Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  1550 V max Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

1550 V max  This thread currently has 310 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
letsgofly
January 12, 2022, 11:35pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 24 minutes
I am looking for advice about the vmax 1550. I am unable to find clear Northern white pine in my area. I do have a good selection of clear vertical grain Douglas fir. Has anyone built this aircraft using all Douglas fir and if so how much more did it weight over Pine? Thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
flydog
January 13, 2022, 9:34pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
I can not comment on the Fir but just wanted to say welcome. The ETLB could use all the members we can get these days.
Have you discovered the search section? I do know its been discussed in the past and I'd bet you can find info in there. One thing that has bit me when using the search... be sure to change the default "90 days and newer" to something more useful.
If Fir is all you can get I'd say go for it. Do you not want to order spruce via https://www.aircraftspruce.com/
The spruce is only a small percentage of the total price to build in the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
Bob Daly
January 13, 2022, 10:34pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
I don't think there is 2 ft3 of dimensional lumber in the basic Minimax airframe.  And if doug fir is 32 lbs/ft3 while northern white pine is 27 lbs/ft3 then the weight gain is less than 10 lbs.
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
letsgofly
January 14, 2022, 2:17am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Thanks for the advice It doesn’t sound like the weight penalty would  be to bad.
Aircraft spruce is a great resource but was trying to avoid the shipping cost on the long spar material. I will check the archives for more info. Thanks again all for the help.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
Keith103
January 16, 2022, 2:42pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Lowe’s used to carry hemlock boards 12 ft long and size 6x1 (  milled / finished section would measure 5.5 in x .75 in ). Perfect for spar caps. Not sure if they still carry it. Hemlock falls midway between fir and spruce in weight and strength.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
letsgofly
January 17, 2022, 12:37am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
That sounds like a good option thanks Keith
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread