Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  understanding the inventory pages Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

understanding the inventory pages  This thread currently has 177 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
PoconoJohn
March 26, 2023, 6:37pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 18 minutes
One page has a list of parts (RS3, RS4, RS5, etc) and the total lengths used on the indicated pages; then a total at the far right column and number of pieces. I understand that.

Another page (in back) describes the dimensions of the pieces. This page lists the parts as RS-5 and also RS-5-48, RS-5-63 for the length. I understand that.

If that first page says there are four pieces of RS6, which are 142" each on the back page, then what about the piece listed as RS-6-36 on the back page? Lot's of parts on that back page have a -36, -48, etc., but not on the parts page.

Thank you.

Attachment: m3710019_3275.jpg
Size: 54.57 KB

Attachment: m3710020_3150.jpg
Size: 32.31 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
gangeli
March 27, 2023, 4:40am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 9 hours 10 minutes
The 'Reference Sheet' lists all the rough stock.  The leghts indicates here are the lenghts of rough material supplied with the kit.  For example with reference to the imaages you posted thr RS-4 should come in  a number of 142" long pieces plus one 26" long piece.
The 'Material List' on the other hand indicate the lengths required at each stage of the build, with reference to the drawings. For example you will need 328" of RS-4 at drawing 1, 64" of at drawing 3, 5" at drawing 5 and so forth.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
PoconoJohn
March 27, 2023, 1:46pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Thanks! What's throwing me off is I received multiples of shorter pieces. For example, I have two RS-9-60's which are for the aft spars. So when ordering the lumber, I'm trying to figure out if I can get shorter lengths to fit in my car (or reduce shipping costs). So, I'm not sure how many 142" pieces I really need, if any. I can get an idea looking at the plans. I understand there's probably less waste with longer lengths which is why those are listed.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
Keith103
March 31, 2023, 7:51pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Ideally you require 8 lengths of RS-9 SC, each of 142 inches length, for the spar caps.

Each of these 12 feet lengths is listed at about $ 40.20 plus shipping, at Aircraft Spruce. Shipping will be expensive as these may have to be shipped as UPS "freight", as such a long package will be oversize for regular UPS package-shipping. Should be same for Fedex ground too.

The RS-9 60 inch pieces you have in the kit may be the spar-cap doublers at strut attachment points (?)

I have wondered why not scarf-join two shorter lengths of RS-9 of 6 feet each, with the scarf joint placed at the center of the location where the spar-cap doubler attaches to the spar-cap.  The doubler will reinforce the scarf joint, ( though the primary purpose of the doubler is to support additional strut attachment load.)

Maybe this is not a good idea, as someone with knowledge of structures can explain.

But again, if your plan calls for doublers only some spar caps, and not others, then you still need full 12 feet lengths for some spar caps, unless you plan to use scarf joint midway on the spar-cap even without a doubler being present. ( I think the V-Max has doublers on all 8 spar caps. Max 103 has just one doubler under the top spar cap of rear spar. )

Cost of spar caps and cost of shipping these, are usually a major bump in the supply/cost-chain for builders.

Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
PoconoJohn
April 1, 2023, 8:56pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Thanks Keith. I was wondering on how to check inventory when a kit arrives. The first image I have there is a page that shows total pieces (and length) on the far right, but as the second image shows, there's different length's of RS5 for example.

Shipping is a pain and so are prices in general. I just found a fantastic supply of Spruce two and a half hours away. I paid about $107 for four board about 8' long up to six inches wide and 1" thick (which they planed down to almost 3/4" for me). If I ordered this online, shipping alone would have been close to $100. One small piece used in the aft spars, RS23, would cost $65 each at AS&S, plus shipping. My order would have been several hundreds of dollars.

Have to look around for these places. Try searching for suppliers of wood for musicians and those making musical instruments.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment