Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  A new kind of hangar-rash Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

A new kind of hangar-rash  This thread currently has 464 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Antoni
June 8, 2021, 8:47am Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
We all know of hangar rash. I've even caused some once (and owned up to it).

If any non-flyer approaches me and asks about the MiniMax I always go into a kind of salesman mode, flight data, range, speed, costs, licences and such stuff.

Every person so far has been persuaded to get into the cockpit and for a better idea of what it would be like to fly I pick up the tail to flying attitude. Did this once for a non-flying friend - doesn't even fly in airliners. I picked up and moved the elevator so that the stick would move. He spooked! He said for an instant he thought the plane had a mind of its own and was about to kidnap him.

Last Saturday I was at a deserted (it always is) Oxton microlight strip. A young bloke approached from the footpath with his spaniel. Usual stuff: pointed out that the wings are fabric-covered and won't bear weight, how to get in, what to hold etc. He got in.

And then the ******g dog jumped onto the wing and tried to get in with him!

I can tell you, the wing covering is stronger than you might think but there is now a one-eighth inch oval hole in the aileron covering.
Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
June 8, 2021, 12:28pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Are you proposing a new way to punch test fabric. The all new Dogie Style punch test. LOL

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
Greg Doe
June 8, 2021, 5:20pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Woof!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
bob.hood
June 14, 2021, 9:41pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
We get a lot of dog walkers at our strip. They're a bloody nuisance. They keep walking along our runway (which isn't a public right of way) but which crosses between two public rights of way (public footpaths). We've put signs up but they walk straight past them and onto the runway as though they own it.

One of these days there's going to be a collision between a landing microlight and a dog, and both parties will not come out of it well. Unfortunately, even if that happens I doubt if it will stop them, unless we post up pictures of the dog's remains in glorious deadly colour. That might put them off a bit if they see what can happen to their pooches.

The other thing we get a lot of at the moment is horse riders using the runway as a gallop. During the summer when the ground is hard it's not too much of a problem, but when the ground is soft they leave 4" wide and 4" deep holes in the grass. Just the right size for my Minimax tailwheel to drop into and tear the back end off my plane.  

Attachment: hoof_holes_3a_6669.jpg
Size: 143.86 KB

Attachment: hoof_holes_4a_8773.jpg
Size: 164.28 KB

Attachment: hoof_holes_6a_509.jpg
Size: 131.05 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
Stilson
June 15, 2021, 12:34am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
Being a bit territorial by nature and upbringing, I think I'd put up a motion activated deer cam somewhere out of sight to find out whom the galloping rider is and ask them nicely to repair the damage. I'd doubt they are trailering them in, so a short drive around the neighbor hood should find the horse in the picture, then show the the pictures of the damage and explain nicely the risk it poses to light aircraft.  Most people are reasonable even if they are ignorant.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
Max SSDR
June 15, 2021, 7:28pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
We had a gamekeeper at our strip who insisted on driving his Landrover up the strip, based on the fact that he was the Gamekeeper! On top of that, he had a bloody great Bull Mastiff and let me tell you that when that dog did a dump on the runway, it meant a full underside wash of the aircraft!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment