Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Saga of 8 minute maiden flight. RP-S2357.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Saga of 8 minute maiden flight. RP-S2357.  This thread currently has 711 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Phil
December 21, 2020, 11:45am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 4 hours 23 minutes
Window was opened after a tropical depression Vicky  passed ... A calm early morning sunday of Dec.  20, 2020 sunrise lit showing morning dew on the untouched blades of grass found on 650ft airstrip just like a needle beneath  the crowns of coconut plants surrounded the island of southern Philippines the country where my minimax was borned equip with small 28hp rotax.

The day before, we traveled 7 hours thru rolling and winding roads towed a trailered little homebuilt of almost 20yrs in the making.

And finally,  I'd started the engine for short taxi test headed unto downhill of sloped  airfield a mountain visible about 2 miles out and the opposite is NE facing the ocean where shorelines in 1.3 miles distance from intended take-off point. Field elevation is 252' MSL.

Executed 180 and ready...Take-off was smooth handled by yours truly with conservative taildragger time equivalent to half of 5 gals fuel tank on combined pavement and grass surfaces.
This time airborned,   I'm on the air for the first time in both airplane and airspace!
A minute had passed immediately  I realized there were no other option but to make straight out departure to take the needed emergency field (shoreline) just in case, ASI 50mph. RPM from 6300 reduced to 5800, CHT/EGT on green arc... After 2or3 minutes, I notice CHT pointer deflected a bit to higher reading but still in green arc..but my concerned is obvious.
Time to go back, Phil! I said to myself,, the sun at my right sitting on the horizon beneath the sea on shallow banked turn and maintained level as silhouette infront represent heart of my minimax.  l'm into the opposite facing the mountain outline.. Nowhere airstrip can be found all I can see at approximately   400AGL where a carpet of coco palm rested below...flying time  now 5 minutes CHT in red mark!..  ASI 50 mph I could felt weaker engine power... height AGL diminished...Scanning on an open cockpit minus foggy windshield then a quick glanced on my right field of view fortunately I found a marker on the airstrip location that I considered obstacle during my previous ocular inspection of that airport.. Giant liked coconut type tree but twice taller..immediately put my nose into that direction!!

The video will relay the rest...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPsFD854Sw8&feature=share
Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
December 21, 2020, 12:50pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
WOW Your survival instinct is honed to a razor's edge.Well done on the landing. Please tell us the rest of the story? Did the engine sustain damage' was the airplane hurt, are you hurt, what will you do next, did you tell your wife??? You have my every sympathy. Over the years on this website I feel that I have come to know you and think of you as a friend.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
Mickvds
December 21, 2020, 12:58pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 2 days 47 minutes
Geez Phil what a bummer. Nice flying to get her on the ground. The way you had to push that nose over was spectacular although I imagine that would have got the heart rate up. I'm glad you walked away from that and hope that the aircraft is repairable and you get back up there soon.

Cheers, Mick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
skyblazer
December 22, 2020, 1:53am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 29 days 11 hours 48 minutes
Sorry Phil, I think I held my breath until the end of the video. Hope you get it flying again soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
Greg Doe
December 22, 2020, 4:26am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 25 minutes
Good save. Been there, done that. look for an induction air leak?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
Stilson
December 23, 2020, 4:26am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
WOW!! Great job on catching the temp problem early, another minute... that terrain looked unforgiving. Deadstick landing on a first test flight! Great pilot skills! I assume first landing in a taildragger and not bouncing up (and no ability to throttle up to recover) great job! Get that engine sorted out and fix the tail (I assume that clunky metallic sound was the horizontal stabilizer hitting the sheet metal end marker and that tipped you on your nose). I've heard that same "clunk" sound...(excursion and runway light post..).  You built it, you can fix it, don't give up.  It looked like it flys nice.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
Phil
December 23, 2020, 10:14am Report to Moderator

Ace
The airstrip located marker  I've described right on the nose of my minimax in this photo.

Attachment: fb_img_16086895276821327_8342.jpg
Size: 265.84 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
Phil
December 23, 2020, 9:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from aeronut
WOW Your survival instinct is honed to a razor's edge.Well done on the landing. Please tell us the rest of the story? Did the engine sustain damage' was the airplane hurt, are you hurt, what will you do next, did you tell your wife??? You have my every sympathy. Over the years on this website I feel that I have come to know you and think of you as a friend.

Aeronut,  did my first survival instinct tested on MX Sprint II way back late 1990s on a maiden.
I was unscratched but the plane was totalled.
I got full support from family but my wife never gone on an airport ever since I'm flying. Infact,  she never knew I was a pilot until we got engaged.
This incident,  my minimax sustained minor scratch on her spinner when it tipped into deep portion of runway end and happy to have her for life she's part of my family. My son since young is with me every test flights after watching those videos was thinking to take flight lessons because of his interest as a challenge.
Thank you Aeronut for your support.
My best regards,
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
Phil
December 24, 2020, 8:46am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Mickvds
Geez Phil what a bummer. Nice flying to get her on the ground. The way you had to push that nose over was spectacular although I imagine that would have got the heart rate up. I'm glad you walked away from that and hope that the aircraft is repairable and you get back up there soon.

Cheers, Mick

Thanks Mick,
It just happened so fast.. I felt amazed upon touching down I did enjoyed the ride with hard up elevator, hard left rudder that made left wheel to contact first followed by right while full up elevator hand brake and hard right rudder on split second... A moment later I've barp. LOL.
Cheers,
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
Phil
December 24, 2020, 9:29am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from skyblazer
Sorry Phil, I think I held my breath until the end of the video. Hope you get it flying again soon.

Hey Skyblazer,
I felt the same as you.. That's why that 8 minute flight was too long for me to comprehend  why I did that maiden. It was a miracle..God loved us and is good. 💝
Merry Christmas to everyone!
Cheers,
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
Phil
December 24, 2020, 9:42am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Greg Doe
Good save. Been there, done that. look for an induction air leak?

Hi Greg,
Yes it was but the hard way all control inputs applied were hard for recovery. Checked those flying wires came to loosed..preflight I heard them in good tune ( bass) post flight checked revealed great stressed no sound at all.
I suspect it might be the seal. Even though I got the engine brandnew but the period counts.
Phil

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
Phil
December 24, 2020, 9:49am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Stilson
WOW!! Great job on catching the temp problem early, another minute... that terrain looked unforgiving. Deadstick landing on a first test flight! Great pilot skills! I assume first landing in a taildragger and not bouncing up (and no ability to throttle up to recover) great job! Get that engine sorted out and fix the tail (I assume that clunky metallic sound was the horizontal stabilizer hitting the sheet metal end marker and that tipped you on your nose). I've heard that same "clunk" sound...(excursion and runway light post..).  You built it, you can fix it, don't give up.  It looked like it flys nice.

Stilson,
Thank you. Yes, you are right minimax is nice plane. Very maneuverable.
I loved it.
Regards,
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Saga of 8 minute maiden flight. RP-S2357.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment