Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Elevator Control Horn Clash Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Elevator Control Horn Clash  This thread currently has 132 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
gangeli
May 30, 2023, 4:38am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 9 hours 10 minutes
I've built my air-frame per plans and all the dimensions check, but I just realized that the elevator control horn clashes with the top of the fuselage tail when the elevator is deflected down.  In the plans that does not appear to be the case because the gap between the horiz. stabilizer and the elevator is shown larger that it actually is (drawing extract attached).  I went to see the only existing Minimax that I have access to and I see that the builder had the same problem and solved it by notching the plywood at the back and the top RS-0 timber block (photo attached).  Has anyone else run in to this problem? How did you go about it?  The other solution that I can think of to avoid cutting into the structure is to modify the shape of the RS-201 horn.  I will post a drawing showing what I mean in the following entry to this thread.

Attachment: img_4508_resampled_8589.jpg
Size: 172.42 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
gangeli
May 30, 2023, 4:40am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
drawing of modified elevator horn to avoid the clash. Does any one see something wrong with doing this?

Attachment: modifiedelevcontrolhorn_5542.jpg
Size: 143.30 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
gangeli
May 30, 2023, 4:44am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
this is the extract from the plans that I tried to attach to the 1st post, showing a gap between horiz. stab and elevator larger than the nominal 3/8".

Attachment: drwg13extract2_9418.jpg
Size: 248.77 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment