Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Some Old threads Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Some Old threads   This thread currently has 301 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Keith103
September 5, 2022, 2:52pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Quoted from tdweide
Has anyone on here seen or used half span aileron similar to legal eagle?

Quoted from Jimwing
I built my second minimax with half span ailerons and loved it. Harmony in the controls was much better.  I used a 1 1/4 inch aluminum tube that went from the  inboard aileron rib to the root rib with a horn on it so that all controls were exactly the same,  minus half the aileron.

View conversation at :

http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1569954214/s-11/highlight-aileron/#num11
Private Message
Keith103
September 10, 2022, 2:22am Report to Moderator

Ace
What Wind speeds that you can fly in?

Quoted from Larry

Experience has a lot to do with what kind of wind you can fly in. Don't rush to find out, get some time in and get comfortable with your MAX.
Gusty winds make it most uncomfortable, and a lot harder to land. If the weather changes while your out flying(which it can) you may find out before your ready.
Always be mindful of the current conditions and what might be coming your way.
Late afternoon and evening flights have a less likely chance of weather changes for the worse. Mornings, if you do them early before the air warms and winds pick up are good.
Be careful also of tight turns close to the ground in windy conditions. Even though the MAX has a lot of aileron its light and can get you in lots of trouble close to the ground. Its not just the miniMAX that this can happen with. We had an accident in Iowa a few years back where an ultralight crashed in windy conditions as it went behind a tree line. Things like trees and buildings close to your runway can make for some interesting landings when the wind is blowing from their direction, so be prepared.

Its suppose to be fun, so any condition that causes it not to be fun for you should be reason not to fly that day.
Get to know your miniMAX and have fun.
Larry

Full thread:
http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1380168655/s-0/
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
Keith103
September 17, 2022, 7:42pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from AC1600R
Hello Fellow Buzzards, I am planning a 670 statute mile trip from middle Tennessee to the AOPA fly-in at the end of October in Tampa, FL. This will be the longest cross country I have ever done, let alone in the MiniMax! So, I could certainly use some guidance from those more experienced than me.

Thus far I know to essentially break up the cross country into smaller, daily, cross country trips. I will be using pilotage and dead reckoning and will have my iPad mini and iPhone rolling gps as needed. I will be carrying enough oil for a 1000 mile trip and am shipping a gallon of oil to family in Tampa. I will have the usual couple changes of clothes and lodging arrangements made in advance. I am also currently sewing a cockpit and engine cover in case of heavy rains while grounded (drain grommets throughout are in good shape too). I will have tie downs and chalks and a GoPro shooting film frequently.

Would you mind sharing your wisdom and suggestions with me?

If it helps, here are some details specific to my MiniMax. I have a wing tank (6 gallons) and a fuse tank (5.3 gallons). I have a handheld radio that I am told performs just as well as certified GA aircraft. I have Foreflight on my iPad mini in the cockpit and on my iPhone as a backup.

I have a Rotax 447 and have no mechanical concerns whatsoever. I have storage behind the seat and storage behind that which I have done full weight and balance sheets and can carry up to 45 pounds of baggage (though I don't intend to carry that much stuff).

Many Thanks,

- Sean

Some replies:

+++++++++++++
by  fiebichpv:

A couple of things come to mind as I read your trip description, these are in addition to all plane and engine preps, navigation aids, and pre-planning your airport stops. 1) Carry a basic tool kit that includes a spark plug wrench and some safety wire, 2) Spare brand new spark plugs and a fuel filter, 3) File a flight plan for EVERY leg of your flight via 1 800 WX BRIEF, 4) One water bottle refilled at each fuel stop.

++++++++++++
by  Max SSDR

2 more things to consider; take drinking water, it's easy to forget to hydrate yourself AND remember you too have a finite (bladder) duration!

I flew a Taylorcraft from the UK to North Africa, over 2000 miles, I can tell you a thing or two about bladder range 😆

I agree with flying shorter days! I flew 8 hours one day (not all in one go!) and when I landed I had the mother of all headaches through dehydration and I was utterly exhausted fighting turbulence and wind. It's meant to be fun so set yourself a limit that lets you settle down to a beer in the evening and a chance to think about your day!

More relevant, my ferry flight home in my new Minimax was only 188nm but allowing for fuel stops, the 3.1 hrs flying actually took me nearly six hours because of issues getting fuel at one stop etc. I guess you are looking at 2 - 3 days?

++++++++++++

By The Termite:

If you plan on landing at some really small airports that list themselves as having fuel,  it is a very good idea to call a few days beforehand to double check on fuel availability, and if their pumps are actually working.

Another good idea is to carry a Mr Funnel along. http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

A fellow pilot friend had a bad experience with contaminated fuel, caused by a pump hose at a small airport. The hose was breaking down inside, and rubber particles nearly stopped up the screen on his Piper Cub's gascolator.  The engine didn't quit, but it did lose power.  He limped along at reduced speed until he was able to land at another airport.
He now carries a Mr Funnel in his Cub anytime he takes a cross country trip.

++++++++++++++++

by BruceGerman

I have kept myself from being tempted to overload my aircraft by loading a cardboard box with clothes and UPS it to my destination. That way I have fresh clothes there and clean clothes for the return. UPS dirty clothes back home the same way.
Take some great pictures!

Bruce
++++++++++++++++++

by Bert:

Just a caution: pre-arranged overnight accommodations can create pressure to get to the next planned stop, even though you have encountered a 30 mph head wind along that leg. The only solution that I can come up with is to plan flying days shorter than daylight days. "Get Home Itus" (or is it Itis?) is a sneaky thing, and has contributed to the deaths of a lot of experienced airplanes, especially if they belonged to doctors or lawyers.

++++++++++++++++++

https://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1494555365/s-8/highlight-landing/
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
beragoobruce
September 18, 2022, 3:48am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Interesting posts.

Did you make the flight? How did it go?

I admire your ambition.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
Keith103
September 18, 2022, 7:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Yes, Bruce, the archives have a huge trove of useful information. Just trying to figure out how best to access / harness all of that information through serial-running threads like this. This process may also help drive some badly needed activity.

Yes I have flown my Max. It flies very stable and handles very well.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
Keith103
September 24, 2022, 1:50am Report to Moderator

Ace
Landing strip maximum altitude acceptable for a Mini-Max, and runway length required at altitude.

Quoted from Wyoguy

I bought Bob Hoskins Hi Max, which has the 50 HP Hirth engine.  

I am wondering about Max fliers who live at higher altitudes and what kind of performance they get?  I will be flying from 4,000' to 6,000'.  My landing strip will be at 5,400', but this range of altitudes will represent where I will be going within 50 miles of where I live.  

The airstrip I plan to use will be around 700' with a 4' fence to clear at one end.  

Are any of you flying at these altitudes or higher?  If you are, what type of performance do you get?  I know my plane is different than yours, but I am wondering what your plane will do, which motor etc.?  Take off distances, temperature restrictions etc.    Any information, thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated!  

Thanks,

Dennis

Quoted from Kevin

I started flying out of  http://goo.gl/maps/qjUAx
elevation 5600 ft.

I have a fat MiniMax, Rotax 503 DCDI/
take off 100 to150 ft,
40 foot power line at 800 feet that I clear by 100 feet or so.  

My Max is not a 172 and doesn't like 35 knot cross winds.

I put over 100 hours on a 172B station-wagon flying out of that airport. There is a huge difference from the Minimax to the station-wagon. At that air port it was always a 3 second take-off for the Max.

Rotax 503 + B Gear box + Warp Drive 2 blade = rocket, until you back-off the throttle then the Minimax becomes a big box falling. Power off landing in the station-wagon were from a mile up and 6 miles away. In the Minimax, you better be close to the runway when you throttle back, because your going to be diving at the touch down point!  Anybody ever calculate "best glide angle" at power off for a minimax? I've seen 1/6 ratio but it seemed more like 6/1, Station-Wagon 1/10 for reference.

Quoted from pkoszegi
Dennis,
My 2702 Himax (40HP) takes off from 2500 ft AMSL, its not that high, but 900ft runway without  40 ft obstacle is a must. Give more space to yourself no matter what.  With 700 feet is just about right with a lots of practice, but absolutely no room for error. You would hate to do go arounds in difficult condition. No wind or slight tailwind can ruin your day , aircraft and fence.

I would not do REGULAR fly offs from grass which are shorter than 900 ft without obstacles.  Once or twice its OK but for regular touch and goes its just an accident waiting to happen.

Peter

Quoted from Bill Metcalf
A 700' runway should not cause any problems theoretically, if every takeoff and landing is perfect, especially the takeoff. That tiny runway is going to look like a carrier deck though, when it comes time to land. You will vary your ground speed depending upon conditions. Landing in a 15 Kt. crosswind, or very gusty conditions will have you wanting to keep your approach speed a good 10 MPH above normal to allow for sudden changes in the surface wind gradient. In that case you are going to run out of runway very quickly. Don't think you won't have to land in a crosswind like that. It's not unusual to get a few miles from the field and discover the wind has taken a scary (for a Minimax) turn. In a bird like a max you are going to want to eventually have the necessary skill to get it down in such conditions, as you may have little other choice besides someone's pasture. I got caught out one day in gusts to 27 kts. I got it down in one piece, but the pucker factor was not something I wanted to experience again any time soon. In other words...it's probably do-able...but maybe not so wise. when taking your first test flights, a 700' strip is likely to be one of the scariest things you've ever seen!

In terms of performance...you worry too much. stop comparing yourself to factory airplanes. A 50 HP Max that is not too overweight will outclimb any small Cessna, even at your altitude on a hot day. They are just likely to be going much faster than you. Your power-to-weight ratio is going to exceed that of many factory birds. With a density day of 9000' I am getting 400-600 FPM climbout on 50 HP when Cessna 140's and 150's are lucky to get 200. They fly out several miles before getting enough altitude to turn crosswind. I turn crosswind several hundred feet before the end of a 7000' runway, and am at pattern altitude before turning downwind.

Test fly it somewhere else first. After you feel somewhat familiar with your airplane, re-evaluate the concept of a 700' runway.

Forgot to mention, I fly out of 6200' MSL. My bird is probably draggier than most. Lucky to get 55 mph in cruise. Still, I am off the runway probably less than 5 seconds after throttle up. Those big, long, fat wings are both a blessing and a curse. Lots of lift at the expense of speed.

I think the most important lesson for those who have not flown this type of airplane is that this is ultralight flying. Low mass. High drag. No matter what people do to improve performance of these planes, and some accomplish amazing things...it's still ultralight flying. Outside of having basic flight skills and tail dragger training, it really doesn't compare to the experience of flying a 1300 lb. airplane.

I usually fly around at 1000'. From that altitude I generally consider anything within a 45 degree cone down from my plane as fair game for landing in the event of the "Big Quiet." The last thing you want to be tempted to do in this kind of aircraft is to stretch your glide for that last few feee.......!!!!!

I spent 18 years building my Max, and during that time I thought about it as just a smaller airplane than I had been flying. It was quite a shock to discover the truth when I began test flying. I had time in half a dozen different factory planes, 40 hours of Cub time, and had built and flown a gyroplane.

None of that prepared me for the feeling of being totally at the mercy of mother nature in this airplane. That said, I don't think you could own a more capable and controllable lightweight airplane. It's maneuverability really inspires confidence. You just have to be aware of its limits, and understand that, if you don't choose your flying conditions wisely, the wind can just...well...blow you away!

Quoted from scoop
Dennis I fly out of L-35 big bear ca. 6,750 field elevation rotax 503 dual carb it climbs like a scalded cat, it takes about 150 ft. and 5 seconds to get airborne runway length is over 5000 ft. and its almost always windy here.

Steve

​http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1416633944/s-0/
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment