Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Is TEAM still in business? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Is TEAM still in business?  This thread currently has 1,198 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
nitrobill
May 16, 2021, 6:26pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 17 minutes
A buddy of mine wants to get into a Team plane but Dave won't even call or text him back. He has done that a lot to me also. I was looking for a head rest a few months ago never would contact me back. I've heard a few members say the same thing. He must not need the business. I've been flying Team for 22 years and i'm glad you can out source all the parts.
Private Message
Cy V
May 16, 2021, 7:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 14 days 16 hours 49 minutes
Yes, it's still in business. I think Dave stays very busy running the biz, working to bring the new Epic Sport model to market, and also working to revive the Carlson Sparrow line. It's a lot for one person to keep up with.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
textailwinds
May 16, 2021, 9:43pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 3 hours 17 minutes
I tried to buy Nylon wheels from him and he didn't have
any in stock....He had no bronze axel bushings....
No plastic header tanks , even though they were on the
Web page. No Himax control cables! I waited months
for those. He tried to sell me tires I didn't want since
he had those in stock. He doesn't sell the plans designed
aluminum material called out in the drawings for the wing center
section. He will cash your check to pay his bills. Long
before you get your parts. I had to buy many of my items
elsewhere. I have been building airplanes for over 30 years
and have seen businesses come and go. I know the
warning signs. You are now building an airplane that
will fly less than 90 mph for 15,000.00
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 13
Fenix
May 18, 2021, 8:41am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 40 minutes
A buddy of mine ordered a rib kit a few months ago.  A couple months ago Dave told him the parts had shipped.  A couple weeks ago my friend called Team and talked to a guy (not Dave) and asked about his rib kit which had supposedly shipped a couple months ago.  The guy laughed and said "Who told you that?  It's not possible that you kit has shipped because I'm cutting it right now".  A couple weeks later my friend received the rib kit.

So in short:  Yes it seems they are still open, but it also seems like it is not the only thing Dave does or is at least way behind.   I think it is safe to say you need to plan ahead and order early.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
Arthur Withy
May 18, 2021, 1:29pm Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
If your post is accurate........well  the answer is simple deception...if paying for a product..a delivery date should be expected...not a response for someone ..not Dave..suggesting he just doing it NOW..the hairs on the back of my neck are standing UP

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
Fenix
May 19, 2021, 1:27am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 40 minutes
Last year I chatted on the telephone with Dave a couple times.  Very friendly and he seemed "enthused" about minimax stuff.  I was very encouraged and bought a couple sets of plans to build a Hi V Max - in a parasol configuration.

However:
The report in regard to the rib kit is from a good friend I have known twenty years and we had conversations all along the way discussing the progress of his order.  I'm satisfied it is an accurate account.  

I agree it shows a lot of "warning signs" in regard to the future of TEAM.  In the building of a minimax there are only a few parts that are not simply raw materials.  There has been some discussion in regard to sources of teleflex cables.   Does anyone also know the origin of the wheels, tires, bushings, seatbelt assembly (though many other options are available the Team belts are just easy)  I don't think Dave makes the cowls himself or bends and heat treats the tailspring assy, but rather someone likely makes them for him.  I'm NOT suggesting at all any sort of boycott of TEAM (we all want Dave to succeed for the support of our own planes) but perhaps it would be good to compile a source list for support of the models should the "factory support" be interrupted.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
nitrobill
May 19, 2021, 1:19pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 17 minutes
You can get wheels, tires, brakes and cables from Aircraft Spruce or Leading Edge Airfoils. The wheel bushings, lexan, rubber channel, springs, tail wheels, ect from McMaster-Carr. It.s a great hardware place. I get my seatbelts from Summit racing. Hope that helps.
If you don't take care of customers, soon you don't have any. In the early days Team helped you so much that you wanted to support them. I bought everything from them.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 13
DavenportAndrew
May 21, 2021, 12:26am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 12 hours 7 minutes
I had some issues ordering as well.  Dave did give me a smoking deal on a kit, but kept pushing back the delivery date.  We got into a bit of a tiff about it, as it was over 5 months from order to delivery on a kit he said was in stock.  In the end he did rush me a kit, literally hiring a guy to drive it to my house in a pickup.  I ended up neutral, as my kit is missing a few parts, such as tires, wing tips, and some other misc stuff.

I know Dave works a full time job elsewhere and the Minimax kits are a side business, and a hard one at that. Still, customer service is lacking.  I run a business too, it can be hard and I make mistakes all day long, but just doing what you say you will do or making up for any mistakes is huge.

I totally understand that he's understaffed and overworked, but you can't let that show. Mostly with such a small niche market.  I honestly think Minimaxes could be the huge for low cost homebuilding!  It's a plane that Flys great and is cheap to build, but it needs to be backed with good service, even if it's with a fake smile and a stiff drink.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 13
oakchas
August 24, 2022, 8:21pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 6 hours 56 minutes
Team minimax website seems to be defunct... Anybody heard anything?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 13
PoconoJohn
September 5, 2022, 2:49pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 18 minutes
The website is back up. Looks like it was updated.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
RedBird
September 10, 2022, 3:14am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Quoted from RedBird
I’ve happily paid for my Eros plans twice. ... My bigger concern is the $400 Epic Sport plans that I did pay for, have still not been provided years later. Don’t get me wrong. I like David and his sincere efforts and overall service to this hobby. I also have a respectful appreciation for effort/cost involved in bringing a new aircraft model to market in a responsible manner. It’s just been a very, very long time...  

Above is from a post I made 4years and 3 days ago... I still don't have Epic Sport Plans yet...  Small business hobby niches can be a tough haul to make a go of, that is for sure; But it does leave a lousy taste to be left hanging on the wrong end of a good faith transaction.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 13
PUFF
September 19, 2022, 11:30am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
WOW
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
Tom
September 19, 2022, 12:19pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
I also bought plans for the Epic Sport a lot of years ago.  To continue to support the project I also bought the rib kit and the empennage kit.  Quite a lot of money shelled out.  It is my understanding that the prototype was ready to fly several years ago, but no word that it actually has.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 13
David Woodside
November 19, 2022, 2:04pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 14 hours 14 minutes
Are there alternate sources for fuel tanks, canopies, and steel gear?  I'll be needing those V-Max speciality items, and I'm concerned about TEAM's ability to supply them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 13
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment