Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Steel Gear Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Steel Gear  This thread currently has 281 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
streffpilot
November 12, 2020, 2:37pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 11 hours 14 minutes
Hello, could those of you with the welded steel gear from TEAM provide some pictures and reviews? I'm considering this setup for my 1550V, as I would like to do LITE off airport flying, and just wanted to see how it all looks and works.

Thank you!
Logged Offline
Private Message
BlueMax
November 16, 2020, 4:36pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
I have the steel gear on my Vmax. The only real improvement is it does away with the solid axel which may reduce your tendency to nose over if you make a forced landing in tall grass. You still need a halfway smooth landing surface just like the wooden gear as there is no suspension and a rough field is hard on the airframe in general. Personally, if I wouldnt be willing to land somewhere with the stock gear, I wouldnt do it with the steal gear either!

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Greg Doe
November 16, 2020, 7:28pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Chris, I sent you an email about ten days ago, and haven't heard back. You haven't had a recent change to your email address have you?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
beragoobruce
November 16, 2020, 8:51pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
The steel gear is also heavier than the wooden version. About 8 lbs IIRC.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
joe.scalet
November 18, 2020, 1:47am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
I have attached a copy of the Team Air Bike Brochure from August 1995 Sport Aviation. This aircraft has the single tube gear (same as mine). The gear on mine has cable/spring cross bracing that allows some "give", otherwise a hard landing will bend the tubes which can easily be bent back. If you want more detail please let me know and I will take some pictures.
Apparently the brochure is too large for this site. Please PM we with an email address and I will send it.
Joe
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment