Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  GPS Repair Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

GPS Repair  This thread currently has 170 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
October 14, 2021, 3:25pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
[/color]Garmin GPS Repair[color=red]

If you own a GPS similar to either of these two and don't use it because it keeps shutting off, it can be made to work like new again. The reason it "automatically" shuts off is because the internal battery has died. Garmin no longer supports these obsolete devices.

I fixed mine by unscrewing the case halves and locating the battery. the battery either a disk about the size of a nickel connected by two wires or a watch battery with prongs that are soldered to the circuit board. They are 3.3 or 3.0 Volt batteries available at Radio Shack or anyplace that sells watch or hearing aid batteries. They are about $10 apiece. Replacement watch batteries do not have the prongs that go into the circuit board, use fine insulated stranded wire to make the circuit board connections. Solder the wires directly to the battery surfaces with minimal heat.

Although the batteries are too low on power to operate the GPS, they likely still do maintain the stored data. If possible, hook up the replacement battery in parallel before removing the old one, this will prevent the loss of data when the old battery is removed. Note the battery polarity for proper installation.

I have used these two GPS units for the past 12 and 20+ years. Even though I now use the Avare software on my kneeboard tablet, I use one of these as a backup. They have some features not available on the tablet.Hopefully you will find this information useful to either use or pass on to others.

Paul D. Fiebich

Attachment: gps_iii__v__8372.jpg
Size: 73.56 KB

Attachment: opened_case__1189.jpg
Size: 71.28 KB

Attachment: battery_1__6431.jpg
Size: 49.97 KB

Attachment: battery_2_5415.jpg
Size: 38.34 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
flydog
October 14, 2021, 9:55pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
I thought Radio Shack was loooong gone, certainly in my area, internet search... son of a gun they are still around.
Unfortunate Garmin will not service it. Its a simple battery change! I guess we can live in a throw away society  as the supply chain is running so smoothly.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Greg Doe
October 14, 2021, 10:57pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Currently I'm in the process of replacing the battery in my TiniTach. What's the worst thing I can do? It's unusable now!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
fiebichpv
October 18, 2021, 4:42pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Yes Greg, it is worth a try. The most it will cost you is the price of a battery and for that, it is worth the effort.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Greg Doe
October 18, 2021, 9:08pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Paul, New battery installed. It fired right up. I haven't run it yet, but it should be fine. I use it more for a back up tachometer, or a back up to my Hobbs meter.
Regarding "activity" here, I haven't flown in a couple years, but I hope to fly this year before it gets too cold. Maybe if I get to, I can post some pictures of Tennessee in the fall?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment