive, but it's pure white and lasts awhile in the air or on a low-level pass.

Jack

Quoted from MiniMaxMan
I used pure diesel, and it made plenty of smoke. Don't know what the EPA would say, but they would probably cough and pass out before they could write me up :P ;D
M3

Posted by: Charlie Harris, October 9, 2008, 7:30pm; Reply: 10
One good thing 3M, I'll bet there are no "mosquito" bombers to bite where You fly.
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 1:43am