Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Covering my steel gear Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Covering my steel gear  This thread currently has 349 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
BlueMax
June 19, 2021, 5:07am Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
Started on my latest Vmax improvement project this afternoon. In an effort to clean up my somewhat draggy airframe I am covering my gear legs. Today I got the fabric poly tak'd on, tomorrow I will get it shunk and the reinforcing tapes applied and poly spray'd. I hope to have it ready for paint sunday.

Chris

Attachment: 21_7772.jpg
Size: 336.28 KB

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
beragoobruce
June 20, 2021, 12:28am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Hey Blue

There's quite a bit of 'interference drag' around the gap where the upper main gear meets the fuse. I faired this in.

I also faired the diagonals & the lumpy X-piece in the middle. But I left an inspection window to see the two big fat nuts that carry the lift loads from the wings.

For some reason I can't attach the pic. But you'll find a couple in my thread http://www.lonesomebuzzards.co.....-Drag+Reduction+Mods

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
BlueMax
June 21, 2021, 3:22am Report to Moderator

Ace
Bruce,
That is beautiful work! I unfortunately have nowhere near the degree of skill required to make all those fairings, your plane is a work of art!

I am going to put fairings on my struts, how did you go about anchoring yours against rotation? Dave Cooper cautioned me against using pop rivets or bolts as the holes weaken the structure too much in his opinion. Here in Kansas its not uncommon to take stout jolts of turbulence on summer days so strength is good!

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
beragoobruce
June 21, 2021, 11:21pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
The strut fairings were made of balsa wood, shaped as needed to fit. I aimed at 3.5 ratio chord:thickness.  I bonded the wood onto the steel & ally struts using slightly thickened WEST.

I was going to skin the balsa with light fibreglass cloth, but in the end just coated them with WEST, which saved a bit of weight and proved durable.

Good luck in your fairing. Remember - every little helps!

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
BlueMax
June 22, 2021, 11:58am Report to Moderator

Ace
Bruce, you did an excellent Job!  With todays wood prices though, all that balsa might cost more than my plane it worth! How did you make the cuffs at the ends of the struts?

My gear are now covered and ready for paint, see flying stories for flight report!

Chris

Attachment: 05_5917.jpg
Size: 101.57 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
Bob Daly
June 26, 2021, 3:43pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Quoted from BlueMax

I am going to put fairings on my struts, how did you go about anchoring yours against rotation? Dave Cooper cautioned me against using pop rivets or bolts as the holes weaken the structure too much in his opinion. Here in Kansas its not uncommon to take stout jolts of turbulence on summer days so strength is good!

I believe you can safely anchor your struts with a few pop rivets.  The tensile strength of the strut is dependent upon the cross sectional area which for a 1.25"x.058" tube is 0.23 in2.  Then a 6061T6 tube has a nominal strength of over 10,000 lbs. A steel tube would be more than twice as strong.  If your plane has a gross weight of 600 lbs, the strut has to take about 1500 lbs of tension under a 4g load.  A couple of 3/16" rivets will reduce the cross section to about 0.2 in2.  The rivet holes are a stress riser of course.  The stress concentration factor for a round hole in a plate is 3. If the nominal stress is 7,500 psi (1500 lbs/0.2 in2) the maximum stress at the hole is 22.5 kpsi, half the ultimate tensile stress of 45 kpsi for 6061T6 (safety factor = 2).  I would suggest using staggered pairs of rivets.

Edit: Found a calculator for stress concentration here: https://amesweb.info/stress-concentration-factor-calculator/transverse-hole-in-round-bar.aspx
A calculation for a 1/4" bolt hole through a 1.25x0.58" 6061T6 aluminum tube would have a safety factor of 2.09 and an AN3 bolt hole would have a safety factor of 2.18.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
bob.hood
June 28, 2021, 3:05pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Bluemax said;  "I am going to put fairings on my struts, how did you go about anchoring yours against rotation? Dave Cooper cautioned me against using pop rivets or bolts as the holes weaken the structure too much in his opinion. Here in Kansas its not uncommon to take stout jolts of turbulence on summer days so strength is good!"

I think it depends on the strut covers as to how you anchor them. With mine I used the mounting holes at the end of each strut to hold the cover in place. I've attached a couple of photos to show what I mean.

Attachment: inner_end_right_wheel_2_9420.jpg
Size: 179.38 KB

Attachment: outer_end_left_wing_1_3183.jpg
Size: 151.35 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
BlueMax
June 28, 2021, 3:25pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Bob,
Those look great! did you make them or buy them?

Chris

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
bob.hood
June 28, 2021, 6:44pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I was given the aluminium sheet to make them from by the builder. He'd kept it for over 20 years, so when I contacted him to find out about what he'd used for covering the plane with, and what he'd painted it with, he asked if I'd like the strut covers. Of course I said yes, so I collected them from him, then had to cut them and pop rivet them along the back edge of each one. After that I drilled each one to match the mounting holes for the struts, then bolted them on when I next had the wings off.

I've attached a couple of photos of the strut covers before I fitted them to the plane, so you can see what they looked like, although I painted them with satin black spray paint, along with the axle, which you can see in the photos as well. You may also be able to see where I pop rivetted the back edges of each strut cover because the back of each rivet hit the opposite side of the strut cover when I fitted them. That's because each strut had the rear edge folded along one side, so that it fitted inside the rear edge instead of the two sides just being rivetted together. It looked neater, but was harder to do.

I'll put up a diagram showing what the strut covers looked like before I rivetted and painted them, so that you can see how one edge was folded inside the other.

Attachment: struts_2_9149.jpg
Size: 243.01 KB

Attachment: struts_1_7390.jpg
Size: 266.96 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
bob.hood
June 28, 2021, 6:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I've attached a diagram to this post showing how I pop rivetted the back end of each strut cover. The rivet is shown as solid black against the outline of the strut cover.

Attachment: strut_diagram_8471.jpg
Size: 5.70 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
aeronut
June 29, 2021, 3:55pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Really nice job. Five stars for sure.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline