Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Oratex Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Oratex  This thread currently has 399 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
flydog
March 12, 2021, 10:15pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
From time to time someone will ask about using Oratex. Not much is know except, "light, expensive"
   Now lemme back up a bit. Last year I had to strip a "by the book" Poly Fiber job, 1.7 oz fabric. I was shocked at the weight, had considered weighing it but never did. I guess 8 coats of crap will do that.
So hope to be re-covering this year and although I'm cheap I was considering paying a premium to save weight buy using Oratex. Add only lightness right?
   Just got the estimate for materials and covering accessories, heat gun, the iron you must use or you will not get good results,shipping,etc. No rib lacing materials.  Sitting down?......$3,728.70
BTW that's just to do the wings only. You want to cover a fuselage and empenage too?
I think I will pass on that deal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ITman496
March 12, 2021, 11:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
My whole plane cost less then that!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
James Z.
April 3, 2021, 11:37am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 18 hours 7 minutes
Wow!  I'd be really curious if you could share your "breakdown" and the inventory list, computations, etc!
I've been building my AirBike for 16 years, and my wings are finally ready to cover.
Jim
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
TreeTopsTom
April 3, 2021, 5:11pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 26 days 13 hours 37 minutes
Get out the Popcorn, I'm gonna post a comment!    
I wouldn't say "Not much is known" about Oretex. Actually any small investigating into it will reveal all sorts of information. If you just want to knock it because it's expensive (and I agree), that's fine. But their product is being authorized for use (STC'ed) as a replacement covering on a number of certified aircraft. That's no easy hoop to jump through! It is PROVING it's strength & resiliency in possibly one of the most unforgiving geographic areas of the world & on some of the most demanding type/uses of aircraft. Namely ALASKA & Bush Planes!
I didn't go investigate this today before writing this so I am not going to be quoting the specific aircraft but I do think Piper Cubs are on the growing list.
EDIT:OK I went ahead & looked. It says " It is certified in Europe and Canada, and many FAA STCs are now available in the USA. There are currently over 300 airplanes flying with Oratex (including a 5th place Reno-Racer and a Red Bull Master Class competitor). Three European manufacturers have chosen to use Oratex exclusively, including on an aerobatic version of the Sherwood Ranger. Having been tested extensively in Alaska, Oratex is now available throughout North America."  No offence Flydog but to say Not much is known about is just isn't correct.
One must also factor in the man hours saved in multiple coats of applying paint/primer/silver coats to any other fabric system! Yeah, I get it if you are doing the labor yourself & consider that time (free). And yeah, I still think/wish they could get the price of the stuff down to some (in between) number that might make it a more viable option for ultralights. I'm not promoting them or associated with them in any way even if it might sound that way. I'm just saying "Expensive" can be a relative term and to say not much else is know about the product just isn't a correct statement.

EDIT & ADDED text:
I punched a hole through the Elevator of my unknown fabric/covering system type. I had ZERO fabric or paint products because I didn't cover the craft. It would have cost me a small fortune to buy the minimum quantities of the various prime & paint supply's to do a proper fabric repair. Not to mention the lack of any experience.
I was able to order a small (repair patch sample) from the boys from Oratex. I forget the cost but maybe around $20 bucks. Oretex IS OFFICIALLY APPROVED to be used as a patch for poly fiber / Stewart system covered craft!
A little MEK to clean the surrounding area & a circle shaped patch to overlap a minimum of 1" (maybe it's more) and this otherwise very difficult to get done repair was completed! Patch was white color & matched the paint of the elevator so close it was almost invisible. I can't get into the adhesion properties except to say I considered it AOK to go!
So with that always in the back of my mind I guess I might be a little bias towards the product.  BUT I am talking from a $20 easy patch job vs. what I am certain would have been $150 plus to try to do it with fabric & glue & prime & paint...Needless to say I was very happy Oretex was an option to fix small holes in fabric covered craft.
Mostly I write this so anyone that has a small hole or patch job & maybe does not have the materials to do it with whatever the OEM covering is, Will know that there is an option with the Oretex patch material. (IIRC the patch was a special product. IE: It's not the standard bulk wing covering product. It has the glue pre applied. Basically it's a sticker or stick down product). So there is my qualification for the subject matter.       TTT  
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
Fenix
April 4, 2021, 12:10pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 40 minutes
Good info.  Thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
flydog
April 4, 2021, 3:50pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Get out the Popcorn, I'm gonna post a comment!    
I wouldn't say "Not much is known" about Oretex.

You misunderstood me TTT.
My opening line- "From time to time someone will ask about using Oratex. Not much is know except, "light, expensive"
What I meant is when someone inquires HERE, the ETLB, not much info is offered other than "light,expensive, or "I talked with  Oratex at Oshkosh several years ago and I'm not sure I remember the exact price quoted".
I was merely giving hard data about 2021 pricing. That may end some future readers consideration of it right there. See I spent a LOT of time studying the application manual until I felt I understood it well, and that I could do it. Next I emailed back and forth with Oratex a few times with lingering questions, then I asked for a quote and they invested time providing that. All for nothing as I find the price unacceptable. By posting current hard facts about pricing it could save someone else from going through it all again.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Max SSDR
April 4, 2021, 6:29pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
The Oratex price argument does factor in the man hours required to do a 'conventional job', but of course, most of us aren't charging for or being paid for our time! It IS incredibly light and strong and also the finish is excellent. Personally I wouldn't spend more than the total cost of my Minimax! Quick anecdote on covering weight; I recovered the wings of my T craft, back in '94 using Diatex. The original covering was razor back fibreglass(!) and the material removed from the wings weighed nearly 70lbs!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
TreeTopsTom
April 5, 2021, 3:56am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 26 days 13 hours 37 minutes
Got ya flydog: Yeah, I did miss the point. (no surprise there). It's to bad the price point really does rule out it's use on these type airplanes. And with so many guys trying to come in with legal weight for 103, being able to use the Oratex would be just one more advantage. All indications are that it's application process saves in mess, smell & labor hours. But it seems there is also a price point of the aircraft to justify it's use.
And I don't think any of the TEAM craft are in the range. Maybe we should lobby TEAM to raise the price of their kits!                                                            TTT
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
flydog
April 5, 2021, 4:44pm Report to Moderator
Ace
TTT, No Probs. I enjoyed the popcorn.
I was considering it for the weight savings. Now plan-B is looking closer at Hipec. Per there claims it looks comparable to Oratex in weight, I think, will have to look at the specs again. However that is with ONE coat of topcoat color.  I am skeptical as I've never got good coverage/hiding with one coat of anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment