Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Yet Another Hurdle Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Yet Another Hurdle  This thread currently has 252 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
ironnerd
August 30, 2023, 8:51pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hey all.
Looking for honest advise on my project.

I purchased my mostly complete 1700 Hi-Max, and have found that it has some issues.

When I got it into the hangar, I found that the plywood on the fuselage was delaminating (cockpit, root ribs, and longerons). I thought, "Darn... that sucks...". So I took all that bad plywood off, and I started sanding with my palm sander to remove the last layer of veneer/epoxy off the structure. As I was sanding, a glue joint on a diagonal brace popped lose. I thought, "Well, that's not cool," and continued sanding. Then another glue joint failed as I was sanding the cockpit structure. I also noticed that a few of the gussets in the aft fuselage looked a little off. I pushed on one, and it came apart under my thumb... so did a couple of others.

Honestly, if this were your project that you planned to fly, what would you do?
gangeli
August 30, 2023, 10:33pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 9 hours 10 minutes
Is there any record of what type of glue was used to build it?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
ironnerd
August 30, 2023, 11:51pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I could not find it in the build log.

E-mail Reply: 2 - 10
mullacharjak
September 1, 2023, 12:06pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

big hurdle.looks like deglue and reglue is the only option.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
ironnerd
September 3, 2023, 12:59am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Today I was showing a friend some glue joints and several just popped when I pushed on them. I saw as YouTube video that pointed towards cloudy T-88 as a possible culprit, so I'll be gracious to the previous builder and say he tried to use good glue, but got a bad batch.

Either way, I am pretty sure this closes out my Hi-Max experience.

If I have to effectively start over again on a whole new fuselage... and I don't trust the wings, it may be time to build something altogether different. My question now is do I 1) let wood and epoxy kick my ass and build an aluminum plane, 2) learn to weld and build a STF plane, 3) build a plane from Styrofoam and fiberglass, or 4) do I go every-so-slightly insane, and build a wood plane from the ground up?

Spolier... it'll be either 1) or 2).

OH! The wings, unlike the fuselage look really good. I sliced open the fabric on one (grown men wept) and poked around inside, and was surprised to find that it all looks really good, and was solid. Nothing at all like the fuselage.

► If anyone is near Cartersville, GA and wants my wings, gimme an IM, come check them out for yourself, and make me an offer.
Note: the ailerons are not available. They were damaged in transport.
E-mail Reply: 4 - 10
beragoobruce
September 4, 2023, 5:01am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Oh dear. The end of a long & troubled road. Like you, I wouldn't trust this build to fly. Bite the bullet & ditch it.

There's probably more choice of airframes made with welded steel if you don't want to use wood.  Welding is not difficult, but like everything else needs lots of practice to get really good at it. MIG or induction stick welding are relatively low cost (for the equipment). TIG welding better, but more expensive. Gas welding good but very slow.

Hope you have better luck with your next project.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
PoconoJohn
September 4, 2023, 1:32pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 18 minutes
Sorry to hear about your experience. I really think you should give a wooden aircraft a try. Wood is easy to work with and not expensive if you make a mistake. As far as welding, I took the EAA welding course. I returned home and tried to practice, realizing that I had no way of knowing if my welds were good AND using up valuable build time. Bottom line, I have a professional welder come and take care of those parts (a different wood plane Im building). Well worth the money and peace of mind. I'd rather be building instead of practicing welding and still wondering if I'm doing it correctly. Is there a EAA Chapter near you that can help?

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
ironnerd
September 4, 2023, 7:11pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
@PoconoJohn
I think the next project will be wood. I just don't know what it'll be yet.

It's not that big of a kick in the junk. I have spent <2k USD, and I have instruments and an overhauled engine.
E-mail Reply: 7 - 10
PoconoJohn
September 5, 2023, 1:38am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 18 minutes
Good luck!

John
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
timyandow
September 6, 2023, 2:41am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 28 minutes
A t88 joint is supposed to be stronger than the wood. Meaning, if you try to break the joint the surrounding wood usually goes first. Did he stain the wood before applying epoxy? Are you sure it's T88?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
ironnerd
September 6, 2023, 8:21pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
It is probably not T-88.

Did he paint/varnish/stain it before gluing... I'm not sure. But the principal at my kid's school said he was interested in it as a decoration piece, so that's where it's going.

Ya'll enjoy your Maxes. Fly safe and be excellent. I am off to ponder my options.
E-mail Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment