Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Champ vs max handling Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Champ vs max handling  This thread currently has 336 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Stilson
July 25, 2021, 3:34am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
After a few years of setbacks (new baby, busy work schedule, the "c" word setbacks, ) I've finally finished out my sport pilot liscence (all training in an aeronca champ).  I am now preparing my max after a few years of it sitting idle to  be skyward bound.   My question is to those whom have flown both, how does their flight handling compare, any big "gotcha's" between the two?   I anticipate the max being more short coupled and having more adverse yaw, obviously different "V's", but is there anything I need to be particularly on the watch out for on the transition?
Private Message
Max SSDR
July 25, 2021, 10:55am Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
The Max is a very low inertia aircraft being so light; you can shed 10kts with the tiniest movement of the stick, especially on finals. I have 1000 hrs on Taylorcraft and found flying the Max quite natural except for the speed of change. It's an easy aircraft to fly, but you need to keep on top of the airspeed all the time. Oh, and every landing needs to be spot on; very different to the Champ's 'Landomatic' oleos!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
aeronut
July 25, 2021, 2:22pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
I have over 300 hours in a Champ and think that SSDR is spot on with his evaluation. The Max is much more affected by gusty conditions just above and on the runway because of low inertia.If you judge your flying day by Champ standards you might be over estimating the Max's capabilities just a little when you go to fly the Max. If you have the stock TEAM tail wheel it is very hard and can skate on smooth tar runways. If you have the choice, try flying of the grass for your first few flights with the Max.Good luck with your Max. But you have been spoiled by the Champ.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
Keith103
July 25, 2021, 7:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
This is from FAA Advisory Circular (AC) 90-89A
Ultralight and amateur built flight-testing handbook.

Most builders may have seen this.
Very relevant points.

1.USE OF POWER.

One of the biggest differences between a general aviation aircraft and an ultralight is the very quick effect that changes in power can have on aircraft speed. In an ultra light or very light aircraft, it is possible to go from cruise speed to a stall in less than 4 seconds. This is due to the low mass, high drag configuration, and also due to the smaller operating speed range of the majority of ultralights. To avoid unplanned stalls, make only small reductions in power, over a longer time period, while always monitoring the airspeed.

2.CONTROL FEEL.

Due to the slow cruise-speed and lower weight of ultralights, their flight controls feel light or sensitive. Once the flight control input has been made, however, the rate of response tends to be slower than response by faster and heavier aircraft.

3. STALLS.

Because of their high angle of dihedral, most ultralight stalls tend to be straight forward, particularly during a power-off stall. These ultralights experience very little airframe buffeting. The only stall indications the pilot may recognize are the ultralight’s slowed forward movement, a rapid loss of altitude, and controls that are suddenly mushy and mostly ineffective.

4.STEEP TURNS.

When performing steep turns in an ultralight, the increasing weight (g load)and high drag tends to bleed off energy very very quickly.The pilot must monitor the airspeed to avoid inadvertently setting up a stall/spin scenario.

===

5. RECOMMENDATIONS.

a.Even if the builder/owner or pilot is a B-747 airline captain with 20,000 hours in type, he/she should NOT climb into an ultralight without first receiving flight instruction from a properly certified or authorized ultralight flight instructor.

b.Ultralights by their very nature are highly susceptible to winds above 15 mph. All ultralight aircraft flights should be conducted in light or no-wind conditions.

c.Even more so than America’s top fighter pilots, ultralight pilots must manage airspeed. Due to its small speed range between stall and full power; high drag and low weight, airspeed should become the single most important concern of the ultralight pilot.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
Bob Hoskins
July 25, 2021, 8:13pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi All
I have to say I agree with all of the above. One thing not mentioned. Taxiing G/A aircraft is much different than say the Max. When you push the rudder peddle on a Max it will turn right then. G/A you push the rudder peddle and release most pressure and wait for a second for it to turn. If you hold the input because there is no immediate reaction, you most likely will ground loop. So when you come in for touch down don't over due your rudder inputs.
So enjoy, they are great little planes.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
Stilson
July 25, 2021, 8:25pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
are there any quirky behaviors that make it favor wheel or threepoint landings?  
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
joe.scalet
July 26, 2021, 10:47pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
I have an Airbike and have had both a Champ and a Chief. My one suggestion would be to perform wheel landings with a little bit of power rather than a full stall (three point) landing until you are really comfortable with landing. As mentioned above the Champ/Chief has oleo struts that can absorb a pretty good sink rate. The Max, not so much, which is why the suggested tire pressures are low. The tire inflation pressure is all the shock absorbing you have. It is easy to bend or break things. BTW the recommended tire pressure in the Champ/Chief is 22psi even with the oleo struts.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
Stilson
July 26, 2021, 11:18pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
I have been a bit concerned about that, I have replaced the "wheel barrow" tires with the puffy golf cart tires that was discussed in a thread a few years ago, and have them slightly bulging/looking slightly low at only a few psi.  Pushing down on the motor mount it has a bit of bounce to it but will heed your advice.  Rechecked my weight and balance yesterday and I either have to gain some weight fast, relocate my battery, or ballast my tail.  it came in at 11", with empty 5 gallon cowl tank, so a bit more work to do.
Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
ITman496
July 27, 2021, 12:18am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Do you have a link to what tires you got?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
Stilson
July 27, 2021, 3:37am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
I'm about twenty minutes drive from my hanger but should able to get the tire info in the next day or two, I don't remember off hand the numbers.
Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
Stilson
July 28, 2021, 1:57am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Check the "landing gear- lack of suspension" thread I just bumped.  Strange side note when I searched my user name to find it, it showed posts from 2010 when there was somebody who coincidentally had the same user name 😳. 😂 I had just picked a name of a random local ghost town/now corn field, what are the odds 😂.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
ITman496
July 28, 2021, 2:24am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Thank you! And haha, its a small world!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread