Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Airbike like home made electric ultralight Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

Airbike like home made electric ultralight  This thread currently has 400 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
bob.hood
November 15, 2020, 2:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
I don't know if any of you are aware of Peter Sripol? He's been experimenting with making his own electric powered aircraft for several years, and his latest creation (mk4) is very similar in design to an Airbike. Take a look at this video to see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp7JcmwKQcU

I've also found another video by him of his mk3 creation, which is somewhat Minimax like in its design and is powered by a powered parachute engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqdtz3tJkbY
Logged Offline
Private Message
ITman496
November 15, 2020, 5:48pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Been following this with interest.  I like the foam wings, they seem like a very neat idea.  Do not like the no ailerons though..
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
radfordc
November 16, 2020, 3:13am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from ITman496
Do not like the no ailerons though..

Any particular reason....or just a personal bias?  I have a few hundred hours in Quicksilvers with no ailerons and they perform perfectly well.  I've flown them in 20 mph wind and maintained control with no problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
ITman496
November 16, 2020, 3:27am Report to Moderator

Ace
No real reason, honestly.  My first two RC airplanes were rudder only and it was miserable, and then after that, I had 3 axis airplanes and they were so so so much better.  So in my head there is probably a bias that has been formed.  I'm sure they are fine!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Greg Doe
November 16, 2020, 7:17pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
ITman, We have to remember that we fly our models way different then we fly our man carrying counterparts. Because we fly the models standing still, we fly in front of us, making far more turns then we do flying full scale. We also make much shallower turns with our full scales. Two axis rudder only airplanes don't fly as coordinated as three axis aircraft, but they get the job done. I don't think that there are many owners of TEAM aircraft, (and other designs as well) that haven't flown them around with their feet just to see if it can be done.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
ITman496
November 16, 2020, 10:42pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I'm honestly excited to try and see what its like once I get mine going!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
radfordc
November 18, 2020, 4:08am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
My old CGS Hawk could be flown rudder only.  In fact it could be flown to a landing without using ailerons or elevator.  I would release the stick and steer with rudder and control altitude with power.  When I reached the roundout point I would drop the flaps and the plane would pitch up to a perfect landing attitude.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Airbike like home made electric ultralight

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment