Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›   Maiden Flight 1100R
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Maiden Flight 1100R  This thread currently has 259 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
BlueMax
November 3, 2020, 3:37pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
For the last 2 months I have been helping my friend Tim get his 1100r ready for its first flight. It was built back in 08 but was never quite finished or flown. The trailing edge had popped loose when the builder shrunk the fabric and after that the project was abandoned til my friend aquired it. Over the last few weeks we repaired the trailing edges, cleaned her up, rigged the flight controls, did the W/B and got her ready to go. She is a box stock 1100R powered by a hirth F33 and has a single 5 gallon nose tank and flaperons.

Sunday we got good weather with sunny skies, warm temps and a light breeze at 6ish kts, unfortunately a direct crosswind but the plane was ready for her first flight. I made a series of 6 hops down the runway making final adjustments to the aileron rigging and elevator trim. Satisfied that all was well I back taxied down the 3500ft strip a final time, lined her up and opend the throttle on the little Hirth F33. I was immediately impressed with the punch the Hirth provided, definitely pulled harder than any 277 i have flown. The takeoff roll was short, well under 200ft and climbing out at 40mph and 6k rpm had me above 300ft by the end of the runway. I leveled at 400ft, turned downwind and throttled down to 5700rpm, airspped indicated 55mph and the airplane was flying wings level but requiring slight foward pressure on the stick. I continued on about a mile south of the field before swinging her around to line up on final. Throttled back and crossing the numbers at about 50ft i let her settle into ground effect and added just enough power to keep her floating, upwind wing low, to the taxiway turnoff at the far end. 200ft from the taxiway i cut power completely for a butter smooth 1 wheel landing and rolled onto the taxiway passed a few excited onlookers.

My takeaways from the first flight are:
1. Wayne Ison sure got it right with the 1100, keep the plane light with minimal extras and a small engine. There is not a sweeter flying bird in the sky, so easy to fly and land. Just thinking about it makes me smile!
2. The elevator trim needs backed off a little more as she likes to climb.
3. Prop needs to lose a degree or 2 of pitch as she would only turn 6280rpm in flight.
4. Rudder may be a bit out of rig but with the crosswind it was too hard to tell. Future test flights will determine if it is.

My friend Tim was overjoyed to see his plane fly, now he just needs to taxi taxi taxi and get his feet used to flying tailwheel. (Hes a tri gear pilot with GA time and about 50hrs flying weedhoppers).

A video of the first flight can be found here:
https://youtu.be/FO46YSYFFok

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
November 3, 2020, 3:54pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Hot digity dog. I love it.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
LSaupe
December 17, 2020, 4:55pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
Sharp looking bird.  Any issues with high CHT?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
BlueMax
December 18, 2020, 12:51pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
LSaupe,

CHTs have been behaving themselves, running about 410deg, well below the limit at 525deg.
EGTs are another story, this engine seems to be unbelievably sensitive to prop loading and jetting. a degree of pitch change in the prop can
change the EGT by 300 deg and change max rpm by nearly 200, meanwhile going up 10 jet sizes only yields a 100deg egt change. She is being
a pickle to dial in to perfection but we are slowly getting there.

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
aeronut
December 18, 2020, 9:49pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Hi Chris, I have 447 with an Ivo prop. You are correct about the load, some other things I found is grade of gas affects temps and I can not run in mid range rpm without temps rising. Once you find the sweet spot on the prop pitch things settle down fine. I tried a two blade Ivo but could not get enough pitch without getting into a too long prop so I went to a 3 blade and all was well. I hope you get to enjoy your airplane or recreational vehicle.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
fiebichpv
December 19, 2020, 3:52pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 20 minutes
Nice story about Tims plane Chris. I hope to be able to fly with him and you sometime in the spring. Perhaps all of us could make a flight to Beaumont, KS to have breakfast in the restaurant/hotel.

Paul D. Fiebich
a.k.a. AirBike Ace
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›   Maiden Flight 1100R

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment