Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Opinions on streamlining struts and axle Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Opinions on streamlining struts and axle  This thread currently has 270 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Stilson
June 5, 2021, 6:52pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
Anybody have any before/after numbers from streamlining, is it worth it?  
Then that leads to the question of best method if it is..
Private Message
beragoobruce
June 6, 2021, 1:33am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
I don't have any before & after figures because I embodied most of my drag reduction mods before 1st flight. Others as & when.

As to the best method, I can't say. But here's my thread on what I did: http://www.lonesomebuzzards.co.....-Drag+Reduction+Mods

Happy flying.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
radfordc
June 7, 2021, 2:49am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Not a Minimax, but a CGS Hawk with Rotax 447.  I changed from round tube struts to airfoil struts and cruise speed increased by 7 mph.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
Stilson
June 7, 2021, 9:07pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
Quoted from beragoobruce
I don't have any before & after figures because I embodied most of my drag reduction mods before 1st flight. Others as & when.

As to the best method, I can't say. But here's my thread on what I did: http://www.lonesomebuzzards.co.....-Drag+Reduction+Mods

Happy flying.

That looks great!
I think that for a chance at 5mph plus it's worth experimenting.  A few years ago I made some test pieces out of a layer of 6oz glass, a layer of kraft paper, and another layer of 6oz glass between two pieces of plastic and squeegeed out, then draped over a board.  They came out pretty good.  I think I'm going to dig out my hot wire cutter and make some polystyrene molds.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Opinions on streamlining struts and axle

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment