Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Kneeboard for AirBike
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Kneeboard for AirBike  This thread currently has 262 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
May 4, 2021, 12:25am Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 20 minutes
Tablet Kneeboard

Long multi-stop cross-country flights always include a certain level of anxiety. I always prepared with advance planning by collecting airport information, weather forecasts, fuel availability, and sectionals. I also filed flight plans because I never had ground support following me.

Twenty-two years ago, I navigated all my cross-country flights used only pilotage. I even made the 800 mile return trip from Oshkosh that way. Pilotage is a tried & true method that works well while dramatically increases one’s self-confidence. But the anxiety is high because missing a landmark could mean you get lost. Eventually, I acquired a Magellan 300 GPS hand-held unit meant for ground-dwelling hikers, boaters, and bikers. Fortunately, as anticipated, I found it worked well at several thousand feet above the ground too. It was a wonderful anxiety reducer.

Most recently I acquired an Alcatel tablet and downloaded free navigation software called Avare. This brings me into the 22nd century! (I don’t really try to keep up with technology; I just try to avoid falling further behind!) The software is phenomenally inclusive and with the aid of numerous Avare tutorials on You Tube, I have been able to learn those functions appropriate for my flying.

Unfortunately, there was no place on my AirBike where I could mount the tablet to make it convenient to use and where it wasn’t a visual obstruction. Being a woodworker, I  solved the problem in my shop. I made a kneeboard out of scrap material that would hold the 5” X 7” tablet.

One quarter inch thick plywood served as the main part, thin strips of hardwood formed the border which trapped the tablet. Cutouts in the border pieces permitted access to the side mounted controls and charging port.

A piece of soft wire formed over my thigh served as the pattern for making a cutout in the kneeboard’s angled plywood “leg” that would rest there. The angled wood support improved the sight angle making the tablet easier to read. A piece of five eighths diameter Backer Rod with a groove cut in it then glued to the curved “leg” area provided cushioning.

To keep the kneeboard in place, an elastic band purchased at Walgreens Drug Store was threaded through the kneeboard and wrapped around my leg. Its Velcro end secured the elastic band in place. A couple of rubber bands keep the tablet attached to the kneeboard yet allowed for easy removal.

This entire set-up works very well; it is comfortable, convenient to read, and easy to operate. Best of all, on the two flights tested so far, it has reduced my anxiety level to zero! The features of the Avare software can totally eliminate all the paper sheets and index card support information I used to carry. Once confident enough with this electronic aspect of navigating, I will only carry a chart, compass and handheld GPS as backup.

A couple hours in the shop and you too can make a similar kneeboard to accommodate your tablet and the downloaded Avare software. Make the kneeboard to suit your tablet and leg size.

Paul D. Fiebich

PS Most likely many of you use such a navigation system in your planes, unfortunately, I have never seen anything on the board about what others use. Hence, I likely am way behind the curve where most of you are.

Attachment: completed_flight_path_etlb__1879.jpg
Size: 96.71 KB

Attachment: cockpit_panel_etlb__3959.jpg
Size: 103.44 KB

Attachment: kneeboardtv_etlb__5958.jpg
Size: 54.31 KB

Attachment: cutting_backer_rod_etlb__9131.jpg
Size: 74.34 KB

Attachment: kneeboard_cushioning__etlb__8950.jpg
Size: 61.66 KB

Attachment: kneeboard_in_flight_position_etlb__1350.jpg
Size: 86.52 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Arthur Withy
May 6, 2021, 1:02pm Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Bloody hi-tech for a fun machine......great work Paul (still the ACE)

cheers Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
RedBird
May 13, 2021, 7:09pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
very awesome... in so many ways!

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
fiebichpv
May 14, 2021, 3:19pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 20 minutes
Below are a couple more photos, one shows the kneeboard better than the ones above and I just had to include a terrain photo taken while flying yesterday. Actually, the flight was to further test the kneeboard and my ability to operate the tablet while flying. I think I might have to paint a portion of the wing underside that is above the kneeboard to reduce reflection.

What navigation devices you others use when flying close-in or cross-country?

Paul Fiebich

Attachment: kneeboard_in_use_in_flight_etlb__5177.jpg
Size: 111.32 KB

Attachment: crossing_arkansas_river_etlb__752.jpg
Size: 87.23 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Flyxaos
May 14, 2021, 7:41pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 4 days 10 hours 9 minutes
Nice,

The machine I fly now has Dynon maps etc.  But I like Avare also.  That free program and a $99 Galaxy Tab A from Costco is an amazing back up and second screen.  Your panel is pretty amazing for an Airbike.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Kneeboard for AirBike

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment