Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Minimax 1100r Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Minimax 1100r  This thread currently has 677 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
homer
September 14, 2020, 11:15pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 36 minutes
So I have been really thinking about building a max but unsure which one. I don't have a license and obviously will need some training in a tail dragger but that's another story for another day.  I have been doing tons of reading about engines, and can't seem to find an answer. So if I go with the 1100r and use a half veedub, will it still make 103 weight?  I have read the 2 strokes drink fuel and my experience with snowmobiling is they can be unreliable. Anyone have thoughts on that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
radfordc
September 15, 2020, 12:55pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
It's possible to make 103 weight with a 1/2 VW, according to some who have done it.  It requires careful work to cut every ounce out of the plane and engine.

But, suppose you finish the plane and find that its 1 lb overweight.....will you still fly it as a UL?  What if it's 5 lbs over, or 10 or 20?  The truth is that no one but you will ever know or care.  Keep it light, keep it simple, fly it the way you're supposed to and don't sweat the small stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
radfordc
September 15, 2020, 1:02pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from homer
SI have read the 2 strokes drink fuel and my experience with snowmobiling is they can be unreliable. Anyone have thoughts on that?

I don't think two strokes are inherently less reliable than four strokes if properly operated and maintained.  I've had engine failures with both types.  Modern two strokes have been highly developed from the days when we used converted snow mobile engines.  A friend of mine flys a Hummel with a 1/2 VW and has had one failure when the crank broke.

A two stoke may burn more fuel per hour than a four stroke....or not.  But, practically it doesn't matter much.  You will find that 5 gals of gas is more than enough for 1.5 hour of flight which is a very long time flying a small airplane.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
homer
September 15, 2020, 5:08pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 36 minutes
The weight difference is around what 50 lbs?  And yes proper maintenance and up keep makes a difference in reliability of any engine. This will be my first actual airplane so I have lots to learn. Thanks for the input. Is the birth f33 better than the rotax 277?  Been reading up on my options, lot of info and seems like it boils down to just preference than anything. I like 4 strokes, just in my experience with small engines, they tend to be more reliable
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Bob Daly
September 15, 2020, 5:15pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
The 1100 Minimax can be built weighing about 170-175 lbs less the engine.  Then you have firewall forward weight budget of 80-85 lbs. So you'll need a cut case 1/2 VW and a light engine mount.  Armstrong starter of course  
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
radfordc
September 16, 2020, 7:04pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from homer
I like 4 strokes, just in my experience with small engines, they tend to be more reliable

You would think so.  But consider this.  Take a factory built, highly developed two stroke (Hirth, Rotax, Moster, etc) and compare it to a home built four stroke like a 1/2 VW.  Which is more likely to be built to "spec" and with no unforeseen defects?

Cutting a VW engine in half and making it run reliably isn't a foregone conclusion.  The 1/2 VW that I built had lots of problems with the oil system and the engine eventually self destructed at 32 hours of use.  My friend's 1/2 VW also sort of self destructed when the crank broke and the prop left the scene.  Oil pressure issues and broken cranks aren't all that uncommon with this engine.

If I were going to use a 1/2 VW again I would likely buy one from Scott Casler.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
beragoobruce
September 16, 2020, 10:46pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Consider this: a 2-stroke has three moving parts. How many in a 4-stroke? And isn't it moving parts that usually fail?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment