Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Full Flight Video. MINIMAX RP-S2357
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Full Flight Video. MINIMAX RP-S2357  This thread currently has 856 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Phil
December 28, 2020, 11:35pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 4 hours 23 minutes
Hi Guys,

Sharing the full flight video of my MINIMAX maiden.
Enjoy the ride.

Phil C. Vergara

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mW3U8lbBUBU

Logged Offline
Private Message
skyblazer
December 29, 2020, 2:34am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 29 days 11 hours 48 minutes
Phil you no doubt had the lord looking after you my friend.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 17
Phil
December 29, 2020, 4:13am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from skyblazer
Phil you no doubt had the lord looking after you my friend.

Skyblazer the good lord loved us all. Definitely you're right he's with me.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 17
fiebichpv
January 1, 2021, 1:35pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 20 minutes
Well Ace, that was a heart-stopper landing. How do you manage to have an engine-out right over your airport! Whew, how long did it take to get the seat cushion out of your rear! You handled your emergency well albeit from the sound when passing over the runway marker, you have some wing damage. Sad to hear that but things could have been worse, a lot worse. You don't have many landing areas where you fly. I am happy for you that things worked out as well as they did.

My very first flight in my AirBike resulted in a stuck engine causing me to land back at my takeoff airport. My flight was 7 minutes. My maiden flight was to stay in the pattern in case there was an emergency.

What caused your engine-out?

Glad you are safe.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 17
Phil
January 2, 2021, 6:45pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from fiebichpv
Well Ace, that was a heart-stopper landing. How do you manage to have an engine-out right over your airport! Whew, how long did it take to get the seat cushion out of your rear! You handled your emergency well albeit from the sound when passing over the runway marker, you have some wing damage. Sad to hear that but things could have been worse, a lot worse. You don't have many landing areas where you fly. I am happy for you that things worked out as well as they did.

My very first flight in my AirBike resulted in a stuck engine causing me to land back at my takeoff airport. My flight was 7 minutes. My maiden flight was to stay in the pattern in case there was an emergency.

What caused your engine-out?

Glad you are safe.

Paul Fiebich

Paul, the early hour on that maiden humidity was high due to tropical depression 'Vicky' just passed 3 hrs out west leaving window on a calm cold climate. In video dews were severe seen on my wing and windshield.I have flown R503 fan cooled, 582 water cooled without a single temp issue only did operated on fair conditions in easthern part of the island. I suspected freak lean out on that maiden.

Thank you.

Phil C. Vergara

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 17
Arthur Withy
January 4, 2021, 10:17am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
OK Phil, its been all said by Paul and Skyblazer. ..and Im on their  "TEAM "...LOL

Your a brave and LUCKY man...and you did well with your landing.....you have to drop the nose on a Minimax once the fan stops....due to DRAG.

Please sort that engine out before something terrible happens....no guesses...just science and physics.....theres too many trees in that video for me to smile all the way through. I guess ...I am worried (but Happy too) for you...your a good guy.

I did like the video...great work...lots of support ..friends and family....just remember theres only one pilot in a minimax.

Run the engine on the ground...at flying power....do some testing.....hopefully you will find a fault...and change the mixture.

Thankyou for sharing your adventure.

And I will add you in my prayers..My angel wings..LOL

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 17
Arthur Withy
January 4, 2021, 10:22am Report to Moderator

Ace
PS..... my 2 cents on advice...Airmanship is an important part of  SAFE FLYING.

so dont fly away from the airfield...do circuits and stay close enough to glide to the runway.. (the 45 degree rule) ..or simply climb above and circle the runway so the runway is always available if all goes quite. Besides it gives the spectators better photograghy...LOL

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 17
Phil
January 4, 2021, 6:10pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Arthur Withy
OK Phil, its been all said by Paul and Skyblazer. ..and Im on their  "TEAM "...LOL

Your a brave and LUCKY man...and you did well with your landing.....you have to drop the nose on a Minimax once the fan stops....due to DRAG.

Please sort that engine out before something terrible happens....no guesses...just science and physics.....theres too many trees in that video for me to smile all the way through. I guess ...I am worried (but Happy too) for you...your a good guy.

I did like the video...great work...lots of support ..friends and family....just remember theres only one pilot in a minimax.

Run the engine on the ground...at flying power....do some testing.....hopefully you will find a fault...and change the mixture.

Thankyou for sharing your adventure.

And I will add you in my prayers..My angel wings..LOL

regards Arthur

Well said Arthur. And I thanked you. This marginal powerplant really needs proper attention and I'm learning...
Hopefully it would be flyable some of this days..

Thank you for your prayers. God bless.

Regards,

Phil

PS
Here a video footage that might answer few questions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfxO9GYkbis

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 17
Arthur Withy
January 10, 2021, 10:38am Report to Moderator

Ace
Phil,

You have almost as much luck as James Bond..007...LOL  

Stay safe

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 17
Phil
May 23, 2021, 6:47pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Arthur Withy
Phil,

You have almost as much luck as James Bond..007...LOL  

Stay safe

regards Arthur

Hey Arthur,
I guess some sort of Indiana Jones! ... why? well because it
was my first take off and landing on taildragger!..LOL

Stay safe too!

Best regards,
Phil

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 17
Ricardo
October 6, 2021, 6:48pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Hi Phil!
I just watched your maiden flight video.
Wow! What a close call ..
What rpm were you running when CHT was raising?
I have had that kind of issue once and doing full throttle  lowered the CHT because more fuel is getting in.
I dont know if you had tried that during that flight.
Anyway, I hope you had fixed the problem.
Take care
Ricardo
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 17
Phil
October 16, 2021, 12:57am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Ricardo
Hi Phil!

What rpm were you running when CHT was raising?
I have had that kind of issue once and doing full throttle  lowered the CHT because more fuel is getting in.
I dont know if you had tried that during that flight.
Anyway, I hope you had fixed the problem.
Take care
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo!
CHT started raising at 5500rpm...It was a short 8 minute flight dont have time to experiment on that kind of terrain. At home, I saw oil leak after engine storage it means I had a bad crankshaft seal..Even with brandnew engine should have considered seal replacement especially with old model rotax or otherwise with long period of engine storaged.
Regards,
Phil

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 17
Ricardo
October 19, 2021, 4:16am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Thanks for the update Phil.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 17
flydog
October 19, 2021, 10:37pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
How is the re-build going? Or are you going to get a new engine?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 17
Phil
October 21, 2021, 10:41pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from flydog
How is the re-build going? Or are you going to get a new engine?

Flydog,
My max still in my garage right after the maiden, untouched. It's obvious I need larger engine after test flight.

Regards,
Phil

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 17
flydog
October 22, 2021, 10:37pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Phil
Long time ago I think you were looking for oil recommendations? And were you at that time considering running 100:1 ratio?
Do you think your oil, or oil ratio could be why the engine over heated?

The other Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 17
Phil
October 23, 2021, 4:50am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from flydog
Phil
Long time ago I think you were looking for oil recommendations? And were you at that time considering running 100:1 ratio?
Do you think your oil, or oil ratio could be why the engine over heated?

The other Phil

Phil, I run the engine with mineral 2t oil during break-in period. Then 3+ hrs run on  full synthetic 2t before 1st flight..during such period on the ground there were no signs of over heating at all throttle setting. Ratio 50:1 as reccommend.

Me

Attachment: fb_img_16349634647169649_9588.jpg
Size: 395.19 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 17
Phil
March 2, 2022, 8:06pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from fiebichpv
Well Ace, that was a heart-stopper landing. How do you manage to have an engine-out right over your airport!

Glad you are safe.

Paul Fiebich

Paul, more than a year had passed on that incident. I still remember vividly in my mind every second of what was happening on that very moment.

The very moment I seen runway below my right wing, the engine stopped. Sense of direction, I saw runway in 45 degrees below with only few feet remaining to the end of the runway. I realized and concentrated a spot on the edge of the runway for me to make a flare in tight turn while skidding with full left rudder tounching down in three point. Ground run was 90 degrees left from dive path. The full right rudder, joy stick push at full right ailerons inputs that made a complete S along the runway.
Left wing aileron was on down position that hit the runway end marker with crazy sound of unsupported painted tin but no damage done on airframe structure but a bit spinner scratch on nose that touches ground.

Reference video.

https://youtu.be/lyt8J0FGNMc

Phil Vergara

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 17
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Full Flight Video. MINIMAX RP-S2357

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment