Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  HiMAX Construction Photos Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

HiMAX Construction Photos  This thread currently has 447 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
lake_harley
October 13, 2022, 5:36pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Still in "thinking mode" about building another plane. I previously scratch built a 1100 from plans but sold it a few years ago. Getting the building itch again and near, or at the top of the list is a HiMAX. I have the conversion plan sheets numbered 7, 8, 8, and 10 from TEAM that show the construction of the cabin area (is cabane the proper term?), but some photos of a HiMAX under construction would probably help to bring the plans to life. I have spent a fair amount of time looking at the plans and trying to visualize how everthing fits together but a few photos would really be a help.

Probably 2nd on the list is the 1030. Obviously quite similar to the 1100 I built but with the turtledeck and different windscreen it appears a bit more "refined" and less "boxy" looking looking than the 1100.

In either case I'd look forward to a good Winter project rather than watching TV. I spent about 1000 hours on my 1100 scratch build and think having that experience I could almost cut that in half building a second time.

Thanks, in advance, if you have any HiMAX photos or tips on building one.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message
PUFF
October 14, 2022, 11:00am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
There are several build threads here and I think one on youtube.
try a search for "Himax build", or variations thereof.
make sure your search is for 90 days and older in the search function.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 16
lake_harley
October 14, 2022, 12:53pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Thanks, PUFF. I've done some searching but I'll do some more.

I'm surprised how quiet it is on this forum. It was quite busy when I built my MiniMAX about 6 or 8 years ago. I did see that there's a Facebook group going but this forum was such a good place to find info and get input. I know ETLB got me out of a brain lockup many times during my build. Do you think building is down overall or did everyone just go somewhere else?

Thanks

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 16
flydog
October 14, 2022, 8:08pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
I follow the Facebook groups. Nothing going on there either. My WAG is home building has usually, but not always, been an older crowd. I fear they have aged out and no young-uns to replace them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 16
beragoobruce
October 14, 2022, 9:30pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Guess they'd rather buy plastic fantastics. Their loss.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 16
lake_harley
October 14, 2022, 10:43pm Report to Moderator
Ace
It seems a shame. Not too many years ago the ETLB site was pretty active. Even got to read a few heated "discussions" from time to time. I generally avoided getting involved but sometime the temptation to "poke the bear" was too great to resist.  

Thanks for the replies. At least I know someone else is still around.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 16
RedBird
October 15, 2022, 11:16pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
For what its worth, I have been mostly absent for past several years; but I really enjoyed this site for over a decade. Like many others, life has take so many twists and turns that my projects have mostly gathered dust. BUT, I think I am in a pretty stable place now; and just trailered my wood shop tools to my place a month ago. If all goes to plan, will resurrect my High Wing Eros project by Christmas, and add one occasional voice w questions in 2023.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 16
flydog
October 16, 2022, 1:02pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
I still visit the site every day, sort of habit. Feels like friends or family here. Always amazed me how we all got along with out the drama or trolling that goes on on almost any other forum/chat room. Sure a couple whack-o's came and went,and a couple even got banned, but overall a real good group.

RedBird, so where did you finally land, for now?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 16
PUFF
October 17, 2022, 10:51am Report to Moderator

Ace
I'm still floating around. Birdless at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 16
lake_harley
October 18, 2022, 3:16am Report to Moderator
Ace
I guess after this evening I'm probably 90% committed to building again. HiMAX or 1030 style not yet decided. When I built my 1100 I almost used a 2A042 engine but backed out and went 277 Rotax. This evening I pretty much "bought" an '042 on the phone with hopes of picking it up next week.

Just like the last build, I'll focus on building in no excess weight, and lightening parts as long as it doesn't compromise safety. I know it's going to take extra time but once again I'll be determined to beat the 254# Part 103 regulation. I was under it last time by 8#. To make 254# with the '042 I'll have to find another 4 or 5# savings, and I think some of that can come off the engine itself. I'd love the comfort of the HiMAX enclosed cabin but with my engine of choice it would be a BIG challenge to get under 254#. That would lead to the strong probability I'll end up going to the 1030 "style" with many bones of an 1100.

We'll see what happens. I'm currently building a front engine dragster and want to get it finished before I get too involved with another project.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 16
PUFF
October 18, 2022, 12:15pm Report to Moderator

Ace
please include as many details about the lightening and build of the 042 as you can when you do....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 16
lake_harley
October 18, 2022, 5:47pm Report to Moderator
Ace
I'll try to give updates along the way.

One thing I'm curious about is the wing spar and the compression and anti drag strut construction. On my 1100 I talked with David at TEAM who gave the OK to use the lighter 1030 wing methods and materials on my 1100. I did add to the anti drag struts a 4th, light strut between bays 7 & 8 which is not shown in the 1030 wing plan. I would like to use the same wing layout as before but wondered if if beefed up spars and compression and anti-drag strut sizing is based more on empty/gross weight of the plane or the speeds expected because of engine HP? My guess is "both", but I'd like to hear some input from the structural standpoint from someone with much more engineering insight than I could even hope to have. FWIW, although the 2A042 engine I plan to use outweighs a 277 Rotax  I had on my 1100/1030 hybrid by 11 to 15# (Hopefully less difference if I can put it on a diet), but it's HP is down by ~4 HP from the 277. I can't see that it's cruise could possibly even match that of the 277 Rotax. How does that play with wing construction methods and material?

Thanks, in advance.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 16
cdlwingnut
October 18, 2022, 11:56pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
good to see you back Lake I hope you build again and you do a build log for us to see.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 16
Bob Daly
October 21, 2022, 3:44pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Quoted from lake_harley

One thing I'm curious about is the wing spar and the compression and anti drag strut construction. On my 1100 I talked with David at TEAM who gave the OK to use the lighter 1030 wing methods and materials on my 1100. I did add to the anti drag struts a 4th, light strut between bays 7 & 8 which is not shown in the 1030 wing plan. I would like to use the same wing layout as before but wondered if if beefed up spars and compression and anti-drag strut sizing is based more on empty/gross weight of the plane or the speeds expected because of engine HP? My guess is "both", but I'd like to hear some input from the structural standpoint from someone with much more engineering insight than I could even hope to have. FWIW, although the 2A042 engine I plan to use outweighs a 277 Rotax  I had on my 1100/1030 hybrid by 11 to 15# (Hopefully less difference if I can put it on a diet), but it's HP is down by ~4 HP from the 277. I can't see that it's cruise could possibly even match that of the 277 Rotax. How does that play with wing construction methods and material?

Study the TEAM structural analysis (http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/blahdocs/uploads/minimaxstressanalysis_7196.pdf).  Pay attention to the bending moment diagrams and drag truss result.  The shear diagrams will follow the bending moment shape.  These might suggest that the spar caps and webs could be reduced toward the wing tip.  And the outer-most drag diagonal is oversized. Be very careful with reducing the stiffness of the outboard wing section, flutter becomes a concern.  One might even reduce the spar depths outboard of the strut attachment but that means making different ribs for those sections.  And any of these changes will make handling during rigging and ground movement more delicate.  You might reduce wing weight by a pound or even two but I'm not sure it's worth it.
Private Message Reply: 13 - 16
RedBird
October 21, 2022, 9:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Quoted from flydog
RedBird, so where did you finally land, for now?

I live in Furnace Creek, CA now... Its warm here .  But I have a little space I can use as a workshop, so am optimistic about re-engaging with build...

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 16
lake_harley
October 22, 2022, 9:38pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Thanks for the reminder about the stress analysis Bob. I took a look at it again but will need some time to try to absorb what it might mean in terms of areas to look for weight savings. I know in the past many said to not be all that concerned about weight, but in my mind light is better. Reducing the weight of a part by even a measly 5% might seem like a waste of time to some (I see the challenge), but do that enough times and it starts to add up.

Just curious, and thinking W-A-Y ahead, but does anyone here do photoshop stuff? I have a paint color in mind and wonder if it could be magically applied to a sample photo of a MiniMAX 1030? I could post the photo and color chart link here or send the info via e-mail.

Thanks.

Lynn
winter62@att.net
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 16
mullacharjak
October 23, 2022, 7:09pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

an old clip from the internet.https://youtu.be/cj0hdymXfOg
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 16