Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  CA-2, an all metal Max like plane? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

CA-2, an all metal Max like plane?  This thread currently has 300 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
March 29, 2022, 12:22am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I not too long ago finished building a Mini Max which started out life with the thought of being a Hi Max but the owner stopped, I got it, made it an open cockpit flat top Max, and sold it. Now I am looking at the information sheets on a CA-2 which bears a lot of resemblance to what a flat topped open cockpit Max made out of metal would look like. It is all aluminum with flat lines, no curves, need only a sheet metal brake and tubing bender. I am going to price out the materials list to approximate what it would cost for just the aluminum in this crazy world we are in.  The plane is supposed to be modest in performance, docile, safe, and supposedly can make weight with as much as a Kawasaki 440.  I am sure not that many of these were built but I was wondering if any of you folks have had any experience with one.  

Attachment: ca2_3122.jpg
Size: 14.38 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
ITman496
March 29, 2022, 10:41pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
is that aluminum skinned too or fabric covered?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
kfb
March 30, 2022, 8:12pm Report to Moderator
Ace
I believe the moveable flying surfaces are fabric, all else aluminum
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
ITman496
March 30, 2022, 10:10pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Aw, i got excited for a second haha.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
flydog
March 31, 2022, 8:54pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
I am not familiar with it so did a little googlin'.  Looks like 250 lbs with a Rotax 277. Isn't that 5 lbs over legal? Also looks like the Kawasaki WILL be over weight.

"The prototype is powered by a Rotax 277. Heavier engines can be installed on the CA-2, however, the aircraft will no longer meet US FAR 103 weight requirements for ultralight vehicles. Other engines used include the Rotax 377, Rotax 447, 1/2 VW, Hirth F-33, Kawasaki 340 and Kawasaki 440-2A."

I'd be curious to hear what your material estimate comes out to.....no, maybe not, I cant afford to build another plane.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
Greg Doe
March 31, 2022, 10:23pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
FAA Part 103 lists 254lb. as the max weight.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
Cy V
April 1, 2022, 7:43pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 14 days 16 hours 49 minutes
I don't think the plans for the CA-2 are currently being offered. The Wikipedia page for the airplane describes it being sold by various companies over the years. The link to the official website goes to an archived page. The website is defunct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adams_CA-2

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
mullacharjak
April 2, 2022, 3:18am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
kfb
April 3, 2022, 2:06pm Report to Moderator
Ace
The plans are available from Adams Aeronautics, $150, I had asked them to send me the bill of materials so I could approximate pricing, they sent along a nice introductory greeting and info pack.  I have not gotten far in the pricing out of materials yet, long sheets of thin aluminum is the logistic issue, can be done, sent rolled apparently. Aluminum is like everything else in this covid/post covid era, pricing has gone crazy.  My interest was mostly in the building methodology, pretty much all riveted and bolted aluminum with no compound curves.  Other than that the plane is very much like an open cockpit flat topped Max.  I probably will shy away from it for the reason it is the same as the open cockpit Max i have already done in terms of design, performances, open cockpit issues, engine choices.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
erkki67
April 3, 2022, 2:19pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 55 days 21 hours 4 minutes
This bird would have been perfect with the wings of the ultra cruiser.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
flydog
April 5, 2022, 12:14am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Metal prices and shipping is nutz today. And wasnt there a big price hike in metal 10 years ago, and the excuse was something like "China is experiencing a building boom and buying up all the steel".

I've heard a saying about real estate pricing...."If you dont like the cost today, wait ten years, you will love it."
I guess we could substitute "real estate" with metal, aviation, or anything really.
If only wages could keep up with inflation, grrr.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
PUFF
April 5, 2022, 10:58am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
might make a nice Hi Max version. Wonder what the max HP sustainable is?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment