Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Wing diagonal and compression piece Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Wing diagonal and compression piece  This thread currently has 225 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
PoconoJohn
August 22, 2023, 1:43am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 18 minutes
I'm trying to figure out the placement of RS8 and RS11 in the outboard wing area (diagonals) where they meet at the forward spar. The enlarged view makes it appear the RS8 is placed laying flat so it's 3/4" across (horizontal), but I think RS8 should go in on it's edge or 5/8" across (horizontal) and 3/4" vertical. If it's placed so the 3/4" surface is vertical, then it'll match up with the RS11 which is also 3/4" thick.

Also, I can't figure out how both RS11 gusset's are placed. I think one piece is glued to top of the RS-9-SC and to the RS8 diagonal, but the other gusset has vey little RS9 surface there, so I'm wondering if it glues to the bottom of the lower compression piece.

In the compression piece image, I'm not sure what the filled in box is and what the area next to it is. Perhaps the RS8 and RS11 pieces?

Thank you!

John C

Attachment: rs8diagonalsm_1415.jpg
Size: 45.03 KB

Attachment: compresssm_6554.jpg
Size: 44.20 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
mullacharjak
August 22, 2023, 12:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
   ..this is how I see it.the red portion on one plane.the green glues on top of the red which is one unit.

Attachment: x_7975.jpg
Size: 30.23 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
PoconoJohn
August 22, 2023, 6:50pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
OK, thanks. I'm going to place the RS8 so it's 3/4" vertical and place the RS11 on both sides. That all glues together and to the RS9SC. Then, I'll glue the bottom of the compression piece to the RS11 that it'll rest on (and part of the RS.

The lower image I sent still isn't clear to me as fat as that lower left area.

Guess it'll make sense after it's built

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
mullacharjak
August 23, 2023, 10:07am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
  another option could be but not mentioned in the drawings to use rs10 filler block and rs8 compression member on ots side to give a flat upper surface.
It does look like some liberty can be taken.the same has been done on EROS diagonal rs9 member where it is advised to shave or notch the end to match the rs10 filler block.another scenario could be to leave as is in which case the compression member wont be touching or glued to the rs8 diagonal member on its side.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
gangeli
August 27, 2023, 9:21am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 9 hours 10 minutes
This is my interpretation, I positioned the RS-8 with the 3/4 side vertical to match the thickness of the RS11 triangular pieces.

Attachment: wingcrossbracingdetail_794.jpg
Size: 114.46 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
PoconoJohn
August 28, 2023, 2:19pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Thanks! That's just what I'll be doing today. It's great to see this taking shape.

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
PoconoJohn
September 22, 2023, 11:58pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Spent a lot of time looking at the plans and trying to understand this part. The RS 8 diagonal anti-drag is 3/4" horizontal and 5/8" vertical (specifically shown on the plans). The RS11 blocks will glue against the diagonal and the spar cap upper surface/plywood and the vertical member in that corner. The RS7 compression member rests on top of RS11. There will be a gap at RS8 top as RS11's are 3/4" and RS8 is 5/8", but apparently that's OK.

As far as the bottom image I posted, I figured out the compression member rests on the top surface of the lower cap of aft spar, and at forward spar will rest on the diagonal which is the hashed box I pointed out. The plans were clear but that part of the compression drawing confused me.

I'm now working on the fuel tank supports. I had some questions but I think I figured it out.

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment