Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Twist Away
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Twist Away  This thread currently has 168 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
November 30, 2020, 4:56pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 20 minutes
Those of us who fly behind Rotax engines know how difficult it is to remove the four socket head cap screws holding the recoil starter in place using an Allen wrench. The space between the starter cover and firewall is very limited making it difficult to turn the wrench once you get a wrench in there. Additionally, the long end of the wrench is engaged in the screw, leaving only the short end for applying torque.

My solution was to make a "handle" for the Allen wrench. Another solution is to replace the socket head cap screws with hex head bolts, but beware, not all sockets will fit over the bolt head and still clear the recoil's cover.

If you don't use this tip in this application, you may find another use for it. For me, it goes in my toolbox.

First, layout a circle equal in radius to the Allen Wrench's offset on a piece of wood. Drill a hole the a bit smaller than the wrench size. Make a groove radiating from the center and as wide and deep as the wrench is thick. I used a chisel but other methods will produce the same results.

Second, cut the circular layout using a hole saw, fly cutter, scroll saw, or chain saw. Whatever works for you.

Third, a little wood burning provides "grip" and adds some character to the handle.

To use, press the Allen wrench into the hole and groove. Then like Chubby Checker sang: "Twist Away." (us older guys will get this)

Attachment: making_groove_etlb__2828.jpg
Size: 31.33 KB

Attachment: disk_cut_out_etlb__1500.jpg
Size: 19.47 KB

Attachment: wrench_fully_in_handle_etlb__1778.jpg
Size: 87.71 KB

Attachment: hand_holding_wrench_etlb__6368.jpg
Size: 30.42 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
PUFF
December 1, 2020, 12:25pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
you can buy a little T handle Ratchet that is 90 degree geared.  Very compact.
Also, T Handle Allens are common.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
fiebichpv
December 1, 2020, 9:33pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks for that information Ace, I was unaware. The ratchet sounds ideal as it would provide faster rotational motion than what I created. Where were you when I needed that information?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
fiebichpv
December 1, 2020, 9:35pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Here are some photos of using that Allen handled wrench in the tight space between the recoil starter and the firewall. I could only show three of the four screw locations as the fourth one was completely hidden from view. I will try to post them in my original post. Well that didn't work either. I guess there just will be no photos.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment