Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Himax door Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Himax door  This thread currently has 374 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
textailwinds
September 18, 2020, 2:26am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 3 hours 17 minutes
What tool should I use to cut the
Himax door out of the fuselage?
Logged Offline
Private Message
flyguyeddy
October 5, 2020, 4:13pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 days 7 hours 42 minutes
wouldnt something like a multi tool (oscillating tool) with a fine blade make the smallest cut?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
Stilson
October 6, 2020, 2:50am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
I'm personally a big fan of "Japanese pull saws" . Their teeth are backwards so they cut on the pull not on the push stroke and that lets them have very thin blades that are very controllable.   For precision cuts I have a couple of scrap sticks that I've run through a thickness planner to make them perfectly square, I clamp one along the line I want to cut then hold the blade against it with one hand while pulling it with the other, it makes perfect square cuts with a kerf narrower than a standard pencil line (about the width of mechanical pencil line).
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
Tom
October 6, 2020, 12:27pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
I concur.  I do all cutting with pull saws.  They do beautiful work and they cut very fast because the blade is so thin.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
textailwinds
October 6, 2020, 3:42pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 3 hours 17 minutes
Thanks for the response guys.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
Stilson
October 7, 2020, 1:45am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
I haven't seen the highmax door details (I unfortunately didn't down load the plans before team started charging), but assume that the side is built as a unit then the door is cut free, if going with a very precise narrow curf cut you may have to slightly angle the cut to allow the door to open without binding.  A few degrees of angle making the outside ever so slightly larger than the inside to let it both swing out and seat nicely when closed with a very thin (felt?) weatherstripping installed.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
aeronut
October 8, 2020, 1:02pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
A flush cut saw might be the weapon of choice. It is very thin and cuts on the draw stroke and has no set in the teeth so the curf is no wider than the blade. They are inexpensive and most all hardware stores will have one.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment