Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Azusa wheel question Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Azusa wheel question  This thread currently has 198 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
gangeli
January 24, 2023, 6:20am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 9 hours 10 minutes
I'm having some problem with a set of Azusa wheels that I received in my  incomplete kit from Team Minimax and I wander if anyone has had similar experience end can help me.  I've assembled the wheels, but when I tighten the three bolts, the two half rims come together with the two bearings not perfectly aligned, so that the wheel does not slide onto the axle.  If I loosen the bolts I can install the wheels on the axle, but then when I tighten the bolts the wheels do not rotate. Any suggestion?

Attachment: img_3823_resampled_1164.jpg
Size: 449.54 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
PUFF
January 24, 2023, 12:20pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
have you tried switching wheel halves? another idea would be to rotate one of the wheel halves 120 degrees, then 270 if that doesn't work. I had the plastic ones.  of course being careful you don't pinch the tube. I always thought these things should have been made as a single piece.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
gangeli
January 25, 2023, 8:50am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
I can't rotate one half rim against the other because they both have a notch for the inner tube valve stem.  I thought about switching wheel halves and I will try that, we'll see if it makes a difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
mullacharjak
January 25, 2023, 10:47am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
Maybe mounting an appropriate size shaft in a lathe and lapping the assembled wheel would work.Are the bronze bushings bored correctly? is the axle straight?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
gangeli
January 25, 2023, 11:13am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Quoted from mullacharjak
Maybe mounting an appropriate size shaft in a lathe and lapping the assembled wheel would work.Are the bronze bushings bored correctly? is the axle straight?

The axle is straight and the bronze bushing have the correct inside diameter, they just end up slightly misaligned when I bring the two halves of the rim together and tighten the bolts.  I do not have a lathe and I am not sure what lapping on a lathe means.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
Greg Doe
January 25, 2023, 5:18pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Look for any aluminum slag, and or bumps that are preventing the wheel halves from properly "seating" to one another.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
beragoobruce
January 26, 2023, 2:48am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Drill the holes in the wheel half slightly oversize. Assemble wheel + bushing, then tighten wheel bolts.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
gangeli
January 26, 2023, 12:09pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Quoted from beragoobruce
Drill the holes in the wheel half slightly oversize. Assemble wheel + bushing, then tighten wheel bolts.

You mean the bolt holes, right?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
beragoobruce
January 27, 2023, 12:12am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
That's right. A slightly oversize bolt hole (one side only) should provide enough wiggle room for the bush bore to align.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment