Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Open or enclosed canopy. One fuel tank or two. Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Open or enclosed canopy. One fuel tank or two.  This thread currently has 211 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
PoconoJohn
April 4, 2023, 3:58pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 18 minutes
Any thoughts regarding canopy? I'm in PA, so leaning to enclosed, but the open cockpit would so be nice in summer, which is when most flying occurs. Is the enclosed canopy a little claustrophobic?

I'm wondering about fuel tanks. One doesn't give much flying time when allowing for a reserve. I'm wondering about the obstacles plumbing a second tank as well as the weight of that additional fuel.

Thanks!

John C
Kids Building Planes
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
beragoobruce
April 5, 2023, 12:30am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Why not make both open & closed? I did.  I also fitted two wing tanks with no fuse tank. Used a simple L or R selector cock. Also fitted .sight glass' section of clear tubing in the cockpit to use as a fuel gauge.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
PoconoJohn
April 5, 2023, 2:12pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
So the enclosed canopy comes apart? That roof piece and everything else? Or, is the lower canopy always there and just the top can come off? I'm building EROS. For fuel, it's a left wing tank. I thought about Cub or Champ set-up with metal rod on a float for fuel level indicator.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
beragoobruce
April 7, 2023, 1:15am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
No, the enclosed canopy doesn't come apart.

I built the enclosed canopy along the lines as per drawings (I made a one-piece screen to avoid the ally joiner strips - see pic).
Then I unscrewed that at the long lateral hinge, & built a 2nd open canopy, using the same lateral hinge to attach it. The open canopy hinged just like the one piece canopy.

Attachment: 1piece_canopy_577_4065.jpg
Size: 269.03 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
PoconoJohn
April 7, 2023, 2:35am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Thank you for that info and photo. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Open or enclosed canopy. One fuel tank or two.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment