Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Rotax Oil Injection Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Rotax Oil Injection  This thread currently has 274 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Mickvds
January 23, 2021, 11:34am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 2 days 47 minutes
Hi everyone.

Does anybody have any experience fitting an Oil Injection Pump to their Rotax 447/503?

I'm looking to fit one but need to replace the Intake Sockets for ones that will allow tube connection to the pump.

As per the photo, Has any one drilled and tapped the standard sockets at point 2?

What is the purpose of the connection point, 1? Thought that you could maybe connect the pump outlets there.

Cheers, Mick

Attachment: carby_466.jpg
Size: 41.84 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
joe.scalet
January 23, 2021, 10:41pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
I realize that the convenience of not having to premix your fuel sounds attractive. I for one have never felt comfortable using one. A plugged or damaged feed line or vacuum line can spell big trouble. You first indication of it not working will be when the temps rise and/or the engine seizes. Its just not that much trouble to premix my fuel. I tend to use 100LL fuel so I also have to add a supplement to handle the lead so I am doing some premix anyway.
Joe
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
joe.scalet
January 24, 2021, 9:18pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
FYI:
Check out this link:
https://rotaxrick.wordpress.com/fuel/

Joe
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
bob.hood
January 25, 2021, 10:11am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
As far as I'm aware connection 1 on the side of the carburettor is there to allow you to connect a set of vacuum powered carb balancers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Mickvds
January 26, 2021, 8:27am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Quoted from joe.scalet
I realize that the convenience of not having to premix your fuel sounds attractive. I for one have never felt comfortable using one. A plugged or damaged feed line or vacuum line can spell big trouble. You first indication of it not working will be when the temps rise and/or the engine seizes. Its just not that much trouble to premix my fuel. I tend to use 100LL fuel so I also have to add a supplement to handle the lead so I am doing some premix anyway.
Joe

Thanks Joe. There is a wide variety of opinions on the use of the oil pump with both sides having good arguments. My main reason for wanting to fitt one is to not have to worry about premix on x country trips. There's plenty of places to get fuel but the logistics to premix at different places is not easy. I'm still in 2 minds though.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
Mickvds
January 26, 2021, 8:28am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Quoted from bob.hood
As far as I'm aware connection 1 on the side of the carburettor is there to allow you to connect a set of vacuum powered carb balancers.

Thanks Bob. It's also the Primer Port from what I've been told but has only a very small orifice into the carby so no good for fitting the oil injection lines to.

Cheers, Mick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
joe.scalet
January 26, 2021, 5:30pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Before you go to the expense and trouble of setting up oil injection, talk to Paul aka AirBikeace. He has probably spent more time flying cross country than anyone else on the site. He lives outside of Wichita Kansas and has made several trips to Oshkosh and to Sun N Fun. I'm not sure if he uses oil injection, but he would  be the person to talk to.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Antoni
January 31, 2021, 7:57pm Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
Quoted from Mickvds
There's plenty of places to get fuel but the logistics to premix at different places is not easy.

If you are going cross-country you will need oil, whether for the oil tank or for pre-mixing.

You could carry a small wide-mouthed plasic drinks bottle which will accept the fuelling nozzle, after the correct amount of oil has been added to it for the total fuel uplift, and then add that heavy mix to the tank. That's what I do.

Or you could carry a 2 litre burger-stand plunger ketchup dispenser which has been checked for its delivery volume per squirt, and squirt the necessary number of squirts of oil from it directly into the tank prior to fuelling. That's what I do.

Oil injection is more oil-efficient but in my opinion adds un-necessary installation complication.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment